Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2013, 01:20 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times

Advertisements

Is taking Mr. Barilla's advice - "if the gays don’t like it they can go an eat another brand" - really a boycott?

Old 09-27-2013, 01:25 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
If anyone was buying Barilla before, they have too much money to spend. It's freaking pasta. Why would anyone pay $!+ for a brand when store brands are 20% cheaper? Not to mention 69 cents at Grocery Outlet.
I stopped buying Barilla years ago (once I left college) because it's garbage pasta. I'd rather spend a bit more for quality.

Last edited by hammertime33; 09-27-2013 at 02:07 PM..

Old 09-27-2013, 01:36 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,074,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
I think it's more of an issue on principle. Of course profits won't dip, they are too big a company. Will some homosexuals and their supporters stop buying Barilla? Yes. Will I? Yes. Am I doing it to bankrupt them? No.

The thing is, is that us homosexuals kind of have to boycott these businesses. I mean if you were Asian and McDonald's CEO came out and said we're not going to portray Asians in our ads because it doesn't show a real family or what not, would you eat there? It's like being told you're a second class citizen and who wants that. With so many choices, why do I have to give my money to Chik-Fil-A or Barilla, I don't and I won't. Am I going to parade down the street about it, no, but I will tell people if they ask why I don't go to certain places or buy certain things.

I know to all the anti-gays it seems like the community is making a big deal out of it, but how would you feel if someone said something hateful about something that is inherent to you?
The thing is that nobody portrays gay families in advertising anyway (except in specific gay-targeted media.) It's definitely noticeable for those in the gay community. But (to Barilla) at least don't outright say that.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:49 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
Barilla is partnering with Chik-fil-a during Customer Alienation Week/Profit Repulsion Days.
Can you demonstrate that ANY negative results have happened to Chik-Fil-A?

Last edited by CaseyB; 09-27-2013 at 02:07 PM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 09-27-2013, 03:37 PM

382 posts, read 721,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
The thing is that, at least for me, with marriage and recognition come some protections under the law... On top of that, it does hurt to be called an abomination, likened to a pervert, called a deviant - who wants to be called these things?
I agree 100% on both counts.

I think the most compelling case for gay marriage is made in spelling out the ramifications in human terms, and I certainly hope that even people whose upbringing or temperament make them initially wary of "special rights for gays" do come around, through the eyes of compassion, to realizing that we are all human beings.

As for bigotry and hateful language, of course it's abhorrent.

Old 09-27-2013, 05:16 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,943,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Josef the Chewable View Post
I agree 100% on both counts.

I think the most compelling case for gay marriage is made in spelling out the ramifications in human terms, and I certainly hope that even people whose upbringing or temperament make them initially wary of "special rights for gays" do come around, through the eyes of compassion, to realizing that we are all human beings.

As for bigotry and hateful language, of course it's abhorrent.
Maybe their first task in enlightemnet is to stop incorrectly calling it "special rights". Rights afforded all are for all. No one person affirming their rights is no more...or no less, special than any other person.

When a person wishes to marry... He is not of a group, a tribe, or a class. He is one person, before God, willing to join with another person. These two people...to be joined, represent no other persons than themselves.

Old 09-27-2013, 05:37 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonorio View Post
I probably have more gay friends than most people, but the gay activists are the most hateful bullies in all of the world.

PS Barilla sauce has been my choice for quite some time now...

I was waiting for someone to sway "... some of my best friends are ..." ... "... BUT ..."

Old 09-27-2013, 05:41 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Can you demonstrate that ANY negative results have happened to Chik-Fil-A?
I can.

Chik-Fil-A was kicked off the campuses of several universities. The one at Drexel Univ. near my home is hanging on for dear life ... by reaching out to the gay student organizations there. At the University of Pennsylvania their application to open a place was rejected.

Old 09-27-2013, 05:42 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,936,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I was waiting for someone to sway "... some of my best friends are ..." ... "... BUT ..."

Does anyone ever actually believe that line?

Old 09-27-2013, 05:48 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Maybe they don't sell it at Wal-Mart?
They sell Barilla at WalMart, as well as a few other brands, such as Clasico, Newmans, and quite a few others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies