Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 09:30 PM

25,721 posts, read 18,788,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
You have got to be kidding. Republicans are the ones who want to shut down the government over Obamacare, but you're accusing Obama of having a tantrum when things go don't go his way?!

Unreal.
Government shutdown? We'll never get so lucky because hell is never closed for business. However, if someone could sprinkle some holy water and make them disappear, it would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 09:32 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,879,293 times
Quote:
You have got to be kidding. Republicans are the ones who want to shut down the government over Obamacare, but you're accusing Obama of having a tantrum when things go don't go his way?!

Unreal.
You are confused, it's comrade obama who will shut down the government if it were to be shut down, which I hope it is.
The Republicans submitted a great plan to keep the gov running, but obama rejected it. If the government shuts down it will be on the little Chicago Hitler...

Old 09-27-2013, 09:50 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cecilsav View Post
So I take it you won't be voting for Ted Cruz?
That would be correct. However, he is not the current president, so there is a different standard for him to follow. The way Obama whines is beneath the dignity of the office. I have been around to see the presidency in action from Eisenhower on, and no president we have ever had has acted like he does - none. Carter was ineffective but he wasn't a blame thrower or whiner. Nixon was certainly had his issues but he at least acted presidential, even as he was resigning his office. Lord knows the rest of them had their issues, but Obama is the first to act like a spoiled child.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 09-27-2013 at 09:59 PM..

Old 09-27-2013, 10:01 PM

21,468 posts, read 10,570,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Yes, I read your post. You said to promote and 'incentivize' healthcare. And I asked how you would do that, and you replied by calling me a bunch of names.

Thanks for the thoughtful comment.
Obama wanted to go down in history as the first president to get healthcare reform in this country, so despite the fact that we were hemorrhaging jobs like crazy and supposedly the banks were on the brink of disaster, he pushed his democrat-controlled congress to rush through a plan ahead of doing something to help people get jobs. The president does have some things he could do to encourage job growth, like lowering the corporate tax rate to encourage companies to come here, give tax incentives to bring back manufacturing (or remove the incentives to offshore jobs already in place). Maybe open more public lands to drilling to get those revenues (which he seemed somewhat open to before the BP oil spill).

Had he focused on those policies first, he would have had a congress that was more willing to work with him on healthcare reform. In a global economy where technology makes more and more jobs obsolete, it's not good for companies to shed workers because once those workers are gone there is no incentive for companies to rehire them or replace them.

And if they were going to get a vote on healthcare reform without a single Republican vote, why didn't they go all the way and do universal healthcare? At least then the companies wouldn't have to worry about that added expense and have more money for their workforce. I realize that the goal of Obamacare is to make so many companies force people into the exchanges that it will push us towards universal care, but why be so Machiavellian about it?

Old 09-27-2013, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
I know that, but an assumption that one lives pay check to pay check will receive subsidies is not correct like the previous poster proclaimed. Plus is does not account for cost of living in various parts of the US. Someone making 400% above the poverty line in one area might be a decent living. Someone making that where I live would not be able to make ends meet.
And we're not talking about a person fresh out of college with a new job, who can take into consideration the added costs of insurance before purchasing a house or having a family. We're talking about people who already have all these expenses and just piling on. It's $700 per month in ADDITION to what they're already paying, and with higher prices of food and gas already reducing incomes.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:25 PM

Quote:

Unreal.
Republicans are using the only leverage they have to try to do something about this law that they didn't vote for and a majority don't want. Obama could at least attempt to talk to them instead of acting like it's the first time in the history of anything that this has happened (it's not).

I keep hearing that the public voted on this bill in the last election, but let's be honest here. The worst provisions of the bill were deliberately set to happen AFTER that election. Now people are starting to realize how much it will cost them and they don't like it. Obama has given businesses another year before they have to comply, but he needs as many individuals to buy insurance to fund it that he can't give us an extension. It really looks bad when congressional staffers get subsidies despite high incomes. If the thing was so great, why not make it effective before the 2012 election?

Old 09-27-2013, 11:25 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
So this is the conservative position if the new health care law doesn't work they'll trash it, and if it does work they'll trash it. This is why I write that conservatives don't care about public policy outcomes and that reality is completely irrelevant to conservatives.
That's a hasty generalization. It's a logical fallacy where you draw an overly broad conclusion from insufficient evidence.

In addition, you have no idea what conservatives care about. So even if you weren't committing a known logical fallacy, you'd still have no rational way to draw that conclusion. But attributing derogatory motives to conservatives is par for the course for liberals.
Quote:
They are flat out going to ignore, until they can't, the prices which aren't high for those the health care law is meant to target.
The health care law targets everyone. If it didn't target everyone, then there wouldn't be a mandate requiring everyone to participate.

The prices are high for everyone. It's just that some people don't have to pay the prices because they get subsidies.

According to Obama's own claims, the individual mandate is not a tax, if you like your plan you can keep it, and the costs for the average family will go down by $2500.

None of those things has turned out to be true. Sorry but you don't get to zero in on one segment of the population which gets subsidies and claim the plan's a success because they're paying less. It's dishonest, it's hypocritical, and it's false - the cost of their care isn't lower, it's just that the cost of their care is being paid for by other people.
Quote:
So it doesn't matter if the program works, it won't lessen the criticism for conservatives who were insisting that prices in the exchange would be very high.
The prices are high. You're conflating subsidies with low prices. If something costs me $2 and I take $1 from you to pay for it, then the cost of it doesn't become $1. It's just that I'm using your money to pay for half of it. This isn't a difficult concept.
Quote:
Because even if the new health insurance law works at providing affordable health insurance to millions of Americans something that many conservatives insisted wouldn't occur, they'll quickly pivot from that failed position without shame or irony to being upset that the program is working and is providing affordable health insurance to the people in the exchanges.
No, they won't. That's just you impugning conservatives with evil motives as usual.
Quote:
They'll be upset at the subsidies going to those people, who are stealing their money.
See, there you go. Subsidies. Not affordable healthcare. Affordable healthcare is cheap healthcare. It isn't expensive healthcare that you're paying for with other peoples' money. Are you capable of grasping that distinction?

Old 09-28-2013, 12:30 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,440,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
Does no one else think a sitting President sniveling about a news organization like they're the Boogey Man is just a little unseemly? The lamestream media's been stroking their messiah so long he can't take critical analysis like a grown up.
He has not grown up, nor is Obama on the mature level? A grown up does not play games, does not blame others for his own screw ups and his own incompetence. A grown mature person, accepts his fate and responsibility, no matter the consequences, he takes it like a Man, not a damn mouse.

And a mature individual, does not play attack the opposer, blame game, use scare tactics, and bully my opponets.

Obama's tactics, are scum, the same way he is.

The media patsys are a bunch of fudgin losers, and puss--!

Old 09-28-2013, 01:32 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,997,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
You don't get it do you? You seem to assume that just because someone is living paycheck to paycheck that they automatically will receive a subsidy. This is WHOLLY and COMPLETELY wrong. Living paycheck to paycheck does not necessarily mean POVERTY or even POOR.

An individual making $47K in the Washington DC metro DOES NOT qualify for a subsidy, yet that person is expected to pay $328 for a medium level policy beyond rent....beyond food...beyond student loans.....etc? Likewise, a family of four in the DC area making a household income of $95K would NOT qualify for a subsidy. Do you realize that these incomes are indicative of people who are NOT well off....who are perhaps barely making it in the DC area? And that's just one example.

I will not explain this you again. Educate yourself, or remain ignorant.
Absolutely correct. I don't know the senators from high cost states did not adjust the subsidies for those states. It's extremely unfair

Old 09-28-2013, 02:44 AM

27,137 posts, read 15,310,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
Does no one else think a sitting President sniveling about a news organization like they're the Boogey Man is just a little unseemly? The lamestream media's been stroking their messiah so long he can't take critical analysis like a grown up.

Well when your message is propaganda based as Obama's always is...........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies