Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 07:35 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times

Advertisements

I graduated in 1981. We did the moment of silence. No one not ever refered to it as prayer time, infered that we should pray or belittled any who didnt.
To me its a case of the left trying to force their views on any who disagree with their stand.
Its PC to bash christians of any type, but to question the athiest crowd or bash on them is the same as denying them their rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2007, 07:43 PM

119 posts, read 202,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I graduated in 1981. We did the moment of silence. No one not ever refered to it as prayer time, infered that we should pray or belittled any who didnt.
To me its a case of the left trying to force their views on any who disagree with their stand.
Its PC to bash christians of any type, but to question the athiest crowd or bash on them is the same as denying them their rights.
totally agree with you.

Old 11-17-2007, 07:52 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,473,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texcali32 View Post
OMG, how is the state promoting religion??
Let's review: The title of the act is The Silent Reflection and Student Prayer Act. How could anyone ever construe that as a promotion of religion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by texcali32 View Post
answer my question...how is this hurting ANYONE????
Wrong question. The actual question is what legitimate state interest is being served or advanced by this act? There is none. End of story. As to who will be hurt, the answer is all of those of minority or no religion who are made to feel as outsiders by the state or somehow inferior by either their teachers or their peers.

Old 11-17-2007, 07:58 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,473,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Who declared that? Christians have every right to their religions, and both the establishment and free exercise clauses need to be applied to protect their rights. What a few too many Christians fail to recognize is that their religious rights extend to the tips of their own fingers and no further. They may not use their free exercise rights to abrogate mine, and there is a sizable and committed group that calls themselves Christian who are all about doing exactly that...

Old 11-17-2007, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Let's review: The title of the act is The Silent Reflection and Student Prayer Act. How could anyone ever construe that as a promotion of religion?

Wrong question. The actual question is what legitimate state interest is being served or advanced by this act? There is none. End of story. As to who will be hurt, the answer is all of those of minority or no religion who are made to feel as outsiders by the state or somehow inferior by either their teachers or their peers.
Hmmm Is that not the effect a ban would have on those who believe in a moment of silence? Or the effect of the PC crowd who bash on christians without mercy?
It just seems that way to much effort is put into denying a very few seconds of a school day. How hard is it to accept the notion if you dont like to pray then don't? I would understand if they were forced to recite a prayer outloud. Its silent. Who would know what you do or dont do with it?

Old 11-17-2007, 08:04 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,999,520 times
I don't think the ruling "bans moments of silence" so much as it bans presumably religiously-motivated laws mandating statewide, daily "moments of silence" apparently intended to encourage prayer, at least according to the name of the law. While it's doubtful that the law will ever harm anyone, aside than wasting a minute or two of their time daily, there does on the other hand seem to be an intention of encouraging students to pray, which shouldn't be a function of local, state, or federal governments, but there are far more important issues to worry about on the "separation of church & state" front than this. "Abstinence-only sex education," gay rights, and the school privatization/voucher issue, for instance.

Old 11-17-2007, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Who declared that? Christians have every right to their religions, and both the establishment and free exercise clauses need to be applied to protect their rights. What a few too many Christians fail to recognize is that their religious rights extend to the tips of their own fingers and no further. They may not use their free exercise rights to abrogate mine, and there is a sizable and committed group that calls themselves Christian who are all about doing exactly that...
You refer to Jahova's witnesses and such. In this I agree with you. A moment of silence is just that. Silent... It imposes nothing on anyone other than you are expected to be quiet for a moment.

Old 11-17-2007, 08:10 PM

119 posts, read 202,946 times
Quote:

stay with me here...a moment of silence is NOT promoting religion. frankly I think we need a little prayer in our schools and no one is forcing anyone to do it or not do it. again, whatever the act may be called, it's not harmful in my opinion. Kids made to feel like outsiders?? really because the students around them bow their heads? We live in a church going community, I have 3 kids and we do not attend church..my kids do not feel like outsiders. We do pray though and something ive found is that people who practice religion "usually" dont go around making people feel bad if they dont. Thats just maybe the radical small few that you are thinking of.

Old 11-17-2007, 08:14 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
Quote:
Yes, all you want. Feel free to mix them in with moments of evasion and jocular non-lucidity if you will. What becomes a problem is when agents of the state compel a captive audience of impressionable young minds to observe a 'moment of silence' that everyone by now understands to be a code-word for "something else". There is no legitimate state interest to be served or advanced by what it pretends to be, and there is a long-standing Constitutional proscription against what it actually is.
"Everyone who now understands" often understands incorrectly, particularly when no words are utered or thoughts expressed. To fear silence is to fear thoughts.

I see your pompous superciliousness and raise you a jocular evasion....

Old 11-17-2007, 08:16 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
Quote:

Why? Because of the name of the statute?

How absurd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies