U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 07:26 AM

86,067 posts, read 78,789,278 times

Advertisements

Pelosi thinks not working full time and having a health insurance card is what Americans want.

At least there are some members of Congress (D & R) who have spoken to Americans who want their hours back.
"Forty Hours is Full Time Act of 2013" was introduced in June.
Press Release | Press Releases | Newsroom | U.S. Senator Joe Donnelly of Indiana

But it looks like it's going to just sit "in committee" in both the House and Senate and die a slow death of ignorance.
So much for a government that is supposed to represent the people rather than big business.
Forty Hours Is Full Time Act of 2013 (S. 701) - GovTrack.us
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 07:27 AM

23,837 posts, read 21,568,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Honestly, I've had about 10 different jobs in my life, and I have never had a 40-hour a week job. The closest thing I had to a 40-hour work week was a temporary job I had unloading semi-trailers for about a month(and that was about 48 hours a week). The last time I worked for someone else(I'm self-employed now), I was basically a taxi driver. And I worked 24 hours a week.

No one is forcing you to work 40 hours a week. People choose to work 40 hours a week because they want the money(and many work far more than 40 hours a week).

I have a friend who used to work for a concrete ready-mix company. He would work about 12 hours a day, six days a week. He loved the overtime.

A lot of Companies absolutely love part-time and temporary workers. Either because they have "peak hours" where they need extra help(these types of jobs include transportation, entertainment, food service, retail, etc). Or because they operate more than five days a week or stay open more than eight hours a day.

If you don't want to work 40 hours a week, don't work 40 hours a week.

The real problem here, is that people want to work less and get paid the same. They don't like the fact that most employers want people who can work long hours. So people who refuse to work long hours will be relegated to low-pay jobs.

My sister for instance is a manager of a gas station. There are times where she works nearly 100 hours in a week. Because people call in sick and she can't find anyone to cover the shift, so she has to do it. On top of that, even if she has plenty of employees and they are showing up. Her weekly work-load basically requires her to work around 50+ hours a week minimum. She gets paid on salary. And there are times where her compensation, after you consider all the hours she works, is nearly the same as minimum wage.

I wouldn't do her job in a million years. And I tell her all the time she never should have taken the job as manager, or she should step down to assistant. But she doesn't mind doing the work, and she likes the money, benefits, and prestige of being a manager. And she intends to "go up" further in the company.

One of the first jobs I had, I worked for domino's pizza. I started out working 8-10 hours a week. And that was actually more than I even wanted(I only worked Friday and Saturday evening during rush, about 4-9 pm). I worked there for a couple years. And I went from working 8-10 hours a week, to working a couple additional nights a week(around 16-20 hours a week). Then I was promoted to shift runner, and I began "opening" the store at 10 am, and working till 4 pm, every day of the week. Plus, on Friday I would work from 10 till 8 pm. So I was getting around 34 hours a week. With one week I worked over 40 hours a week. And I told them I did not even want to work 30 hours a week, they needed to cut my hours. Which pissed off the manager(Frank, the douchebag).

The problem was that, I was basically the best employee they had working there. I was honest, smart, easy to work with, always on time, never called in sick. And I could effectively work any hours(no responsibilities). I just didn't want to work, but they wanted me to work basically all the time. They kept wanting to promote me and throw more responsibilities on my shoulders, and I simply didn't want them. This has basically been the story of my entire life.

At my last job, they said I was the "least ambitious man they have ever met in their life." Because I refused to be promoted, and I refused to even answer my phone on my days off. And if they don't like it, they can fire me, I don't care. I'll find another job.

I have absolutely no sympathy for those who complain about working 40 hours a week. Your problem is that you are obsessed with materialism. You want to be rich(or at least well-off), you just don't want to have to work for it. Cry me a river.
Excellent post!

Old 09-26-2013, 07:29 AM

86,067 posts, read 78,789,278 times
The people most impacted by this rule are min wage workers who can barely pay the rent nevermind "follow their passions".

Old 09-26-2013, 07:32 AM

5,199 posts, read 4,055,420 times
Nancy is the same pig that treated us to this:

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) said Thursday that she opposes a cut in congressional pay because it would diminish the dignity of lawmakers' jobs.

"I don't think we should do it; I think we should respect the work we do," Pelosi told reporters in the Capitol. "I think it's necessary for us to have the dignity of the job that we have rewarded."

This disgraceful human being should never be allowed to use the words "respect" and "dignity". Ever.

Pelosi: Congressional pay cut undermines dignity of the job - The Hill - covering Congress, Politics, Political Campaigns and Capitol Hill | TheHill.com

Old 09-26-2013, 07:33 AM

8,347 posts, read 6,660,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
It means that people may need to take additional part time jobs to compensate for cutbacks on their primary job. It's more efficient to put in 40 hours at one location/job than to put in 20 at each of 2 locations/jobs. Add in the loss of healthcare and substitute the need to obtain coverage through Obamacare and you can add in more stress and even less results.

We need productivity and entrepreneurship. I suspect for many, "following your passion" means we'll end up with more dreamers and poets. Didn't the Occupy Movement show the idiocy of "following your dreams" with degrees in basketweaving, art history, and lesbian studies instead of finding truly productive endeavors?
Working hard, but not smart. I began working 40 hour work weeks, which escalated to working 55 to 60 hour work weeks, and of late, working 75 to 80 hour work weeks, call it greed, or, call it wanting to be self sufficient.

The conservative point of view presently is that Americans are lazy, especially the ones who voted democrat, without any facts to back up their claims.

Lesbian studies? wth are you talking about???!!

Old 09-26-2013, 07:35 AM

6,845 posts, read 4,383,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Try living in the reality of the French 35 hour workweek ---

"PARIS — A workweek famously limited by law to 35 hours has become a distant dream for many French, as executives chase ever-tougher deadlines and the rank and file look to make ends meet with overtime. French workers put in an average of 39.5 hours a week in 2011, continuing a steady rise in the decade since the 35-hour workweek was introduced and not far behind a European Union average of 40.3 hours, according to a Labor Ministry report."

For French, 35-hour workweek is elusive
This too... How's that short work week working out for ya?

French mocked for short work week, low retirement age

35 hour work week fading as the average full-time work week in France nears 40 hours

Old 09-26-2013, 07:36 AM

8,347 posts, read 6,660,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
LMAO where is all this entrepreneurship with the millions sitting on their a$$ collecting welfare and UE? The only one that is naïve is you and plus if someone did invent something it most likely would be slapped together in China or another country. That's how it works.
You evidently have no faith in your fellow American citizens. I have an idea, turn off rush limpbaugh, drudge, o really, and the other hard right wing messages for a few days, go outside, and take in some fresh air, I'll bet you can't.

Old 09-26-2013, 07:38 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,590,204 times
Maybe a lot will be able to " follow their passion" collecting aluminum cans along the highway to supplement their welfare checks. I, for one had a pension that that increased in value the more I worked. Had I not worked at least 40 hours over my time employed there, my pension payout now that I am retired wouldn't be enough to sustain me. True, a work week with less hours might work great for some, but I appreciate the fact that I did put in the hours because now I have an income stream and don't have to lift a finger. I'm sure many would say, work less hours, even part-time, and just save and put money in a 401k, or some other sort of retirement fund. And that would possibly work for some, but it wasn't something I could do with children, a mortgage, and other bills that drained my income at the time. And, since my pension is a direct benefit type, it seemed more stable that relying on a market based fund. Without allegiance to either political side, I would say that Pelosi is the epitome of those in high office. Those people are evidently out of touch with their constituent's standards of living.

Last edited by 124c41; 09-26-2013 at 07:58 AM..

Old 09-26-2013, 07:42 AM

69,360 posts, read 59,977,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
You evidently have no faith in your fellow American citizens. I have an idea, turn off rush limpbaugh, drudge, o really, and the other hard right wing messages for a few days, go outside, and take in some fresh air, I'll bet you can't.
I have TONS of faith in my fellow american citizen to do what they need to do without government dictating how many hours a week they can work, or what benefits they should require, or what they need to earn...

It seems your all fine and dandy with faith in the american citizen, provided government dictates what they should be hoping for..

Old 09-26-2013, 07:43 AM

5,815 posts, read 4,888,646 times
Default Pelosi: Death of 40-hour work week means freedom to ‘follow your passion’

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
And then Pelosi will want to tax "Passion".

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Working hard, but not smart. I began working 40 hour work weeks, which escalated to working 55 to 60 hour work weeks, and of late, working 75 to 80 hour work weeks, call it greed, or, call it wanting to be self sufficient.

The conservative point of view presently is that Americans are lazy, especially the ones who voted democrat, without any facts to back up their claims.

Lesbian studies? wth are you talking about???!!
I used to coach Women's softball many years,
I could teach that course.

Last edited by buddy5; 09-26-2013 at 08:03 AM.. Reason: Dementia/OCD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies