U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2007, 10:48 AM

69,372 posts, read 55,346,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanborn View Post
Hate to break it to you, but in Texas you cannot take somes homstead in a civil lawsuit.
Well he's safe there I guess.. and since he's going to jail, the judgment would be uncollectible..

Technically I guess since you cant profit from your crime, I wonder if that would be a defense from any lawsuits from the thugs anyways.. who knows.. wonder what a lawyer would say.

Old 12-05-2007, 10:50 AM

9,715 posts, read 13,290,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
The whole 911 call lasted I think around 20 seconds before he shot them. I mean who is stupid enough to call 911 to announce that they are going to kill 2 people.
Read this part of the transcript again:

Quote:
On the tape of the 911 call, the shotgun can be heard being cocked and Horn can be heard going outside and confronting someone.

"Boom! You're dead!" he shouts. A loud bang is heard, then a shotgun being cocked and fired again, and then again.

Then Horn is back on the phone:
"Get the law over here quick. I've now, get, one of them's in the front yard over there, he's down, he almost run down the street. I had no choice. They came in the front yard with me, man, I had no choice! ... Get somebody over here quick, man."

Dispatcher: "Mister Horn, are you out there right now?"

Horn: "No, I am inside the house, I went back in the house. Man, they come right in my yard, I didn't know what the --- they was gonna do, I shot 'em, OK?"

Dispatcher: "Did you shoot somebody?

Horn: "Yes, I did, the cops are here right now."

Dispatcher: "Where are you right now?"

Horn: "I'm inside the house. ..."

Dispatcher: "Mister Horn, put that gun down before you shoot an officer of mine. I've got several officers out there without uniforms on."

Horn: "I am in the front yard right now. I am ..."

Dispatcher: "Put that gun down! There's officers out there without uniforms on. Do not shoot anybody else, do you understand me? I've got police out there..."

Horn: "I understand, I understand. I am out in the front yard waving my hand right now."
(Link to whole transcript: Man Kills Suspects While On Phone With 911, Two Men Shot In Texas By Joe Horn Who Saw Suspects Leaving Neighbor's House - CBS News)

So, I'm willing to bet that undercover cops were already there...

Old 12-05-2007, 10:53 AM

1,497 posts, read 4,440,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
So, I saw this news report...about a man from Texas, who saw 2 other men, breaking into his neighbors home.

He loads a shot gun, calls 911 and goes out and warns both the robbers..."if you move, I'll shoot to kill".

They moved and he shot while he was on the phone with 911...
He killed them both...as he knew the police would not arrive in time.

They interviewed one of the robbers wife, and she said the may who shot her husband was wrong and should be held accountable.

I say, what give any human being the idea, that it's ok to rob another person's home and not expect to be shot or arrested and put in prision? And yanno, I dont' care if they were armed or not...they don't have the right to go into another persons home with the intent to rob them.

What's your perspective and insight on this?
This is a flame. Of course the criminal's wife thinks the man who was defending himself is a criminal.

This is ridiculous!! This man is NOT a vigilante. He is a concerned citizen who was in fear for his life and property. One of the "wonderful individuals" you are all trying to defend was in the man's lawn contemplating in breaking inside his home.

The @$@% liberal media is distorting the story and leaving out parts of the 911 tape that shows this man was scared for his life and they were working on breaking into his home!!

The ONLY reason this is even on the news is because liebarsl are trying to say "a white racist shot these poor black men who were robbing someone's home... they weren't doing any harm." STOP TREATING THESE THUGS LIKE THEY ARE ROBIN HOOD! They are CRIMINALS!

Old 12-05-2007, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Read this part of the transcript again:

(Link to whole transcript: Man Kills Suspects While On Phone With 911, Two Men Shot In Texas By Joe Horn Who Saw Suspects Leaving Neighbor's House - CBS News)

So, I'm willing to bet that undercover cops were already there...
Not sure what argument you are trying to make, i've read the transcript and all it does is support my thought that he should be charged..

Old 12-05-2007, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
This is a flame. Of course the criminal's wife thinks the man who was defending himself is a criminal.

This is ridiculous!! This man is NOT a vigilante. He is a concerned citizen who was in fear for his life and property. One of the "wonderful individuals" you are all trying to defend was in the man's lawn contemplating in breaking inside his home.

The @$@% liberal media is distorting the story and leaving out parts of the 911 tape that shows this man was scared for his life and they were working on breaking into his home!!

The ONLY reason this is even on the news is because liebarsl are trying to say "a white racist shot these poor black men who were robbing someone's home... they weren't doing any harm." STOP TREATING THESE THUGS LIKE THEY ARE ROBIN HOOD! They are CRIMINALS!
As someone who believe he should be charged, I will stipulate
1) The robbers were thugs
2) the man is not a vigilanti
3) he was a concerned citizen who was in fear
4) there was no racial motive in the shooting

that being said, nothing in the law states you can shoot to kill because someone is robbing your neighbors house. Forget all about how the media is playing this out, right now its in the court of law, not court of public opinion. The castle law clearly says your own home, your own property, fear for your life. All three have to apply and 1 out of 3 doesnt exonerate him.

Old 12-05-2007, 11:02 AM

9,715 posts, read 13,290,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Not sure what argument you are trying to make, i've read the transcript and all it does is support my thought that he should be charged..
I think he should be charged too (and I've thought so all along) -- but now, with the KHOU story and a closer reading of the transcript, I think there were undercover cops watching this whole thing go down while it was happening.

I'm pretty sure Mr. Horn is going to be indicted. It appears he jeopardized a larger investigation they were conducting. These two burglars appear to be part of a larger group -- kind of like the Mafia.

Old 12-05-2007, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I think he should be charged too (and I've thought so all along) -- but now, with the KHOU story and a closer reading of the transcript, I think there were undercover cops watching this whole thing go down while it was happening.

I'm pretty sure Mr. Horn is going to be indicted. It appears he jeopardized a larger investigation they were conducting. These two burglars appear to be part of a larger group -- kind of like the Mafia.
I feel bad for the guy, I feel bad that he was scared so bad that he took such actions but the law is the law.

One thing I havent heard..

Is the guy mentally stable? I mean is he really sound, no psychiatric problems? He almost sounded paranoid and I wonder how many rational people would go out and simply shoot someone else after the 911 operator told him police were in the area. I would buy a psychiatric defense but legal defense doesnt fly..

Old 12-05-2007, 11:53 AM

26,316 posts, read 24,413,788 times
Default To Whomever Gave Me A Negative Rep

To whomever Gave me a negative rep, for the title of this thread...
Vigulante shoots robbers breaking into his neighbors home....AND WHO LEFT ME AN ANOYNOMOUS NOTE ON MY REPS...HE IS NOT A VIGULANTE...PLEASE LOOK UP THE DEFINITION OF VIGILANTE

1.any person who takes the law into his or her own hands, as by avenging a crime.

I AM FOR THIS GUY for DOING WHAT HE DID!

AND I'd like to ask how a person so misinformed can give someone else a negative rep? I thought a negative rep could only be given if someone threatens you or uses bad languange? How is it, that someone who comes along and simply reads the title of a thread, without knowing what my opinion is, can give you a bad repitition???????

Old 12-05-2007, 11:56 AM

26,316 posts, read 24,413,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NANGING View Post
BLACK OR WHITE THEY HAD NO BUSINESS IN SOMEONES HOME BURGLARIZING IT. MORE BURGLARS SHOULD BE SHOT, BECAUSE THE JUDICIAL SYSTEM GOES WAY TO EASY ON THEM.
IT COULD HAVE TURNED OUT LIKE THE FOOTBALL PLAYER IN FLORIDAS BURLARY, THAN WHAT ?
WHY DOES THE BLACK CARD HAVE TO BE P[LAYED ?
AND WHAT KIND OF MINISTER FROM THE BLACK CHURCH THINKS IT'S ALRIGHT TO BURGLARIZE. (THOU SHALL NOT STEAL IS ONE OF THE 10 COMMANDMENTS TOO)
I AM GLAD PEOPLE STOOD UP TO THE PROTESTERS.
I am to....that is, glad he did it? Do you always type in caps or were you under the impression that I was against what he did, cause someone came along, just read the title of this thread, and assumed I was against what he did and left me a message saying..."He wasn't a vigilante" ???????? I'm not accusing you, I just think it is unfair of someone to give a bad rep because they disagree with the title of your thread...this person apparently doesn't know what a vigilante is?????? sheesh, I've called myself a verbal vigilante at times.....

I really do think people need to read the threads before they give bad reps yanno? Not fair!!!

Old 12-05-2007, 12:00 PM

2,770 posts, read 5,346,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
To whomever Gave me a negative rep, for the title of this thread...
Vigulante shoots robbers breaking into his neighbors home....AND WHO LEFT ME AN ANOYNOMOUS NOTE ON MY REPS...HE IS NOT A VIGULANTE...PLEASE LOOK UP THE DEFINITION OF VIGILANTE

1.any person who takes the law into his or her own hands, as by avenging a crime.

I AM FOR THIS GUY for DOING WHAT HE DID!

AND I'd like to ask how a person so misinformed can give someone else a negative rep? I thought a negative rep could only be given if someone threatens you or uses bad languange? How is it, that someone who comes along and simply reads the title of a thread, without knowing what my opinion is, can give you a bad repitition???????
I had the same problem a little while ago. You should definitely talk to one of the mods as they are quite understanding with that sort of thing. They helped me out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies