Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2013, 08:07 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,520,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
As well as his light contacts and the chemicals in his hair. The ironic thing is that Sosa's wife said she was initially attracted to him because he was big and dark.
His wife saw the beauty in his "blackness" that sadly he could not.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:10 PM

138 posts, read 328,185 times
Quote:
It is as significant as any other lineage found in Latin America. For my family, for one example, it is quite significant.
Would you happen to be a Latino of Caribbean descant?

Old 10-16-2013, 08:28 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,518,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
"African roots" means nothing....it means absolutely nothing.
it means that black americans and afro latinos came from the same place and originate from the same people. I agree though, they are ABSOLUTELY not black americans. we have a culture/history of our own too that they were not a part of. but being black and being black American are not the same thing. black is being predominantly of west African descent.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:51 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,634,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Azteca View Post
Would you happen to be a Latino of Caribbean descant?
My mother is, yes.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:11 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,908,227 times
Quote:
Last I heard, it wasn't black people who made that rule.
My point! It wasn't "tolerant" white folks either...

Old 10-16-2013, 09:33 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,894,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Which is the main reason that I found it so very ironic that these same individuals who fight for the rights of the "undocumented" have the audacity to DEMAND a child pageant winner to prove her lineage with "documents". Can we not see the hypocrisy it this?
Agreed and HOW!

Old 10-16-2013, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Azteca View Post
I can see the connection you're trying to make, and I suppose it is hypocritical in that sense.
Though I can't say the plight of undocumented immigrants is anything relate-able to a beauty pageant scandal.
Illegal aliens of Hispanic or NOT Hispanic background are entitled to 3 hots and a cot before being deported from ANY country. Even Mexico doesn't play nice with illegal aliens from Guatemala. Sheesh!

Old 10-16-2013, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
My point! It wasn't "tolerant" white folks either...
Actually it was white folks who created the "One Drop Rule"...and tolerance did not factor into the equation. It was created (in practice) during slavery in the US to make certain that ALL of the children that 'massa' fathered would have the status of the (slave) mother and would therefore be his "property" no matter how white the children looked. It continued to be perpetuated (in law) in the early 1900s by, again, whites who were seeking to maintain their 'purity'.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Actually it was white folks who created the "One Drop Rule"...and tolerance did not factor into the equation. It was created (in practice) during slavery in the US to make certain that ALL of the children that 'massa' fathered would have the status of the (slave) mother and would therefore be his "property" no matter how white the children looked. It continued to be perpetuated (in law) in the early 1900s by, again, whites who were seeking to maintain their 'purity'.
Well; the "1 drop rule" in 2013 would make ALL of us "African" American! More like 100 percent, not a drop. LOL

Old 10-18-2013, 06:39 AM

A very kind open letter to the little Afro Latina pageant winner Jakiyah McKoy by Afro Latina journalist Icess Fernandez Rojas...

An Open Letter to Jakiyah McKoy and the Little Black Latinas | Icess Fernandez Rojas

So, let me tell you something you don't know, something that is going to be hard to understand for someone so young. My love, this will happen to you over and over again in different ways and sometimes by the people who claim to be Latino/a themselves.

I know. We are all Latinos and come from places that speak Spanish, eat delicious food, and have a zest for living that few other cultures have. I understand that perhaps one of your other friends is also Latina. She may have lighter skin and doesn't have to straighten her hair with chemicals. You both share the same culture, but in this world, she will always be seen as beautiful and you will be seen as exotic. Some will call you ugly.

And some of this will come from the people you love the most, your own Latino community. And it will hurt. This is an issue that few people talk about much less try to correct. Look at the publications and television networks that represent us. You are hardly there and if you are, you are never the lead or front and center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.