Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2013, 06:55 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadigmizedFactions View Post
I never said ethnic reasons had anything to do with her name change. I'm aware that she eventually adopted the surname of her stepfather. But it also had to do partially according to some sources, that her biological father left the family when she was young, and perhaps resentment.

And just because Rosich may not be a Spanish name, even though "Rosich" could be Spanish, it does not mean that she does not have Spanish ancestry. Many people don't realize that names like Ararat, Gil, Garay, and Godoy are all Spanish names or common in Spanish speaking places. Spanish names or nomenclature is quite diverse.

In some Spanish colonies, it was common in some cases for Spaniards to change their surnames depending on how or where or when they migrated to the colonies and the circumstances.

Rosich I'm guessing maybe either Eastern European, if its not a Western European name at all.
Names such as Gil, Garay and Godoy are regional Spanish, most likely Basque. Never heard the name Ararat in a Spanish context (but I have heard it in Armenian). I believe Vanna's dad may have had Spanish ancestry, but his paternal ancestry was not Spanish.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:17 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,908,581 times
Quote:
Brazilians and Haitians are NOT included in the USA Census definitions for Hispanics and Latinos. Hispanics and Latinos are designated soley for Spamish speaking nations and cultures in the USA.
But, geographically, Brazilians ARE Latin Americans!

Old 10-07-2013, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Well I was simply saying that those terms can equally be applied to people of all races just like in the manner that Hispanic/Latino is used.

Black Americans are most definitely Anglos. Traditionally Black Americans of traditional colonial USA descent are English speaking and Protestant etc. They most definitely are Anglos. How would they not be Anglos?

I think you are falling into the traps and semantics of the terms in some aspects.
Everybody falls into the semantics of it all....it is used for nothing more than a political foothold. The ruling class is manipulating humans simply off the fact that we do not like to be classified. We are egoists.

Old 10-07-2013, 07:40 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Are you asking for the context of my statement? I was speaking about the mother. The mother was the legally consenting adult submitting her child into a pageant.

Is it logical to think a 7-year-old twisted her mothers arm to enter the pageant? Or is it a more reasonable suggestion that the mother coerced an unwitting child into the pageant?

Not very hard to wrap your head around. I clarified my statement once an it zinged off of you. Maybe this time it will snap into place.

Or...maybe you will continue to make arguments..not with my meaning of my.words but your meaning of my words. Lol
We already know how you feel about "black" people. Why run away from your vitriolic comment now when you have a whole post history filled with similar statements?

Based on your own comments about this Afro-Latina in this thread, it isn't a stretch to understand what you really meant by your comment. A small sampling from this thread alone....

Quote:
Comp must have been pretty weak....where I come from...she wouldn't have had a snowballs chance in hell.
Quote:
My honest opinion...

I think they just didn't want to lose to some grimy black American trying to pull a fast one.

That's just me...

I believe if that girl was up there dancing bachata, singing merengue and showing and proving...these mothers would have had no issues. I could be totally wrong.

I'd also like to take it back to the J Lo and Longoria examples....two polar opposites , so it seems, when it comes to the perceived significance of their respective cultures. One marginalized the native tongue while the other went to great lengths to verse herself in it and embraced it.

Quote:
They do not try to "deny their blackness" they simply don't want to be conflated witb "black American culture"....and, honestly, who could blame them?

Last edited by calipoppy; 10-07-2013 at 07:49 PM..

Old 10-07-2013, 10:46 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I do not agree. While Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, Peruvians, Colombians, etc. are Hispanic/Latino, Black Americans are not Anglos. And unless you want to refer to recent immigrants to Germany, there are no nonwhite Teutonics.

In the case of British or such, I can see a case being made for people such as West Indians and other former colonial subjects of the British Empire being considered British.
There is a difference between nations and tribal groups. "Anglo" refers to an ethnic group that existed in various parts of Europe especially England but they weren't the only tribe, A Mexican is a citizen of the country named Mexico but a Mexican can be of any ethnicity. A black Mexican or a white Mexican is every bit a Mexican as the more stereotype Frito-Bandito type. You're right, a black American is not descended from the anglo tribe, their tribal or ethnic roots are of other groups, same as white Americans that are not descended from anglos or anglo-saxon groups. Polish for example are not anglos.

British would be like Spanish -- anyone from the former empires could be labeled those terms, just like hispanics used to be called Spanish people. Americans are former colonial subjects of the Britsh Empire but woudn't normally be called British any more than people of the West Indies.

Old 10-08-2013, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Technically, should Puerto Rico even be considered Hispanic and Latino since it's a USA commonwealth?
Puerto Ricans hold a double standard in that situation. They want their recognition as an independent Latino state but want to keep a those good benefits that come along with commonwealth status...

Some want to be granted statehood but they are the minority, imo.

Old 10-08-2013, 12:48 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
But black people did help form British cultures since ancient times. Many black people were brought to Europe or travelled to Europe since ancient times. Also culturally speaking ALL U.S. Americans are Anglos, Brittanic, and Germanic by logic if the term Hispanic and Latino are applied to people in Spanish speaking countries and places.

Technically, should Puerto Rico even be considered Hispanic and Latino since it's a USA commonwealth?

What about Phillipines. Phillipines was taken from Spain through the same war with the USA just like Cuba, yet some are hesitant to claim Fillipinos as Hispanic. Same with Guam and Chamarros and other countries.

Hell, Beyonce could claim to be a Latina from her mother who is Louisiana Creole.
Well I think the term "hispanic" is kind of dumb anyhow.

If someone can speak English, has allegiance to the USA, feels culturally American, then why have some label like that?

People with ancestors from other countries like Ireland, or Poland, or Germany can be simply "American", and don't have to cling to old country ways and language or label themselves as though they do.

Old 10-08-2013, 12:54 AM

The issue is that it's taboo now to be an "American"...nobody wants to be associated with the culture. Yet they do not realize that everyday they are just cultivating it more and more. It's really bizarre.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:31 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
There is a difference between nations and tribal groups. "Anglo" refers to an ethnic group that existed in various parts of Europe especially England but they weren't the only tribe, A Mexican is a citizen of the country named Mexico but a Mexican can be of any ethnicity. A black Mexican or a white Mexican is every bit a Mexican as the more stereotype Frito-Bandito type. You're right, a black American is not descended from the anglo tribe, their tribal or ethnic roots are of other groups, same as white Americans that are not descended from anglos or anglo-saxon groups. Polish for example are not anglos.

British would be like Spanish -- anyone from the former empires could be labeled those terms, just like hispanics used to be called Spanish people. Americans are former colonial subjects of the Britsh Empire but woudn't normally be called British any more than people of the West Indies.
"Anglo" here in Arizona means ANY non "Hispanic" white person; even ones of German, Italian and so on family. Too; SOME anglos have Hispanic names but DON'T ID themselves as "Hispanic".

Old 10-08-2013, 07:33 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
Quote:
The issue is that it's taboo now to be an "American"...nobody wants to be associated with the culture. Yet they do not realize that everyday they are just cultivating it more and more. It's really bizarre.
I'm def Ok with be an American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies