Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2013, 03:28 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,346,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
What's so great about the 40 hour work week that it seems to be immutable to you? Was the 40 hour work week handed down from GOD almighty? Was the 40 hour work week written into our federal or state constitutions?

Why can't people think maybe workers would do better with fewer hours?
There's nothing great about it at all. Unfortunately some people need 40 hours to make ends meet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 03:32 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
What's so great about the 40 hour work week that it seems to be immutable to you? Was the 40 hour work week handed down from GOD almighty? Was the 40 hour work week written into our federal or state constitutions?

Why can't people think maybe workers would do better with fewer hours?
Oh yes.. People are much happier with less food, clothing and less disposable income... We should all strive to work less and do without...

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Companies that didn't offer insurance to part time workers changed their employees hours to match the new definition put out by the IRS so they could continue to not offer insurance and not be subject to a government penalty of $2K per worker.

Did people just think businesses would roll over on this ?
I don't believe many people thought about anything. They rushed this pc. of crap bill as a bridge to single payer. The government wants to be in charge of our HC, because it makes us all beholding to them.

An army of totalitarian bureaucrats has taken over all aspects of our government.

3,353 posts, read 6,441,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
France doesn't have a 40 hour work week. It's worked well for them for a very long time. Humans are not slaves to their jobs. Americans are on the most psychiatric medications on Earth. With long work hours, coupled with few vacation days, I wonder why it's about working smart, not hard. Only fools work hard without getting results (I call it inefficiency)
What if someone wants to work a 40-hour working week? Couldn't you say they are essentially becoming slaves to financial disparity? I'd rather work 40-hours and earn that check to go on a vacation to France as opposed to working 30-hours a week and staying home painting the time I'm off.

Old 09-26-2013, 03:34 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
What if someone wants to work a 40-hour working week? Couldn't you say they are essentially becoming slaves to financial disparity? I'd rather work 40-hours and earn that check to go on a vacation to France as opposed to working 30-hours a week and staying home painting the time I'm off.
Nope..not 30, but 29 hours. At 30 hours you're considered a full time employee.

Old 09-26-2013, 03:38 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
There's nothing great about it at all. Unfortunately some people need 40 hours to make ends meet.

Only because as a society we have decided that in order to work fulltime requires 40hrs a week or something close to for hours a week. This can be changed.

Old 09-26-2013, 03:39 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Let's not forget that Pelosi believes unemployment is the best way to boost the economy, and create jobs.

That we must pass this bill in order to know what's in it.

Every week we don't pass a stimulus package, 500 million Americans lose their jobs. (is that where the population of the lost 7 states is?)

and my favorite

I believe Natural Gas is a cheap clean alternative to fossil fuels...

You simply cannot make this stuff up, and honestly, she isn't the brightest bulb in the house!

Old 09-26-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Oh yes.. People are much happier with less food, clothing and less disposable income... We should all strive to work less and do without...

I say the idea that a full time job requires 40hrs a week or close to that in order to make a living can be questioned and can be changed.

Old 09-26-2013, 03:40 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,544,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Let's not forget that Pelosi believes unemployment is the best way to boost the economy.

That we must pass this bill in order to know what's in it.

Every week we don't pass a stimulus package, 500 million Americans lose their jobs. (is that where population of the lost 7 states is?)

and my favorite

I believe Natural Gas is a cheap clean alternative to fossil fuels...

I mean she isn't the brightest light in the house
And yet the leftists think she's 'smart'.

Old 09-26-2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Companies did. Anywhere from 30-40 hours was full time. Companies decided.

So LOLOLOL right back at ya.
LOLOLOLOLOLOL Who is or isn't considered full time is and has been defined by the government for decades are you being serious?

Again, the government keeps track of full time and part time workers.

How did they do that without defining those terms? This is a very simple question.

Or do you believe that until President Obama was elected the government through the Department of labor didn't have definition of who is part and full time? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies