Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 09:17 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,017,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Democrats have turned into one of the most ignorant segments of society that I could imagine.. Almost like having a discussion with little children..

budget - definition of budget by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

a. An itemized summary of estimated or intended expenditures for a given period along with proposals for financing them

Do you know the difference between an estimate, and an obligation?
Certain posters "cough cough" have turned into some of the most ignorant members of society that I could imagine.. Almost like having a discussion with little children..

Do you know what the multiplier effect is?

Old 09-29-2013, 09:19 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Certain posters "cough cough" have turned into some of the most ignorant members of society that I could imagine.. Almost like having a discussion with little children..

Do you know what the multiplier effect is?
So rather than admit that budgets arent obligations and liabilities, your proclimation is that my last name is "Dictionary" and I'm able to determine definitions of words all by myself..

Could you get any dumber.. well yes, you could proclaim once again that budgets are obligations, and continue to be wrong.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:22 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,017,180 times
Quote:
So rather than admit that budgets arent obligations and liabilities, your proclimation is that my last name is "Dictionary" and I'm able to determine definitions of words all by myself..

Could you get any dumber.. well yes, you could proclaim once again that budgets are obligations, and continue to be wrong.
What drug are you on today...

Old 09-29-2013, 09:22 AM

11,780 posts, read 5,792,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
This is a false/misleading statement. We don't have to raise the debt ceiling and can still pay our commitments. It will mean cuts in other areas but holding the line does not mean not paying our bills. This is a common misconception promoted by those who have an agenda.

Technically not accurate. Appropriations are for both actual and estimated expenses - more estimated based on budgeted forecasts.

Agree wholeheartedly. When my husband and I both worked - we had a budget of $4000 a month to cover the bills. When I was laid off I had to rebudget everything to fit the income. All the bills were paid, the house wasn't repossessed, our utilities weren't shut off but we may have paid a lower amt on the home equity and we didn't have as much disposable cash.

If they'd all stop acting like children - it could be done. You can't keep borrowing more and more money and not be able to pay it back without consequences - the American people learned that lesson with the housing collapse.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:23 AM

624 posts, read 939,580 times
Quote:
WRONG.. There is no committments until expenses are actually incurred.

Federal employees that might be laid off due to a shut down, are not entitled to be paid, UNTIL THEY ACTUALLY WORK...

Simply budgeting for their salaries is not a committment..

Your talking points, arent based upon reality, just like most Democratic ones nowadays.
If salary budgets aren't a commitment (and please note that's only one of many commitments our government makes with the budget), then nobody should ever sign a lease/mortgage or use a credit card, and our local grocery store shouldn't stock it's shelves, because there is no guarantee anybody will see their next paycheck.

Of course budgeted monies are a commitment. Creditors depend on the promise of payment to continue operation and dealings with other entities. All business, even down to consumer level, is based a good faith expectation of delivery on both sides.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
What drug are you on today...
Cite me ONE dictionary which backs up your claim that budgets are obligations.. JUST ONE...

I'll wait..

Old 09-29-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slithytoves View Post
If salary budgets aren't a commitment (and please note that's only one of many commitments our government makes with the budget), then nobody should ever sign a lease/mortgage or use a credit card, and our local grocery store shouldn't stock it's shelves, because there is no guarantee anybody will see their next paycheck.

Of course budgeted monies are a commitment. Our creditors depend on the promise of payment to continue operation and dealings with other entities. All business, even down to consumer level, is based a good faith expectation of delivery on both sides.
budgets are NOT GUARANTEES.. There is no guarantee government will receive the amount of money they budget for.

if you budget $50K a year income, and then lose your job, what do you do, sue the company you worked for because they didnt meet their "committment" to you?

Old 09-29-2013, 09:31 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:

Of course budgeted monies are a commitment. Creditors depend on the promise of payment to continue operation and dealings with other entities. All business, even down to consumer level, is based a good faith expectation of delivery on both sides.
To argue that the entire budget is credit due to others is nothing but an attempt to derail responsible spending. Just because defense got X amount this year does not mean they have to get that much forever.

Just because there was an X amount of increase last year does not mean it has to increase even more next year. When one owes another country X amount of money the way you address that is not to borrow even more to pay that back.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:31 AM

17,441 posts, read 9,266,927 times
Quote:
I will gladly concede, I hate that our government spends in such a way that the system works like this at all. But it is what it is...sorry for the cliche. It's a whole separate issue from the threat of a shutdown this OP is addressing.
The OP is addressing the Debt Ceiling and not the Fiscal year budget - the Debt Ceiling has nothing to do with a "shutdown". It's about borrowing authority for the Treasury. The Treasury has reached it's limit in borrowing authority.

It's worthwhile to note that the Tax receipts for 2013 are the highest in history - due to the hike in Taxes and the success of the Sequester.
Quote:
Feds’ 2013 tax haul will be biggest ever - The Hill
Both the CBO and the White House estimate the government will collect around $2.7 trillion in 2013, up from around $2.45 trillion last year.
If the estimates prove true, revenues would top the previous nominal high set in 2007, the last full year before the financial crisis began. Revenue as a percentage of gross domestic product (GDP) would rise from 15.8 percent in 2012 to roughly 19 percent in 2015.
Even if the Congress did not raise the Debt Ceiling (which will NOT happen) the US Government would not "default" on their bond obligations because of the huge amount of money they collect in Taxes each and every day. The Congress WILL raise the Borrowing Authority of the Treasury (Debt Ceiling), but it has nothing to do with the Armageddon rhetoric of "default". It's all about how much they can borrow to increase the Debt ..... that's exactly why it's called a Debt Ceiling. They call it a Credit Limit on your Credit Card account. Doesn't mean you don't have money or don't have income, it just means you can't borrow any more money on your Credit Card.

Once again ...... the Fiscal year Budget for 2014 is totally different from the Debt Ceiling.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:34 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,443,557 times
Quote:
Did the 18 times under Reagan, even come close to any ONE time under Obama?

The one based upon reality..

Ramifications of what? Shutting down the government? What long term ramifications do we currently see from the nearly TWO DOZEN times government has shut down.. Lets start with the recent one under Clinton..

What devistating effects do we currently have due to that shut down
Guess what, Obama still has to pay for Bush's war, and contend with the decrease in revenue due to Bush's economic collapse.

How about looking at actual spending numbers?

Government Spending: Growth and Trend Charts of US Federal Spending by Year

Note that from 2008 to 2009 (still Bush's budget) total spending went from 3.17 trillion to 3.7 trillion. Then for 2010 it dropped to 3.59 trillion. For 2011 it went up slightly to 3.67 trillion and then for 2012 back down to 3.56 trillion.

Here's a nice graph from Repeat After Me: Always Adjust for Inflation. Always Adjust for Inflation. | Mother Jones

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies