Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 01:55 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,059,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackie94 View Post
I am not trying to belittle your service either, and i apologize if mine seemed like an attack on you. but when some people (not refering to you) who dont have a clue to the reality of this war argue incessently it gets frustrating, i get wrapped up as well. I have no problem debating people who have a little more knowledge and are willing to accept that somebody might know more then them on points (although it might not seem like it i am willing to hear people out and maybe learn something).

there is splenty of room for debate on this, but simple facts like getting hit with Sarin filled arty shells arent really debatable. i have issues with it as well, but mine are different

with the vietnam vets i see them as jaded, they got screwed by our own people and Govt. I have alot more respect for what they went through then what i did, but the last thing i want to see is the same thing happen to them....not allowed to fight and finish this war.

the part that gets me going on this is the fact that the "terrorist" are hoping we will do exactly like we did in vietnam...have the public discourse which will eventually lead ot us pulling out...

the pull-out will happen when Iraq will run out oil
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 01:56 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar31 View Post
What about Afghanistan?

Old 11-18-2007, 01:57 PM

119 posts, read 202,957 times
I agree with you Smackie thats exactly what the terrorists want us to do. pull out and therefore lose. This would be so detrimental to our troops and the future of this country. The reasons for going to war with Iraq can be debated until we are all blue in the face but it doesnt change the fact that now we are there we need to finish this. They need our support now, not a constant argument on whether we should have gone in the first place. It's aggravating to me that people cant see past their own personal issues with this war and Bush.

Old 11-18-2007, 01:57 PM

294 posts, read 437,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
So we went to war primarily because of some alleged reports that Iraq provided "medical and travel assistance" to Al qaeda?

there is alot more to it then that, but you dont seem to be following

That is worth the trillion dollars spent and thousands of lives lost, not to mention what it has cost the US status in global leadership?

Global leadership, that is a sham....everybodies true colors came out do due this and i am not talking baout the US

I hope they got a full meal and a movie, not just peanuts. That is nuts.

If it is terrorism you are concerned about, you do understand that Afghanistan and Iraq are now recruiting grounds and centers for international terrorism, and that our soldiers are a recruiting poster for the terrorists, right?

so that has changed from the last ten years how? now they are consolidaetd?...that isnt a bad thing

You have read the reports that Al Qaeda is now stronger than it was pre-9/11, and they are based all over the globe in decentralized cells from Indonesia to Europe to Africa. Radical jihadist terrorist cells cannot be fought conventionally with armies. That is the lesson we should all have learned by now. We are not fightring governments, we are fighting a radical philospohy. Don't believe me, read General Petreaus remarks about how to win in guerilla warfare.

lol..he was quoting alot from the small wars manual, i have it in my library and although written back in early 1900 during the banana wars...it still is the best book about fighting insurgencies...i know it well

p.s. it has taken the place of other organizations that have always existed, and they have always operated in cells...if they are stronger now.....maybe...but not as effective

If you are proposing we go after Iran and Syria next, provide more specifics on the military resources you will use, the funding it will take, and what the reaction of Muslims around the world might be. And if you think once that is all done...then we will be Safe.
we would be safer.....military resources....that needs work (thanks bill) and funding...well gonna have to just do it if we are going to do it

Old 11-18-2007, 02:00 PM

Quote:

at this rate it will last forever becasue we are not taking it...

but the war was for oil...blah blah balh blah.

personally i think thta is one of our biggest mistakes....not being for oil...

Old 11-18-2007, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
What about Afghanistan?
that's up to Halliburton and the rest of "family"

Old 11-18-2007, 02:08 PM

Quote:
that's up to Halliburton and the rest of "family"
There are no large oil reserves in Afghanistan. And I'll remind you that Haliburton also had (no-bid) contracts with the last administration. But of course we are supposed to "forget" that, right?

Old 11-18-2007, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackie94 View Post
at this rate it will last forever becasue we are not taking it...

but the war was for oil...blah blah balh blah.

personally i think thta is one of our biggest mistakes....not being for oil...
I know. I am SO tired of hearing that phony claim.
I'm still waiting for when we will "take" Iraq's oil. Democrats have been saying that since 1991 and it still hasn't happened!

Old 11-18-2007, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Thanks for this post.

no need for thanks...its all sincere

With your sentiment, can you say what would be a good win, and a face saving but real victory for the country, the military and the President?
1. having the country be able to stand on its own (even if they are screwed up) without the influence of radical elements other then maybe represented in the govt.

2 the almost complete destruction of radical muslim forces. this is an idealistic view, but at least have a local military and police force that is able to do there job and keep the terrorist on the defensive.

3. the Search for WMD's stopped shortly after the initial invasion, they did exist at one point we know this, i want the world to know what happened to them 100% (syria, still in iraq, etc etc), somehting happened to them...but what?

I dont know if those would be face saving. especially for the president that damage is already done. I personally never thought of a big giant win, but setting that place up enough to where we can move on without it going to hell again is a victory to me....

it would be a Big slap in the face of terrorism....

Old 11-18-2007, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
There are no large oil reserves in Afghanistan. And I'll remind you that Haliburton also had (no-bid) contracts with the last administration. But of course we are supposed to "forget" that, right?
if some people still believe that the earth is flat, there is nothing that can be done about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies