Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 06:34 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,072,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Comparing a swimming pool to a gun is not a reasonable comparison, can cars be far behind? Swimming pools are recreational, guns have one purpose.
You must get all your education on firearms from the movies. Guns are multipurpose tools. Guns and the shooting sports are one of the largest recreational activities in America. Guns are for hunting, competition, target shooting, self defense, trap and skeet shooting, and many other things. As the recipient of a college scholarship many years ago for competitive shooting, I can tell you that many an education has been paid for by the the shooting sports. Now I earn money as a competitively sponsored shooter and enjoy shooting more than ever. I never think about using guns for the purpose for which you elude to, and neither do the thousands of my competitive colleagues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 06:40 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,314,832 times
Quote:
Comparing a swimming pool to a gun is not a reasonable comparison, can cars be far behind? Swimming pools are recreational, guns have one purpose.
This gun has one purpose: recreation

.22 LR Rimfire - Smith & Wesson

I've also seen people use swimming pools to rehab injuries doing exercises that are anything but recreational and often painful. Feel free to quit while you're behind.

Old 09-30-2013, 06:52 PM

46,189 posts, read 26,862,005 times
Quote:
You aren't really stating that the NRA took issue with the CDC Studies?

."

NRA, Congress stymied CDC gun research budget - CBS News
Yes I am, and your link provided nothing to say you are correct:

Quote:
In 1996, the NRA successfully lobbied Congress to put this restriction into the CDC's budget: "None of the funds made available ... may be used to advocate or promote gun control."
Where is a link for the quote above? UUUhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh waiting...............

Old 09-30-2013, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Again, do you care about a child's death, or do you care about how the child died? How the child died does not matter, well it does to you, but then you show you have selective outrage....

Old 09-30-2013, 06:56 PM

Here, for the gun hater...

10 children died today....

10 children died yesterday....

Does it matter how they died?

Or does it matter they are now dead, no matter how they died...

Answer honestly....

Old 09-30-2013, 07:51 PM

79,902 posts, read 43,896,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Okie dokie, let's give Iran the ability to own nukes then, if irresponsible ownership of weapons isn't such a big deal. You can always punish them after they go off on a tangent and run a red light.
We have no say in Iran getting nukes. We do not have to give them to them for them to get them.

Speaking of pools, you sure went off the deep end here.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:59 PM

56,874 posts, read 25,813,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Yes I am, and your link provided nothing to say you are correct:

Where is a link for the quote above? UUUhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh waiting...............

I know, it's just a rather large coincidence that the CDC's funding decreased relative to gun issues, wouldn't want them meddling in national safety issues. No pressure from the pro-gun advocates at the NRA and others. Child safety caps on aspirin no problem but guns, forget about it.

Quote:

CDC funding into gun violence research has plummeted 96 percent since 1996,
to just $100,000 of last year's $5.6 billion CDC budget.

Asked if gun violence a legitimate public health issue Bob Barr, a former
Georgia congressman who sits on the board of the NRA, responded, "Absolutely
not."

Barr added: "The issue of firearms violence is handled and ought to be
handled as a law enforcement matter. We don't need government involved in this.
It is all about the big C: control."

Old 09-30-2013, 08:24 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,125,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Of course you can. But only one of the many things that kills children is a weapon whose purpose is to kill.

Next specious argument?
Wrong. Its purpose is to expel a projectile at high speed.

So LSD's, do guns animate themselves?

Old 09-30-2013, 08:41 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,686,938 times
Once again, people using tragedies to push an agenda. The anti-gun crowd really has no shame.

A gun is just a tool, like a knife or a pair of scissors. It is indeed sad that a child is killed in a gun accident, however this could also happen with a pair of scissors, or a box of matches, or going out into the street without looking both ways. The key here is PARENTING, and it's the parents responsibility to watch their kids. If a child is killed in a gun accident, it is the parents fault for not watching them.

For some reason though, the anti-gun loons don't seem to want to put responsibility where it belongs.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:38 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,236,865 times
Quote:
I know, it's just a rather large coincidence that the CDC's funding decreased relative to gun issues, wouldn't want them meddling in national safety issues. No pressure from the pro-gun advocates at the NRA and others. Child safety caps on aspirin no problem but guns, forget about it.
Hello!!!

CDC Center for Disease Control interest in injuries zero, nilch, nada, unless infected...

NIH National Institute of Health interest in injuries significant...

1996 funding for CDC to produce research for injuries caused by firearms was blocked by congress.

NOTHING PREVENTED THE NIH FROM DOING SUCH STUDIES EVER.

So tell me again how the NRA prevented studies into gun violence and health issues? I've already provided you with one example of an NIH funded study from the period the CDC could not fund that research. Maybe instead of saying "The NRA did this" you might want to look at why the NIH did not do this if, as you say, it's so critical.

Just for personal interest, do you complain to your electrician about the state of your roof? Because this is the logical analogy of what you're complaining about, the NRA, even if they did prevent research by the CDC for nefarious reasons, only ensured your electrician would not give a professional opinion on the state of your roof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies