Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 09:08 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,780,083 times

Advertisements

FM signals drop off after driving out of most cities and towns, and the AM signals will travel for a while with you as you drive away from the source.

What you hear on the radio broadcasts says alot about about the community that they serve and their listeners. There are some towns that I would worry about who lives there when driving through the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Just spent 3 days driving and found my radio to be virtually useless as 90% of its content were bash Obama and Obamacare talk shows, FM wasnt much better as many talk shows have supplanted music and what little music there was was Christian or country. whatever happened to Rock?
^^^

The political right talk dominates the airways, 9 out of 10 stations.

Back on topic. What the OP is saying might be probably very accurate, in that 90% of the talk radio stations are “network” “syndicated” stations and are conservative rightwing, thus leaving only 10% liberal leftwing. That being the case and assuming that both right and left are providing their propaganda and hate speech, the typical listener (no matter where he is) has access to those stations. Seems the problem might be that 9 out of 10 stations cover most of the market for talk radio in any one area of the country.

My experience is the same as the OP, while driving in remote isolated areas across the country you can’t even pickup that 1 out of 10 station to listen to. You’re lucky to find a radio signal in large metropolitan areas of the country that would be left leaning instead of right. The total market share of stations broadcasting is rightwing radio which has been pointed out before in comments. It seems there isn’t any balance of news and talk for the most part; listen to this or nothing unless the listener has special tools to allow for the limited access to “other” desirable signals.

Old 10-03-2013, 12:38 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,087,733 times
every now and then i have access to sat radio. haven't tried it yet. i must be too old school and rely on known AM and FM stations. was listening to radio roy the other night. interesting.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:09 PM

20,256 posts, read 36,954,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
^^^

The political right talk dominates the airways, 9 out of 10 stations.

Back on topic. What the OP is saying might be probably very accurate, in that 90% of the talk radio stations are “network” “syndicated” stations and are conservative rightwing, thus leaving only 10% liberal leftwing. That being the case and assuming that both right and left are providing their propaganda and hate speech, the typical listener (no matter where he is) has access to those stations. Seems the problem might be that 9 out of 10 stations cover most of the market for talk radio in any one area of the country.

My experience is the same as the OP, while driving in remote isolated areas across the country you can’t even pickup that 1 out of 10 station to listen to. You’re lucky to find a radio signal in large metropolitan areas of the country that would be left leaning instead of right. The total market share of stations broadcasting is rightwing radio which has been pointed out before in comments. It seems there isn’t any balance of news and talk for the most part; listen to this or nothing unless the listener has special tools to allow for the limited access to “other” desirable signals.
As I said before, the local private sector radio stations air the radio shows that are listened the most by the locals. That's how they can be in business. It would make no sense for a business to offer a product people don't want, since these would only switch to other stations. The local business buy the most radio adds from the stations that the locals listen the most. On the same token, most of those syndicated shows are owned by left-leaning conglomerates, as are most of the US TV and newspapers.

Old 10-05-2013, 06:32 AM

37,751 posts, read 40,828,546 times
I love Talk Radio in the car and like that on a long road trip. When I'm not on the road I sometimes listen to it on my computer. In that case, I listen to the station in the state where I used to live. I'm retired so no work conflict.

Otherwise, on a long road trip, I burn some CDs from my ITunes playlists before I leave.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:59 AM

I’ve found an Tunein Radio app for the lpad that makes it very easy to find radio content that’s worth listening to from stations all over the country. You can select live broadcasts or pick some of the past days of the stations shows to listen to. The Tunein Radio app works well and I can “avoid” listening to those not so great stations on the radio by simply using the app I can get a large selection of better broadcasts. I found that I can also us Tunein Radio.com on the desktop pc and listen while at home on that as well.

With wifi so available the Ipad works well on trips but not so hot when driving on the highway. At least when I get to a place to stay the night I don’t have to listen to their limited local radio broadcasts anymore.

Old 10-05-2013, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I love Talk Radio in the car and like that on a long road trip. When I'm not on the road I sometimes listen to it on my computer. In that case, I listen to the station in the state where I used to live. I'm retired so no work conflict.

Otherwise, on a long road trip, I burn some CDs from my ITunes playlists before I leave.
That's what I do, too. Also, I replace the car's head unit with one that's iPod ready and with a USB port. This way I can listen to my music for hours and hours on long trips.

Old 10-05-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
I’ve found an Tunein Radio app for the lpad that makes it very easy to find radio content that’s worth listening to from stations all over the country. You can select live broadcasts or pick some of the past days of the stations shows to listen to. The Tunein Radio app works well and I can “avoid” listening to those not so great stations on the radio by simply using the app I can get a large selection of better broadcasts. I found that I can also us Tunein Radio.com on the desktop pc and listen while at home on that as well.

With wifi so available the Ipad works well on trips but not so hot when driving on the highway. At least when I get to a place to stay the night I don’t have to listen to their limited local radio broadcasts anymore.

That's an excellent idea. I believe the app is available for most smartphones, too. So if your car has head unit that you can connect the phone to, you can use the phone to keep you connected to the Internet.

Old 10-12-2013, 01:37 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,087,733 times
i actually listen to am radio and talk shows are not the only thing you'll hear. i listened to a single local am station all last night during my shift for almost 11 hours and there were two 1 hour talk show programs. lots of other insteresting stuff that would interest anyone.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f.2 View Post
i actually listen to am radio and talk shows are not the only thing you'll hear. i listened to a single local am station all last night during my shift for almost 11 hours and there were two 1 hour talk show programs. lots of other insteresting stuff that would interest anyone.
Agree with you. All radio stations have a series of programs that are of interest to a lot of different people. In the same radio stations where I listen to Rush (for example), I also listen to the old Art Bell shows, Coast To Coast, Kim Comando (computer and technology show), cooking shows, shows for learning to choose wines , firearms ownership and the like, scientific shows (Michio Kaku), Handel On The Law, and so on.

I just choose the show I want to listen to, and ignore the rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies