Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Trust Rouhani?
Yes 3 14.29%
No 14 66.67%
Don't know 4 19.05%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 11:34 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,461,212 times

Advertisements

On the one hand, he's the nominal leader of a nation where conservative ayatollahs really call the shots, and which has a history of deception in its dealings with the world on nuclear issues. Is this "charm offensive" really just a Trojan horse aimed at soothing a gullible West while Iran continues to build a nuclear weapon?

Or is he really a sincere reformer who wants to normalize relations with the US and lift the burden of sanctions under which his people have been suffering?

Incidentally, it seems that although many in Iran are welcoming his detente with the US, not everyone is.

BBC News - Iran nuclear: Rivals rally as Rouhani returns from UN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 11:55 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
first off the ayatollahs are NOT conservatives, they are totalitarianists. second, you cannot trust ANY government, even our own.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
first off the ayatollahs are NOT conservatives, they are totalitarianists.
Those two categories are not mutually exclusive.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:15 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,678,035 times
LOL at this point I am more worried about whether I can trust my own government. I can't. I have never questioned the actions of this government as much as I do until now. We cannot be trusted. It is sad. But it is true. We shoved our noses in Iran's business in 1953 all in the name of greed. This whole thing with Iran is all of our fault. Not theirs.

We can trust no one.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Those two categories are not mutually exclusive.
neither is liberalism and totalitarianism.

Old 09-28-2013, 01:17 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Well, according to the dictates of the Quran/Koran; trust might be dangerous as it suggests it is completely acceptable and laudable for Muslims to lie and falsely claim friendship to gain trust, put your enemy off his guard and then either demand his conversion and subjugation to Islam or obliterate him.

Given those teachings what do you think would be prudent?

Old 09-28-2013, 01:21 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
.... while Iran continues to build a nuclear weapon?
What kind of nuclear weapon?

Quote:
Or is he really a sincere reformer who wants to normalize relations with the US and lift the burden of sanctions under which his people have been suffering?
Normalize?

Well, uh, normally in US-Iran relations, the US engineered coups to install puppet-dictators, spent lots of tax-payer money organizing, training, arming, equipping and advising the SAVAK (the secret police) who together with the US and the puppet-dictator, deprived Iranians of rights that you cherish, such as free speech, assembly, press, protection from warrant-less searches and seizures, trials by impartial judges and juries, many other legal protections, and such.

Aside from that, the US stole oil and oil profits from Iran, plus sold Iran $Billions in military equipment that Iran did not need, like destroyers, and F-4 Phantom IIs, and F-5E Tiger IIs, and F-14 Tomcats, and HAWK air defense missile systems, not to mention a variety of personal and crew-served weapons, plus indirect and direct artillery, and vehicles.

Um, I'm thinking the majority of Iranians have no desire for "normalization."

On a more positive note, the US sank all of the destroyers it sold to Iran in 1987 near the end of the Iraq-Iran War instigated by the US, in an attempt to prevent Iran from rolling over Iraqi units.

Get it?

Those destroyers have the SPS-29C air search radar (theoretical range ~135 miles) and they can detect Iraqi aircraft and then shoot them down with the RIM-66s.

Plus, the destroyers can fire the 127mm guns as artillery.

The destroyers cruise along the coast of the Persian Gulf in the Basra/Delta Region to screen, while Iranian army units advance along the coast.

Right?

You all need to have more interesting lives.

Remember this....

10-09-2011, 10:41 PM

[quote=Mircea;21220977]I had a chance to go to Iraq as a military advisor in 1984 during the Iraq-Iran War, but went to Egypt to train troops instead. In hindsight, I probably should have gone to Iraq.

Check it out....

How the U.S. helped Saddam Hussein use chemical weapons against Iran - The Week
How the U.S. helped Saddam Hussein use chemical weapons against Iran

Washington is apparently ready to punish Syria for using poison gas, but a generation ago the calculus was different

By Harold Maass | August 26, 2013
The U.S.'s role in the Iraq-Iran war was greater than previously believed.

Near the end of Iraq's war with Iran 25 years ago, the U.S., using satellite imagery, warned Iraq that Iranian troops were moving to exploit a hole in its defenses, according to Foreign Policy, citing recently declassified Central Intelligence Agency documents and interviews with former intelligence officials. U.S. officials shared the information with Iraq even though they knew that Saddam Hussein's military was likely to respond by attacking with the lethal nerve agent sarin and other chemical weapons — and he did, killing thousands.

I think maybe you might want to define "normalize."

And, why no, Iran still doesn't have a nuclear weapons program.

Trusting...

Mircea

Old 09-28-2013, 01:28 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,220,557 times
Any Iranian cleric/politician is not to be trusted.

Old 09-28-2013, 02:27 PM

Re: "normalization," I think that agreeing to have embassies in each other's countries would be sufficient.

Old 09-28-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Any Iranian cleric, or any politician around the world is not to be trusted.
fixed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies