Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 06:54 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,711,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
I can't believe there is a contingent in Washington who are willing to go down to the wire and risk losing to the president again over ACA. They fought losing battles in two elections, the passage of the bill, the Supreme Court decision, multiple votes, now the debt ceiling. They should have shifted gears after the Supreme court decision. I think sending so many people into the market place in October will have a positive affect on second quarter numbers which are normally low. They will lose again.
In part I agree with you. I didn't really think there was anyone left in Washington that had the courage to risk their entire political career on doing what is right for the American people. I'm kind of glad I was proven wrong on that point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 07:07 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,174,352 times
As Andrew Wilkow stated yesterday on his show, there are now three classes of people in the United States:

1. Money is no object class. Regardless how much you raise the cost of something, it will not affect them. They will be able to keep their existing doctor and pay cash for services.
2. Subsidized class. These people don't care how much things cost because someone else is paying the difference.
3. Paying class. They don't qualify for a subsidy and when costs are increased due to taxes it directly impacts spending behavior. This is the old "middle class" that the liberals keep claiming they are helping.

Last edited by Spaten_Drinker; 09-27-2013 at 07:26 AM..

Old 09-27-2013, 07:12 AM

981 posts, read 899,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Hmmm,
Taxes are revenue for the government to run the Nation and provide the services it provides.
Medicare is paid into by those on it.
SS is paid into by those on it.
Seems as if someone is confused by what wealth redistribution means. Here is a suggestion, don't like paying into the system go find some place that doesn't do this, psssst, almost every affluent contry does so at even higher rates so you may have to settle for someplace a little less. Have fun.
Casper, I'm fine with that as long as the Washington cronies and union friends don't get a special pass to not participate in these programs they put on the taxpayer. And in the other European countries every class gets benefits from the system - private workers are guaranteed 6+ week of vacation, minimum of 1 year severance for layoffs, etc. And don't tell me I'm going to get my money back out of Medicare and SS. Since the government decided to open that piggy bank and go on a spending spree to secure more votes it is doubtful I will ever see a dime of the half million dollars I put into it.

Again, I don't necessarily have an issue with government programs - just make all contribute and deliver benefits that work for everybody. Right now it is a certain group that is already paying more than their fair share (percentage wise our family is in the top group and trust me we aren't rich) with no end in sight to the increases.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:15 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Hmmm,
Taxes are revenue for the government to run the Nation and provide the services it provides.
Medicare is paid into by those on it.
SS is paid into by those on it.
Seems as if someone is confused by what wealth redistribution means. Here is a suggestion, don't like paying into the system go find some place that doesn't do this, psssst, almost every affluent contry does so at even higher rates so you may have to settle for someplace a little less. Have fun.

If it were a fixed rate for everyone, that would be one thing. But a progressive taxing rate based upon your income, is wealth redistribution.
Taxing based upon your status in society, seems to pick winners and losers for us.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:23 AM

981 posts, read 899,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
If it were a fixed rate for everyone, that would be one thing. But a progressive taxing rate based upon your income, is wealth redistribution.
Taxing based upon your status in society, seems to pick winners and losers for us.
And do something about the huge class of people that operate cash businesses and pay little to no tax.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:39 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_IA View Post
and the rich are still rich and the poor are still poor, what are you going to do next to make things "fair"?

What will the next promise be that will get you to vote for a candidate?
A lot of Dems aren't crazy about Hillary. Put up a reasonable, moderate candidate - and win back the white house. See? Easy peasy.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:40 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
In part I agree with you. I didn't really think there was anyone left in Washington that had the courage to risk their entire political career on doing what is right for the American people. I'm kind of glad I was proven wrong on that point.
No, you were right. There aren't any of those left in Washington.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:12 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
And on that we actually agree, it is why I have pushed for either a Flat/Consumption/Fair tax instead of the BS system we have today and the funny thing is that the government would actually have More money to pay ithe Nations Bills and Expenses. That along with rational reforms to spending and we are set to move forward again as a Nation. Know why this is Not happening, we allow it to not happen. I was teased a few years back when Dubya was asked if he would consider a Flat tax and he said he would seriously consider it, then no one in Congress proposed and we are still right where we started. It (Reform) will never happen until WE DEMAND it.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:19 AM

46,952 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_IA View Post
and the rich are still rich and the poor are still poor, what are you going to do next to make things "fair"?
Keep hoping that eventually people will stop posting strawman arguments. Also, perhaps, in the future I won't have to help a friend move because she had to choose between paying her medication and her rent.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:17 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,745,659 times
Quote:
Funny I never saw anything in the Obamacare Bill that stated it would make the rich less rich or the poor less poor, seems like someone is confusing their issues.
No you didn't... but national healthcare was the issue of the time to correct a social injustice (as seen by the community organizers). Now that we have that forced upon us, what will be the next injustice that government will tell us needs correcting? People like Obama will stand before a crowd and use some issue to convince the people that the wealthy are only wealthy at the expense of the poor.... and the wheel of progressive fascism will keep rolling over on us in the name of fairness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies