Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 10:36 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,075,155 times

Advertisements

Just spent 3 days driving and found my radio to be virtually useless as 90% of its content were bash Obama and Obamacare talk shows, FM wasnt much better as many talk shows have supplanted music and what little music there was was Christian or country. whatever happened to Rock?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 01:13 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,990,749 times
There's a long thread discussing AM content at the link below. The reason it got so political has to do with the repeal of the Fairness Doctrine.

AM radio stations across the nation,,,, what happened?

There's plenty of rock on FM in my big city. It's just not as popular with people under 35 as it used to be, so I expect it will eventually disappear from the radio in cities, too.

Old 09-28-2013, 09:03 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,091,563 times
I have only a few AM stations I regularly listen to. One is an oldies music format, and not a run of the mill oldies station imho. A format that I can listen to (listening to it right now aamof). The other AM stations are talk and espn. As I get further away from the city, I can only get the talk station and espn, then espn fades out. There are a few FM stations on my speed station list; mostly music, but I do tune in to npr for select programs, top of the hour news most of the time. AM stations are good for road condition / accident slow down updates, and the previously mentioned top fo the hour news. I do think it is important to know your stations in your area though. And to have a good radio.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:58 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,786,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Just spent 3 days driving and found my radio to be virtually useless as 90% of its content were bash Obama and Obamacare talk shows, FM wasnt much better as many talk shows have supplanted music and what little music there was was Christian or country. whatever happened to Rock?
That happens on all of my road trip, no AM station that’s worth listening to. Everything is harsh hate talk radio shows on AM and lots of Christian or country music for the remaining stations.

I enjoy listening to talk radio if the “content” is of any value or worth, but the constant bashing of an issue or topic just isn’t worth the multiples of hours they spend broadcasting the same “smell”.

I usually turn the radio off after spending a reasonable time looking for something. XM radio is a good choice but I’m willing to pay the monthly fee for a few weeks of drive time on trips.

Old 09-30-2013, 12:57 AM

XM satellite radio is the way to go if you are traveling as you can hear what you want to hear.

Old 09-30-2013, 06:23 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,691,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
XM satellite radio is the way to go if you are traveling as you can hear what you want to hear.
Agreed. But you can also get the hate talk here if you really miss it. The nice thing about sat. radio is you can drive all over the country and never lose the signal. There have been a few spots in the mountains where the signal drops out.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:05 PM

20,259 posts, read 36,969,520 times
Not trying to argue with anybody here, but we all have to take into consideration the following:

Private-sector radio stations make their money from their listeners, regardless of what the radio talk hosts speak of, be it love, hate, politics, religion, witchcraft, and so on. As such these stations will air the that their listenership want to listen to.

That said, perhaps in CONUS the radio stations' programs are crap, and this is not the case in Alaska. For example, I can listen to religion, science talk, politics, hunting, reloading, home remodeling, gardening, computers and electronics, crazy stuff on Coast To Coast, local politics and road reports, and so on...all on the local private radio stations. On top of that I can listen to NPR if I want (never do, but it's there).

Old 10-01-2013, 03:10 AM

I'm sure if you live in an area you are familiar enough with your local radio stations to know which one suits your needs, its a bit different if you are traveling and your scan feature is all you have on your radio to see whats on offer for any given area ,sometimes you get lucky and find what you want but on AM radio its very temporary,when the signal fades you are back to scanning,on my recent experience theres a heck lot of rightwing radio stations.

Old 10-01-2013, 03:20 AM

45,032 posts, read 60,050,709 times
Who has only an AM radio in their car nowadays?

Old 10-01-2013, 04:40 AM

Its usually am/fm and if you want to listen to talk radio its mostly an am thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies