Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 07:02 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Honestly, I've had about 10 different jobs in my life, and I have never had a 40-hour a week job. The closest thing I had to a 40-hour work week was a temporary job I had unloading semi-trailers for about a month(and that was about 48 hours a week). The last time I worked for someone else(I'm self-employed now), I was basically a taxi driver. And I worked 24 hours a week.

No one is forcing you to work 40 hours a week. People choose to work 40 hours a week because they want the money(and many work far more than 40 hours a week).

I have a friend who used to work for a concrete ready-mix company. He would work about 12 hours a day, six days a week. He loved the overtime.

A lot of Companies absolutely love part-time and temporary workers. Either because they have "peak hours" where they need extra help(these types of jobs include transportation, entertainment, food service, retail, etc). Or because they operate more than five days a week or stay open more than eight hours a day.

If you don't want to work 40 hours a week, don't work 40 hours a week.

The real problem here, is that people want to work less and get paid the same. They don't like the fact that most employers want people who can work long hours. So people who refuse to work long hours will be relegated to low-pay jobs.

My sister for instance is a manager of a gas station. There are times where she works nearly 100 hours in a week. Because people call in sick and she can't find anyone to cover the shift, so she has to do it. On top of that, even if she has plenty of employees and they are showing up. Her weekly work-load basically requires her to work around 50+ hours a week minimum. She gets paid on salary. And there are times where her compensation, after you consider all the hours she works, is nearly the same as minimum wage.

I wouldn't do her job in a million years. And I tell her all the time she never should have taken the job as manager, or she should step down to assistant. But she. doesn't mind doing the work, and she likes the money, benefits, and prestige of being a manager. And she intends to "go up" further in the company.

One of the first jobs I had, I worked for domino's pizza. I started out working 8-10 hours a week. And that was actually more than I even wanted(I only worked Friday and Saturday evening during rush, about 4-9 pm). I worked there for a couple years. And I went from working 8-10 hours a week, to working a couple additional nights a week(around 16-20 hours a week). Then I was promoted to shift runner, and I began "opening" the store at 10 am, and working till 4 pm, every day of the week. Plus, on Friday I would work from 10 till 8 pm. So I was getting around 34 hours a week. With one week I worked over 40 hours a week. And I told them I did not even want to work 30 hours a week, they needed to cut my hours. Which pissed off the manager(Frank, the douchebag).

The problem was that, I was basically the best employee they had working there. I was honest, smart, easy to work with, always on time, never called in sick. And I could effectively work any hours(no responsibilities). I just didn't want to work, but they wanted me to work basically all the time. They kept wanting to promote me and throw more responsibilities on my shoulders, and I simply didn't want them. This has basically been the story of my entire life.

At my last job, they said I was the "least ambitious man they have ever met in their life." Because I refused to be promoted, and I refused to even answer my phone on my days off. And if they don't like it, they can fire me, I don't care. I'll find another job.

I have absolutely no sympathy for those who complain about working 40 hours a week. Your problem is that you are obsessed with materialism. You want to be rich(or at least well-off), you just don't want to have to work for it. Cry me a river.
Great post!
Funny how so many are ignoring it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 07:05 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,007,828 times
Strange, the linked article by the OP is rather short on any facts, although long on opinion (such as calling some guy a 'goon').

I will say this: even a work-week of 29 hours would be 29 more hours of work than the professional whiners herein do each week.

Old 09-26-2013, 07:09 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,087,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Okay, well that just means that people who won't be working 40 hours a week will turn to themselves and begin thinking of ways to make up for the shortage of their budgets.
It means that people may need to take additional part time jobs to compensate for cutbacks on their primary job. It's more efficient to put in 40 hours at one location/job than to put in 20 at each of 2 locations/jobs. Add in the loss of healthcare and substitute the need to obtain coverage through Obamacare and you can add in more stress and even less results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
In a way, it's a good thing because what America needs is more inventors and entrepreneurship, and who knows, the successful ones might flourish and build factories that might employ dozens of people.
We need productivity and entrepreneurship. I suspect for many, "following your passion" means we'll end up with more dreamers and poets. Didn't the Occupy Movement show the idiocy of "following your dreams" with degrees in basketweaving, art history, and lesbian studies instead of finding truly productive endeavors?

Old 09-26-2013, 07:09 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,852,928 times
29 hours, so that you can get a second 29 hour job to make ends meet and still do NOT qualify for any benefits... follow your passion into your grave... no retirement, no health benefits, no paid vacation... nada... give it up for PASSION!! Given the success rate of 1 year old businesses, you'll probably end up in bankruptcy... just what the liberals want... for you to be dependent on the government even more... MOAR!!

Old 09-26-2013, 07:10 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Strange, the linked article by the OP is rather short on any facts, although long on opinion (such as calling some guy a 'goon').

I will say this: even a work-week of 29 hours would be 29 more hours of work than the professional whiners herein do each week.
Another liberal defending stupidity because it was said by one of their own..

btw, there is a video on the link of her saying it..

Old 09-26-2013, 07:13 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
29 hours, so that you can get a second 29 hour job to make ends meet and still do NOT qualify for any benefits... follow your passion into your grave... no retirement, no health benefits, no paid vacation... nada... give it up for PASSION!! Given the success rate of 1 year old businesses, you'll probably end up in bankruptcy... just what the liberals want... for you to be dependent on the government even more... MOAR!!
And dont forget, not only is it great that you now get to work 58 hours, but also your spouse will, thereby increasing the need for government to be the mother/father of your children...

yaa, democratic success at its finest..

This goes to show why we should NEVER negotiate with terrorists.. cough, I mean Democrats..

Old 09-26-2013, 07:17 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,119,159 times
And then Pelosi will want to tax "Passion".

Old 09-26-2013, 07:20 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
nancy is so out of touch that if reality bit her on the ass she shouldn't know what it was. it's been a very long time since anything was even interested in nancy's ass anyway. The last guy I can recall was King Tut.

These filthy rich stinking democrats think we all have money. nancy has a bundle and a half and also has tax paid everything to include body guards with full auto sub machine guns, not to mention a pretty fine collection of her own fire arms and weapons.

I always love the far left whine about WHO is stinking rich, the likes of nancy, boxer and Mikee Moore who whine the most about not having enough.

The far left screamers are just about ready to find out what 29 hours a week jobs are like because you will find people need 5 of these to get by, and that won't cover following much of any passion, then the added burden of a govt pay out each month for healthcare you may or not need.

Me i can't wait to see stink hit the fan.. The lefties deserve every stinking bit of what is going to happen to them next and just for PAssing a bill to SEE What's in it!

What difference does it make?

Old 09-26-2013, 07:21 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
And then Pelosi will want to tax "Passion".
Shhhhhh don't give them any ideas..... They want to tax CO 2 and pretty soon sunshine. They already tax the wind now. Ask any sailor.

Old 09-26-2013, 07:22 AM

5,735 posts, read 3,252,087 times
this shrew of a woman really has her head up her . And liberals hang on every word she says and throws women like Michele Bachmann under a buss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post

Last edited by CaseyB; 09-26-2013 at 07:48 AM.. Reason: language
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies