Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 11:39 AM

22,915 posts, read 28,260,195 times

Advertisements

Taken from a letter that Republican President Dwight Eisenhower wrote to his brother in 1954.

From: Presidential Papers, Doc#1147 Personal and confidential To Edgar Newton Eisenhower, 8 November 1954. In The Papers of Dwight David Eisenhower

Now it is true that I believe this country is following a dangerous trend when it permits too great a degree of centralization of governmental functions. I oppose this--in some instances the fight is a rather desperate one. But to attain any success it is quite clear that the Federal government cannot avoid or escape responsibilities which the mass of the people firmly believe should be undertaken by it. The political processes of our country are such that if a rule of reason is not applied in this effort, we will lose everything--even to a possible and drastic change in the Constitution. This is what I mean by my constant insistence upon "moderation" in government. Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes you can do these things. Among them are H. L. Hunt (you possibly know his background), a few other Texas oil millionaires, and an occasional politician or business man from other areas. Their number is negligible and they are stupid.

Hm. "Texas oil millionaries" who is "stupid." Remind you of anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 11:44 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,627,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs,
Gotta call him out on social security which is nothing more than a federally forced interest free loan from the citizens. Its bogus, and should be an optional program, not forced. We've seen how politicians have a hard time keeping their hands out of cookie jars, and then we raise taxes to put the cookies back in. Farm programs? We can thank them for effectively squeezing out the small farmers.

Old 12-04-2007, 05:55 PM

640 posts, read 461,352 times
Hmmm. George W. Bush was born in 1946 making him 8-years old in 1954. Was he a "texas oilman" then?? I think he was in grade school in Massachusetts....

Old 12-04-2007, 06:06 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,628,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner_Nation_60 View Post
Hmmm. George W. Bush was born in 1946 making him 8-years old in 1954. Was he a "texas oilman" then?? I think he was in grade school in Massachusetts....
Maybe he's thinking about T. Boone Pickens who supported the Swift Boat liars, though he also was probably to young in 1954 to be a millionaie.

Old 12-04-2007, 06:12 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,628,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
Gotta call him out on social security which is nothing more than a federally forced interest free loan from the citizens. Its bogus, and should be an optional program, not forced.
Well, for the people who didn't save for their retirement because they weren't forced to, then who's gonna be forced to support them when they retire? Their children?

Old 12-04-2007, 08:00 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,460,073 times
Fantastic quote. Enjoyed it immensely.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner_Nation_60 View Post
That's why the subject heading says "predicts," as in "foretell the future." Strange how accurate it is, eh?

Old 12-04-2007, 08:52 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,470,227 times
Quote:
Gotta call him out on social security which is nothing more than a federally forced interest free loan from the citizens.
The government pays a market-based rate of interest on every penny in payroll taxes not concurrently used for the payment of scheduled benefits.

Quote:
Its bogus, and should be an optional program, not forced.
It's worked beautifully for over 70 years, and even if we do nothing at all, it will be just as peachy for at least another 55-60. Meanwhile, the taxpayers are not going to let you starve in the streets in your old age. Be a man about it and pitch in your share of the costs for that beforehand. That's what Eisenhower would have told you...

Old 12-05-2007, 06:51 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,627,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
The government pays a market-based rate of interest on every penny in payroll taxes not concurrently used for the payment of scheduled benefits.
Lol, thats laughable. If my social security contributions since age 18 had gone directly to a diversified investment strategy, I would have already netted more than triple what my social security payouts would be if I became permanently disabled right now and lived to age 80.

Quote:
It's worked beautifully for over 70 years, and even if we do nothing at all, it will be just as peachy for at least another 55-60. Meanwhile, the taxpayers are not going to let you starve in the streets in your old age. Be a man about it and pitch in your share of the costs for that beforehand. That's what Eisenhower would have told you...
I'd rather pitch my share into something I have control over. Maybe they will figure out what they are gonna do when Social Security goes broke, maybe they won't. I'd prefer not to trust the Dems or Republicans either one with my money.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Lol, thats laughable. If my social security contributions since age 18 had gone directly to a diversified investment strategy, I would have already netted more than triple what my social security payouts would be if I became permanently disabled right now and lived to age 80.
You are proceeding from a false assumption on how Social Security works. The money you pay in now is NOT for you. Never has been. The money you pay now is financing people's benefits today. And when your turn comes, the younger generation will finance yours. This was part of the "social contract" of Roosevelt's New Deal. Basically: You help folks in need today, and when you're in need tomorrow, folks will help you.

Social Security is exactly what it says it is: a social safety net. It is not and was never intended to be an investment strategy.

It's a great system and worked beautifully (albeit at times imperfectly) until Reagan starting gutting the system in the '80s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies