Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 01:45 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
So this morning I was listening to the Dave Ramsey Show, as I often do. His show isn't too political, focusing mainly on financial advice, though he definitely has conservative leanings. He has also been a vocal critic of "Obamacare".

Anyway, a call today that he took seemed pretty ironic. A woman called in, and explained that her adult daughter would soon no longer be eligible for coverage under her parents, due to her age. This young woman happens to be self employed, financially independent, and running a successful business. Her husband works part time while finishing school.

So she can buy her own insurance, right? Nope. She has pre-existing conditions (joint issues), that make her ineligible to buy insurance, at any price.

After much back and forth, Mr. Ramsey, VERY RELUCTANTLY, mentions the exchanges coming under Obamacare. You could tell he really didn't want to, but he finally mentioned them as a possible option for this woman's daughter.

If that call doesn't illustrate the good Obamacare is going to do, I don't know what does. This woman will be able to continue running her successful business, and not have to worry about going bankrupt if she gets sick.
But the Republicans already proposed high risk pools to cover people with pre-existing conditions, without the 2000 pages of other garbage that is in Obamacare. So you really have no point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 01:45 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,660,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Maybe it's the people who can't figure out how to complete a half page form for voter ID
I ask you an honest sincere question and all you got is snark? What up with that?

Old 09-30-2013, 01:52 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,941,561 times
Quote:
Ok, we got a good story out of it. Now lets get back to the real issue. Employees making people part time, people losing jobs. Health care premiums increasing, deductibles increasing.
It would even be better if you applied all those hypotheticals to a real-life example such as yourself. You are complaining of what you think may happen to others...

Keep it real. Keep it how ACA effects you.

To the OP. Pre-existing conditions can no longer be reason for any insurance to not write a policy for someone. Not just exchanges.

Old 09-30-2013, 01:55 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,173,239 times
Quote:
So this morning I was listening to the Dave Ramsey Show, as I often do. His show isn't too political, focusing mainly on financial advice, though he definitely has conservative leanings. He has also been a vocal critic of "Obamacare".

Anyway, a call today that he took seemed pretty ironic. A woman called in, and explained that her adult daughter would soon no longer be eligible for coverage under her parents, due to her age. This young woman happens to be self employed, financially independent, and running a successful business. Her husband works part time while finishing school.

So she can buy her own insurance, right? Nope. She has pre-existing conditions (joint issues), that make her ineligible to buy insurance, at any price.

After much back and forth, Mr. Ramsey, VERY RELUCTANTLY, mentions the exchanges coming under Obamacare. You could tell he really didn't want to, but he finally mentioned them as a possible option for this woman's daughter.

If that call doesn't illustrate the good Obamacare is going to do, I don't know what does. This woman will be able to continue running her successful business, and not have to worry about going bankrupt if she gets sick.

You don't need a 2000+ page bill and trillions of dollars of cost just to pass a law that requires insurance companies to cover certain pre-existing conditions at some price.

Old 09-30-2013, 02:02 PM

78,376 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Really? Then it shouldn't be hard for you to provide some non-biased links about all these huge happenings (not just one or two isolated instances vaguely blaming Obamacare either).

Sally Kohn has a good take on things at Foxnews.com: Five reasons Americans already love ObamaCare
Here is some Huff-po for you....it cites how Starbucks isn't cutting jobs, benefits etc. in CONTRAST to many who are. Not to mention the exemptions for unions etc.

Starbucks Won't Cut Worker Hours, Benefits Ahead Of Obamacare: CEO

There will be winners and losers with Obamacare, this is good news for the young lady you mentioned but others are going to be picking up the tab one way or another.

I'm not against Obamacare but it has some serious issues. I know it's hard to admit it but you DO know why they waited until after the 2012 election to implement? They knew there would be some heartburn and the way the math works, for every grateful person like this young lady you will have many others that have to bear some of her cost or that get health insurance but don't view it as a benefit.

P.S. There are many that won't *get* that someday they may be the one with the pre-existing condition or too young to value insurance.

Last edited by Mathguy; 09-30-2013 at 02:30 PM..

Old 09-30-2013, 02:03 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,870,511 times
Quote:
Despite the GOP's best efforts, it looks like the very Americans that the law was intended to help are starting to get it. A new Gallop poll shows that 65% of uninsured Americans plan on buying insurance through the exchanges once they open.

Two in Three Uninsured Americans Plan to Buy Insurance

This is definitely not good news for Conservatives.

Old 09-30-2013, 02:07 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,941,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Despite the GOP's best efforts, it looks like the very Americans that the law was intended to help are starting to get it. A new Gallop poll shows that 65% of uninsured Americans plan on buying insurance through the exchanges once they open.

Two in Three Uninsured Americans Plan to Buy Insurance

This is definitely not good news for Conservatives.
looks like the only ones refusing ACA are consevatives. Lose that nose to spite that face.

Old 09-30-2013, 02:22 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,939,765 times
Quote:

... Employees making people part time, people losing jobs. Health care premiums increasing, deductibles increasing.
Quote:

Yeah, except none of the real data is showing that. You're just spouting right wing talking points. If you have real data to prove it, then show it.
I can only provide specific evidence that I know of first hand.

I work for one of the top ten employers in the greater Philadelphia area with hundreds and hundreds of employees. No one is losing their job unless they are being fired for just cause (things like tardiness, absenteeism, theft, insubordination, etc.) ... in fact we are hiring! If I recommend someone who is hired I get a monetary bonus.

Old 09-30-2013, 02:48 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,939,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
right. companies are falling over each other to hire people.
small businesses are just going bonkers because Obamacare just reduced their costs.

that all happened.

MaseMan, it is one thing to argue the merits of some political concept. it is another entirely to deny reality.
I personally think millions of jobs were lost over the past quarter century because of a tectonic shift in society, manufacturing, change in demand for goods and services, the global economy and the hiring policies and offshore outsourcing by international corporations. I really do not point the blame finger at either Republicans or Democrats.

Honestly, when I realized at the beginning of the last decade that my highly specialized skills and advanced degree would no longer be in great demand I had no choice but to acquire new skills and take a different career path. For the sake of my own financial survival I understood that I had to reinvent myself.

Old 09-30-2013, 02:57 PM

18,801 posts, read 8,467,936 times
Quote:

Same thing with our family, both daughters. My older daughter who works in Hollywood was to get her own coverage after she was 26. Luckily our own carrier gave her some coverage, including her pre-existing, as no one in CA would take her. My younger now has pre-existing and will be 26 in May.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies