U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2007, 12:52 AM

11,127 posts, read 12,657,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
So, as I cruise through Texas with my gold, I can shoot anyone who seems threatening to me. This is how I'm understanding the laws down there.
Well I don't claim to have any expert knowledge of Texas law but you are welcome to shoot a few folks while driving down the road and let me know how it turns out for ya.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:53 AM
LM1

833 posts, read 756,272 times
Quote:
So, as I cruise through Texas with my gold, I can shoot anyone who seems threatening to me. This is how I'm understanding the laws down there.
The problem is with "your understanding", not the law.

Much like Floridas "Stand Your Ground" law* and the lies told by the anti self-defense troupe that cause people to have "understandings" like you do, which, oddly enough, are absolutely wrong.

(* Explanation here)

A question about trespassing in FL

Old 11-20-2007, 01:04 AM
LM1

833 posts, read 756,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Yep, I vote Democrat if that's what you're implying-but on the contrary, I aim for center mass and bet I can empty half of a 30 round clip before the other guy knows what hit him.
Yet you vote for the people who ardently oppose your right to have that "30 round clip" in the first place... How cute.

Old 11-20-2007, 02:43 AM

7,731 posts, read 12,171,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
So, I saw this news report...about a man from Texas, who saw 2 other men, breaking into his neighbors home.

He loads a shot gun, calls 911 and goes out and warns both the robbers..."if you move, I'll shoot to kill".

They moved and he shot while he was on the phone with 911...
He killed them both...as he knew the police would not arrive in time.

They interviewed one of the robbers wife, and she said the may who shot her husband was wrong and should be held accountable.

I say, what give any human being the idea, that it's ok to rob another person's home and not expect to be shot or arrested and put in prision? And yanno, I dont' care if they were armed or not...they don't have the right to go into another persons home with the intent to rob them.

What's your perspective and insight on this?
This murder is just another example of how sensitive people are. Another example is the recent murder of a teenager in New York, when he was shot dead by police officers just beacuse he was holding a hairbrush in his hand instead of what they thought was a gun. In both cases, the men should have waited until they were sure that they were in danger. This shows that people will not take chances and will defend themselves at the slightest provication of violence. These events would have not happened 40 years ago beacuse our grandparents and great grandparents would have not shot innocent people unless they were absolutely sure they were in mortal danger.

Old 11-20-2007, 03:11 AM

919 posts, read 1,701,389 times
Default this is not 40yrs ago

nowadays punk thiefs are robbing in daylite carrying guns. some little kid hiding in the bushes from the cops have a weapon on them. dont run and hide from the cops you wont get shot. dont rob my neighbors home and come on my property and you wont get shot. fair enough for the next 40yrs?

Old 11-20-2007, 05:36 AM

26,319 posts, read 24,418,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlsteved View Post
I don't know how old your son is now, but I hope the action you took with him worked and you raised/are raising an outstanding child, I really do...and believe me, I am ALL for taking responsibilty for your kids...I sure as hell don't wan't my kids being raised by the system...

But you never did address the point of my post. I suggested that if your child were burglarizing a house, god forbid, and someone KILLED him...you would be singing a different tune, that's all.

The crime doesn't fit the punishment, and I am appalled that more people don't agree with that. I am ALL FOR killing someone in self-defense, but correct me if I am wrong, these perps did not have weapons and this guy killed them...for burglary - end of story.

Vigilante justice is great in theory and in an emotional sense, but do you really want it to be the norm?

Think about it.

I'm sorry, I th ought my last post was clear.....
I am very stringent and strick when it comes to rules...and yes, my son turned out to be a great person...he was no trouble raising...he is presently a police officer....and that is why I feel so adamently about this subject....b/c he is out there, putting his life on the line, trying to make your neighborhood a safe place to live. But as I said before, our system is failing you, him, us...and these people are nearly always repeated offenders.

If my son, were looting someone else's home, and he wouldn't...but if he were and got shot, sure I'd be mortified, but I wouldn't let me repeat, I would not dismiss the law nor his crime, and I'd probably say something like, he was wrong for what he did and he got caught, and unfortunately we now all suffer for his choice/mistake.

I will say this...I know my son well enough to know that he respects the law, and wouldn't even consider stealing from someone else.

I believe the hardest thing for this country and it's citizens to do, is own up to the truth and accept responsiblity for our actions....

If I were to steal, I would hope that the law would stop me, and not put me back on the streets to do this again, and again.

As of yet, we do not know the situation behind this whole thing, but I would venture to say, that this guy who shot those two fellas, well, simply put, his neighborhood, might have been a target for criminals and break in's for a long time, and sooner or later, people get sick of it...yanno.

I feel badly, that these two men, I repeat, men, not boys, did not know any better. I will say, if those men would have broken into my home, I'd have shot them...why, b/c they are men...I am a woman, and I'm afraid, it's dark, and all I want to do is live.

Remember, those men should have known better...my God, haven't you ever heard the comment, "People get shot for less then that?" You don't do things like this, it is unacceptable behavior...it's a violation and your breaking the law. But, these men, had no fear of consequences for their actions...maybe, just maybe this man who shot them had, had enough?????

Time will tell....

Old 11-20-2007, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonwood2420 View Post
This murder is just another example of how sensitive people are. Another example is the recent murder of a teenager in New York, when he was shot dead by police officers just beacuse he was holding a hairbrush in his hand instead of what they thought was a gun. In both cases, the men should have waited until they were sure that they were in danger. This shows that people will not take chances and will defend themselves at the slightest provication of violence. These events would have not happened 40 years ago beacuse our grandparents and great grandparents would have not shot innocent people unless they were absolutely sure they were in mortal danger.
Dear Cottonwood....

I challenge you to put on a police uniform and walk the walk. These days, with so little respect for police officers...and in some situations, you can't wait. I feel badly to, but don't blame the law for shooting him, blame all the kids his age for having guns..and blame their parents, b/c they are the ones who made him a target.

Easy for you to say, yeah, wait and see what the kid was holding...yes, this is sad...yes, accidents happen, but in the underworld, that you are probably not the slightest bit familiar with, these kids are brutal...they shoot first and ask questions later....where have you been? Do you understand that there have been murders of innocents all over the country....and people want the guns taken away....
it isn't the guns, it's the person behind the gun, with so little parental upbringing that they would take a gun to school???????

I mean, what is going on????? How many of you thought to do this when you were kids????? We certainly didn't.

We respected our parents and feared a consequence for our actions growing up. Our parents started discipline when we were very young, therefore, it never even got that far. And we knew, at the time, our butts would have been sore for a week, if we would have done something even minor. The difference was discipline and good caring parents.

Yes, some do go bad, but not to the extent of what is happening today...and take a look at the people that are committing these crimes.

And when something like this happens, everyone wants help from the government....the answer isn't the government...the answer is, education...moral education, discipline and responsiblity which is all good parenting.

Sorry, but when people speak as you do, it really upsets me, b/c all your doing is making statements that have gotten this country in this fix in the first place.

By the way, 40 years ago, accidents like this still happened...don't you read? We just didn't hear about them as much, but unfortunately, even then, innocent people were mistaken for the bad guy, or arrested and put in jail for life...that is another reason our system is now so lax, due to the innocents who were faulsly convicted.

Do you want to know why this has happened? B/c school teachers found that some kids were actually being abused by their parents...so instead of educating those parents, and trying to deprogram the damage done to abusers....they penalized entire communities and started telling the kids in school that it's wrong if you spank your kids...it's wrong if your parents punish you, and now kids everywhere, turn their parents in for grounding them, etc. Do you have any idea how many kids call the police out to their homes, b/c the kid cannot get his/her way?

Parents are afraid to spank their kids now adays...it has richoched and gone in the complete opposite direction...

When this country learns they can't resolve problems with quick fixes, things will get better.

It has to start at home...you have to be a parent and you have to be strict....I cannot believe how many grown ups today are driving around with loud radios so loud, it shakes your windows on your home?????? What message does that send to kids???? They surely do not repsect the pirvacy of others, or even consider that someone might be working second shift and trying to sleep.

Parents today, need education on how to parent...and it will be a slow process, but if you look at the parents of all these kids who are carrying guns, and shooting other people, ask yourself why and stop blaming everyone else.

I don't feel badly for the criminal...if these "MEN" hadn't been there, robbing someone elses home, we wouldn't be here debating it, would we? Period.

These were grown MEN...they had no right to do what they were doing....and there WAS something found by their bodies that belonged to the neighbor whose home they broke into. I listened to one of those attorneys last night...who is trying to make a name for himself, by appearing on CNN with his version. Yanno what, when it comes down to it, he doesn't care about anything else, but the exposure CNN got him for voicing his opinion on TV last night.

He, in my book is an idoit and contributes to the world situnation today.

Thanks Cottonwood for giving me the opportunity to spout off and give my perspectives on this subject.

Respectfully
Creme

Last edited by cremebrulee; 11-20-2007 at 05:57 AM..

Old 11-20-2007, 05:59 AM

Quote:
No, your wrong and your taking it to the complete other end of the spectrum to prove your point, which really doesn't give a good perspective of the debate.

Again, let someone break in your home, and put a gun to your head and come back and root for the criminal. Get out there and do a ride along with the police and then come back and make this same statement....believe me, within a week of ride alongs, you will be changed forever. Not to mention, receive an education of a side of life you never dreamed existed. Sheesh, I cannot believe people actually live in these protective little plastic bubbles away from the rest of the world, and what is REALLY going on.

Last edited by cremebrulee; 11-20-2007 at 06:14 AM..

Old 11-20-2007, 06:12 AM

and by the way, if any police officers are reading this, I want to say, you folks work a thankless job and are underpaid. You are to be commended, and you deserve to be acknowledged for your career choice.

I had the job of living in the neighborhood where we grew up, which was, when I was little, a great law abiding neighborhood. But over the years, it bought people in who no longer cared about their properties....who were less then desirables. Time slowly chipped away at the values, morals and respect our neighborhood once knew.

After my divorce, 12 years ago, I found myself moving back home to the house that we all grew up in and was in for a culture shock. It had become over run with people who didn't work, who didn't care how their properties looked, who were the kind of people who put real honest ta goodness sofas on their porches, who dealt drugs, were alcholics, who beat their wives in the street, while the neighbor across the street cheered them on, who broke into my apartment upstairs....who was a theif, and a cheat...who made advances at me many times...

And all these people were white...just in case anyone wants to think I'm a racist....

So, it got to be, that my mother was to old to move...and I stayed, and stayed to protect her and give her, her last days in her home, but I cannot tell you how many times she cried b/c her neighborhood, where she grew up with her kids...where her own mother and father lived, had turned into a very dangerous place to live.

Thank you, to the many police officers who responded to our calls, who advised us, who actually made arrests, and helped to protect us.

My mother is gone now, and I do not regret staying here and trying to protect her, little thing that she was...all of 90 lbs. soak and wet. So, upon defending criminals, you get no where with me...I've been affected two ways, first, my son putting his life on the line for people who want to defend the criminals to the point that he arrests them for breaking and entering, and you people put him back on the streets, again and again....

and second, because I've lived it....so, sorry, you don't get to defend criminals who got shot for breaking and entering to me. Not after we were broken into....again and again....and that guy who made advances to me, broke into my apartment while I wasn't home and walked around my personal space, opening up drawers, sat in my furniture, watched my TV, and not only bragged about it, but also, told neighbors about it and described my apartment so people knew it was true. He also took a neighbor who tried to help him, gave him a job, tried to pull him out of his mind set, and the guy stole from him. Sheesh?

Old 11-20-2007, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Well regardless folks, I think its safe to say that this guy was not even remotely justified. If you think that thieves should be executed on the spot then you're standing firmly on the side of the guys who brought down the twin towers. Yep, radical Islam is right in line with your belief system-congratulations!

Here's a little brain teaser for all of you trigger happy guys: You own a convenience store with a second floor apartment above. One night you're woken by a noise and look out the back window to see a man carrying food out of your back freezer. Do you stick the gun out the window and kill him right then and there? How about if this was during an economic downturn on the scale of the Great Depression?

Again, when its time for deadly force I'll use it. And I do mean deadly. 000 buckshot coming from a 3" magnum fired by an 870 pump would make quite a mess out of a human being at close range.
But this didn't happen...these men were in fact caught with the goods on their posession...and besides, I would not deny anyone food, if they came to my door and asked me for help, I'd give them what was left in my frig...but don't steal from me....

and we are not, I repeat, NOT, to be radical Islams who bought down the twin towers....shessh, talk about people who take an issue to the complete opposite end of the spectrum....

When would you deem deadly force is necessary? If you lived in a neighborhood where criminals were constantly breaking in, what would you do...did you ever think, for a moment, that maybe this man who shot the theives, didn't know that his neighbors were not home?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies