Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2007, 06:50 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,165,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I believe most people do so.....I mean, no one puts a sign on their door, "I have guns"? But I will tell you this...houses do get broken into, a lot...and I know there are people who love to show off their guns in gun cabinets and keep their amunition hidden in other spots...but the bottom line is...if you were a robber...would you break into the home with all the guns...or the home that didn't have any? And believe me, most robbers know...they scope out your home sometims for weeks before they break in....and they read the obits...and break in those homes...but do you honestly believe that any robber would chance breaking into a collectors house...I'm sure they do, now and then, but I'd be willing to bet they're not your average everyday kid punk...but professionals...

and I do believe it happens, don't get me wrong...and I can't speak for anyone else outside my family...but I do know my family takes very good care.

I believe gun owners should be responsible for their guns that are stolen.

Bravo! If they have good security!

Boo Hiss! If they don't!

Old 11-21-2007, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM1 View Post
Huge misunderstanding; you're showing that you've fallen prey to media hype and histrionics.

.50 BMG's are absurdly large (often times, over 5' long) heavy (often times over 40#), expensive ($3500-$10,000) specialty target rifles. They exist in relatively small numbers in the gun community and represent a near total absence from criminal activity (because they're huge and expensive)

The media made them into a biiiiig scawee boogie man, and people who were predisposed to dislike guns or people like yourself who really don't understand them bought the lies and hyperbole hook, line and sinker (because after all... no matter what you say, deep down, you really believe that no one "needs" guns anyway, so if they take a few away, no biggie, right?)

They can certainly take that ammo away. Are you going to be crying for the poor criminals? "But they NEED it! And so do wE!"

Old 11-21-2007, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
UB50 I can totally relate to the reasons why you would not have a gun...but I on the other hand, am a single women, who stayed living in a neighborhood that turned bad, to protect my mom, and also help take care of her....

Our neighbors here are not really reliable...and kinda what you'd refer to as low life boarder line theives, and one was a murderer.

These people living here are not your average human beings...and it's not that they are simply poor, they are low life...alchoholics...and the other bragged about how he made a living out of breaking in homes....

I plan on moving out very soon..but until then, the only person I have to depend on, and want to depend on is me.

I didn't play the tough guy, but you could hear me 20 blocks away if someone ruffled my feathers. I am known to all, to be a very privet person, who will not take any crap from anyone...and that was on purpose, cuz I didn't want anyone thinking they could take advantage of my mom. We had one neighbor here who was a real low life...he engratiated himself on old women and cried and cried poor so they would feel sorry for him and give him money....

So, you see, this is coming from a woman who has been around guns all her life, who has hunted, and whose family are all gun owners and would protect me with their lives...it's just how we are. We're not illiterate, or mountain people or dumb bears...LOL....actually, I work for a very large corporation and am a career woman....but tough...and I can be a real handful....have had some pretty close calls and some bad experiences....and after a while, there are just some people in this world you cannot be nice to...or they'll stab you in the back...for a few bucks.
Come to LA! I'll protect you! Without a gun!

Seriously!

Old 11-21-2007, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM1 View Post
Huge misunderstanding; you're showing that you've fallen prey to media hype and histrionics.

.50 BMG's are absurdly large (often times, over 5' long) heavy (often times over 40#), expensive ($3500-$10,000) specialty target rifles. They exist in relatively small numbers in the gun community and represent a near total absence from criminal activity (because they're huge and expensive)

The media made them into a biiiiig scawee boogie man, and people who were predisposed to dislike guns or people like yourself who really don't understand them bought the lies and hyperbole hook, line and sinker (because after all... no matter what you say, deep down, you really believe that no one "needs" guns anyway, so if they take a few away, no biggie, right?)
Here in Los Angeles, I don't want to see any bullets that travel through walls. You better be a good shot with your gun because you are going to have to play with baby bullets.

And I'm sure you are thinking: "Why??!!"

I believe your guns rights stop at my walls. So you should have bullets that don't come through my walls.

I don't feel that this is unreasonable. I've let you have your guns, now you let me have my peace.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:26 PM
LM1

833 posts, read 997,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
They can certainly take that ammo away. Are you going to be crying for the poor criminals? "But they NEED it! And so do wE!"
It's amazing, how people who take the position you do on firearms ownership and gun rights show a starkly consistent inability to maintain logical continuity in anything they say or do.

With people like you, everything is about emotionally driven free associations, talking points and "feelings" - truth, fact and logic be damned. So, what's your point? It doesn't even matter if you have one, it seems.
Do the words you just typed there pertain to the words you were addressing?
Not in the slightest, but that doesn't seem to matter either. I'm sure you "feel" you're making sense and you "feel" your position is the best one and you "feel" that you're clearly proving your point.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:29 PM
LM1

833 posts, read 997,669 times
Quote:

I believe your guns rights stop at my walls. So you should have bullets that don't come through my walls.
Wee!
Perfect-world pretend! LMAO @ "bullets that don't go through walls". Shows how laughably little you know about both bullets and residential construction.

But since we're playing pretend, can we now pretend that we have magic bullets that not only don't go through walls, but travel around corners and intentionally avoid hitting innocent people too? Maybe we can keep them in our pockets and converse with them when we're lonely- magical Psychologist bullets that talk bad people out of doing bad things...

Man, it must be nice living in la-la land...

Old 11-21-2007, 08:07 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,770,110 times
Quote:
I'd like to see lazy irresponsible gun owners punished whenever their stolen weapon is used to commit a crime. If you can't keep your guns out of the hands of criminals, you don't deserve to have any guns.

Is that too mean?

I could say the same thing about your car.

Old 11-21-2007, 10:57 PM

223 posts, read 604,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackie94 View Post
first off it wasnt murder, did they or did they not approach him on his property?

that constitutes a threat...if he felt at that point he was being threatened...

ok you say he should have stayed inside...he didnt he didnt let the criminals dictate the action....aginst what a dispatcher said...

so get off the holier then thou kick filled with insults.

the simple fact is dispatcher "USUALLY ARENT COPS" and they are usually not tactically proficient... they arent meant to be advisors they are meant to take reports and DISPATCH authorities where needed and provide a link of higher communication...

that was my point but if you are going to get so butthurt over that...

hick, maybe but pasadena aint really a hick town....I would take a hick over some ass hat city slicker any day
So if a dispatcher is trying to tell you how to do CPR, you aren't going to listen? From where I come from, dispatchers are meant to be the pre-cursor to the arrival of the emergency services...not sure how everyone else feels about that, but I worked EMS as a medic for 6 years and I sure trusted my dispatchers to be intelligent and knowledgeable.

and it is murder...he claimed they approached him during the second phone call to 911...during the first, he clearly admits that they are coming out of his neighbors windows and that he is going to kill them. period...against the direction of the dispatcher.

BS end of story...he should be out of his rights to kill when he makes the CHOICE to kill... which he clearly did.

Why don't you pro-killing people come up with a better martyr than this hick? I am sure there are some justified killings out there...I would support someone if they caught a dude and killed him while raping their neighbor

Old 11-22-2007, 04:09 AM

294 posts, read 437,415 times
Quote:
When I was younger, I didn't always hang out with the safest crowd. To be honest, I think having a gun escalates things in a hurry. I'd much rather be armed with something else and thinking about how to get the gun away from the other guy than having a gun myself.

Unfortunately, I think guns give people a false sense of security.

How happy would you be if that criminal got to your shotgun before you did and used it against you?
mostly true statments IMO. if you are going to have a gun you need to learn (be trained) in all its facets including local law and safety. when you talk about stuff escalating in a hurry it is usually some asshat who by all rights shouldnt have one. most of my friends are usually armed (ocncealed weapons permits etc) and they will not draw there weapons until they aboslutley have too. (some have never had to others have)

as far as getting a gun away form somebody. that can be an escalation of force, and alot of the time isnt very effective, secondly if somebody is willing to shoot you that will get you shot. better bet is to get the hell away from the person with the gun.

guns do give people a false sense of security, users need to be fully aware of the ramifications of having a weapon in possession. we teach to law enforcemnt and military (this is also what i learned) that even if you are the only one holding a gun, there is still a gun in the fight you can get shot with. that goes for anybody..

alhtough you seem to think i am a sociopathic internet commando. i am a huge proponent on owners being trained in all facets (including law) of gun ownership and usage. i think it should be required for anybody who wants to own a weapon. I think gun ownership should be required and tested.

Old 11-22-2007, 04:15 AM

294 posts, read 437,415 times
Quote:
I just wanted to post something about that 50 caliber ammunition that they outlawed in LA (or maybe California -- I don't know). That stuff will go through two police cars -- so imagine what it will do to cheap apartment drywall. You could probably shoot through 10 apartments!

How scary is that? 10 apartments with people in them? Maybe people need this kind of ammunition in Montana BUT PLEASE KEEP IT OUT OF CALIFORNIA!!!!!

My feeling on Second Amendment rights is that your rights end where my life begins. I can't smoke in a lot of areas because of fears of "second hand smoke" -- what about fears of second hand bullets? Sorry, but if smoke can kill, bullets can too and you need to stop the habit.
they will go through a truck engine block, armored vehicles and two ten inch concrete walls (not all together). we called our 50's truck killers..

I dont think it should be outlawed, but ownership needs to be scrutinized. i personally would love to have one for long range shooting (they cost 4500$ and up), but there is no need for home defense. unless you are awaiting light armoured hordes to invade...

i understand my rights and your life deal. but how many people have you ever heard of getting whacked by a 50 in the united states? If someone does something irresponsible they should be punished brutally. but banning them for that reason is as about as logically as banning drivers for the fear that they might drink and crash into my house...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies