Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 06:31 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,694,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Another day, another ignorant thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
we have a president that is far left of center, he is no conservative just like bush43 was no conservative. as for the rich yes they all want to keep their money, and it doesnt matter which side of the political spectrum they are on, they will ALL do what they need to, to keep their money. its complete rubbish to blame one side or the other for the dying of the middle class when the reality is that BOTH SIDES are killing the middle class. if you want to rail against the rich, thats fine, but intellectual honesty is required, you cant blame one side and not blame the other.
And the middle class doesn't want to keep their money??

Let's not forget it's Obama who said he wants to level the playing field. The numbers of people dependent on government have grown as a result of his efforts. Dependency wins votes. Makes perfect sense for Democrats as we see the proof in the pudding. Talk about the "rich being greedy". What about the lower income/no income being greedy for other peoples' goods and voting for anyone who will give it to them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 07:55 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,853,377 times
The House bills record 2009-2013 ....

124 Religion Bills, 149 Gun Bills, 56 Abortion Bills, 44 Anti-Obamacare Bills, 36 Marriage Bills , 0 JOBS Bills

Old 09-30-2013, 08:09 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
[quote=InformedConsent;31610427]No, the IRS data is EXACTLY what's going on. They've thoroughly analyzed all 135 million tax returquote]

taxs returns dont tell the whole story. as i said you might want to take an accounting 101 class and actually LEARN something. i have training in accounting as well as 25 years experience working in accounting at various levels, i know what i am talking about. you are only looking at the surface of what is reported to the IRS, i know what happens underneath the surface. if you dont want to accept that, or learn something other than what you read in IRS stats, i cant help you learn anything.

Quote:
No, it is you who sounds like just another greedy whiner who doesn't want to make the effort and sacrifices or take the risks involved in getting into the higher income levels.
since you know nothing about me you are making assumptions that are completely wrong. i am not a greedy whiner, i just know what is going on. and while i didnt take the opportunities that present themselves MANY TIMES for me to step up to much higher income levels, i always put 100% effort into every job i did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
And the middle class doesn't want to keep their money??
everyone wants to keep their money, the problem though is that much of the middle class cant keep their money because pretty much everything is dumped on them and they have a tough time making ends meet and still putting money away for retirement.

Quote:
Let's not forget it's Obama who said he wants to level the playing field. The numbers of people dependent on government have grown as a result of his efforts. Dependency wins votes. Makes perfect sense for Democrats as we see the proof in the pudding. Talk about the "rich being greedy". What about the lower income/no income being greedy for other peoples' goods and voting for anyone who will give it to them?
all true. but obama says he wants to level the playing, but what he really wants is equal outcomes, not equal opportunities.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:12 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
The House bills record 2009-2013 ....

124 Religion Bills, 149 Gun Bills, 56 Abortion Bills, 44 Anti-Obamacare Bills, 36 Marriage Bills , 0 JOBS Bills
well i will give oyu credit in that you included the democrat controlled house as well. as for jobs bills, the government doesnt create private sector jobs, they can only create the conditions under which jobs can flourish or not. and so can the administration. and both of them keep saying they want to create jobs for the middle class, and then put regulations in place that prevent that by making it too expensive to run a business.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:41 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Why did Bill Clinton repeal Glass-Steagall?
GS was never repealed. It is still applicable to insured banks and forbids them from underwriting or dealing in securities. Nothing within GS prohibits an insured bank from lending money or trading.

The Gramm-Leach- Bliley ( all Republicans BTW) Act repealed the two provisions which formerly prohibited insured banks from being affiliated with firms—commonly called investment banks—that engaged in underwriting and dealing in securities. This bill received substantial bipartisan support and as such, was veto-proof, assuming Clinton was opposed to it, which it appears, he was not.

Nothing within GS prohibits insured banks from making risky loans.

99% ( an I am being generous, here) of the media has no clue about regulations. That has never stopped them from spreading misinformation in their quest to blame.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Repeat: Why did Clinton repeal Glass-Steagall?

He's a Democrap.
Please refer to post # 55. You have swallowed misinformation from the media.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
Our domestic enemy has accomplished what no foreign enemy could do with all their military hardware destroy our manufacturing industry,dumbdown our citizens and made US fat $ lazy with no morals.
The fall of modern day Babylon will be the New Dark Ages coming to a neighborhood near you very soon....
Last I checked, the U.S. manufacturing industry is far from being destroyed and is the #2 manufacturer in the world.

What happened was that the U.S. had to compete with global manufacturers. Nations who buy from the U.S. refused to pay a premium for made in the USA, so that U.S. people can enjoy a middle class lifestyle. Heck, the U.S. people will not spend a dime more on something made is the USA if they can get it cheaper from elsewhere.

The U.S. could repeal minimum wage, all labor laws, OSHA, EPA and make right to work federal law.
Then, the U.S. could compete on a level playing field with the third world. That the U.S. standard of living would also resemble the third world, is incidental.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Yeah, how's that "War on Poverty" thing working out?
Nearly 25% of U.S. people lived in dire poverty in the 50's despite that we tended to produce most of what we consumed and it was the peak of private unions.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Manufacturing in the USA more often than not turned out products to be proud of. There was never a stigma attached to an item manufactured here. Outsourcing had one goal and one goal only and we all know what that is and was. I believe that organized labor is a very needed necessity or people, individually, lose too much bargaining power and that is a very bad thing with results that ALWAYS favor the very top of the chain. Even if you do not agree with particular parts of union contracts, you cannot demonize the concept of unions without it sounding ridiculous.
The only part of private sector unions that did not stand the test of time is that neither the rest of the world or U.S. people were/are willing to pay a premium for made in the USA to sustain the middle class.

Maytag used to be a premium brand. Washing machines lasted for generations. The problem was people rarely needed to buy a new washer or call in a repair man. Fast forward, the brand was acquired by Whirlpool. Underneath the hood, the parts are not made in the USA. And washers are designed for a 5-7 year useful life. Either manufacturers discontinue parts or price them so that it makes more sense to buy new. It's called planned obsolescence and it what makes the manufacturing world go round.

Whirlpool is the global leader and owns most washer/dryer brands, regardless of legacy naming conventions.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:25 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
No, the IRS data the whole story. as i said you might want to take an accounting 101 class and actually LEARN something.
Not necessary. My spouse owns an accounting firm. I can assure you we know a LOT about tax law, and who pays and who doesn't pay.
Quote:
i have training in accounting as well as 25 years experience working in accounting at various levels, i know what i am talking about.
Clearly, you don't.

The IRS publishes the data analyzing ALL 135 million tax returns filed, tax evaders ARE prosecuted, there is such a thing as the Alternative Minimum Tax which guarantees that those above a certain income level MUST pay a minimum federal income tax rate of 26%. AND the tax breaks, deductions, and tax credits the low-income and middle class get are PHASED OUT at higher income levels. That all leads up to the top 1% paying an effective federal income tax rate that is 4 times higher than the effective tax rate the middle class pays.

Quote:
everyone wants to keep their money, the problem though is that much of the middle class cant keep their money because pretty much everything is dumped on them
WRONG.

This is what actually happens... The poor and lower-income GET other people's money handed to them by the government. The middle class gets to keep far more of their money than the rich. The rich pay an effective federal income tax rate that is about 4 times as much as the middle class's 6% effective federal income tax rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies