Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Republicans and Democrats together are creating government shutdown threat to prove Federal governme
Yes 7 31.82%
No 15 68.18%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 03:22 PM

215 posts, read 297,425 times

Advertisements

Arlington, Loudoun, Fairfax counties in Virginia and Howard County in Maryland, suburbs of the Washington, D.C. Region rank among the four highest incomes in the nation, according to Census Bureau data ranking counties by median family income.

From the article, "Maryland has four counties with median family incomes of more than $100,000. Counting the city of Alexandria, Northern Virginia has seven."

Arlington, Loudoun County have highest incomes in nation - Washington Business Journal

Do you think the Republicans and the Democrats are creating this government shutdown threat together, to keep the money flowing into the National Capital Region? If not, why?

The National Capital Region median family income doesn't make them the wealthiest in the U.S., it just shows how dependent these households are on their government or contracting jobs, some as dual incomes drawn from government or contracting.

The city of Washington, D.C. is still majority minority, with more blacks than whites. Prince Georges County in Maryland, a suburb of D.C. is the most affluent majority black suburb in the U.S. The Federal government employs more black women as a percentage of the entire population than any other private or public entity.

A government shutdown would affect these minority households in the National Capital Region.

Are these unspoken issues or "hidden agendas" that neither Democrats nor Republicans will speak publicly about? Or have residents of the National Capital Region been protected in a bubble for the past decade while the rest of the country has dramatically been affected by their policies?

Thoughts?

Old 09-30-2013, 05:32 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Government will not shut down. Government will continue to spend 3.6 trillion dollars with waste and fraud and Crony Capitalism accounting for a huge amount of that spending.

The privileged class will continue to get all of their perks. Obama will continue his lavish vacations. Kerry will fly all over the world having useless meetings and feeling important. Congress will continue to get their pensions and lavish lifestyle support. NSA will continue to spend billions spying on Americans. LE will continue to spend billions locking up Americans because they didn't follow the government specified lifestyle. Obama will continue to spend hundreds of billions on useless wars.

Yes, the waste, fraud and lavish spending will continue as usual.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:39 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,859,543 times
The government has shut down 17 times since 1977.

The worst thing to come out of -- or perhaps come in -- a government shutdown was that Bill Clinton and Monica Lewinsky got together during the 1995 shutdown to play "cigar store Indian". Fortunately for Obama, the White House interns are no longer allowed to work during shutdowns.

The reality is that this is all drama, created by the idiots -- the government divas -- that we have elected.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:43 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I could not care less. The government shutting down will prove how useless it is. The bloat and useless spending is unbelievable.
I should say, in full disclosure, that I am glad my son in the Army will continue to get paid, and also my DH and I will
continue to get Social Security and Medicare. Beyond that, I think it will prove how useless the government really is.
My favorite fantasy is that I am in charge of the government. Each Bill will be presented to me, summarized on one page only. I will say yes, or no. Can you imagine the sputtering? It would be awesome.

Old 09-30-2013, 06:07 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I could not care less. The government shutting down will prove how useless it is. The bloat and useless spending is unbelievable.
I should say, in full disclosure, that I am glad my son in the Army will continue to get paid, and also my DH and I will
continue to get Social Security and Medicare. Beyond that, I think it will prove how useless the government really is.
My favorite fantasy is that I am in charge of the government. Each Bill will be presented to me, summarized on one page only. I will say yes, or no. Can you imagine the sputtering? It would be awesome.
How gracious of you. Your bread is buttered, so everyone else can f@#$ off.

Old 09-30-2013, 06:13 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,665,015 times
What a surprise...the President and Congress will continue to be paid as they are considered "essential personnel." Ha! Harry Reid's speech about the Republicans being bullies, cracked me up. He is such an idiot...like the Democrats aren't? How he was reelected amazes me. Nevada! What were you thinking???

I am neither a Democrat or Republican, but IMO the Democrats are really lobbying for a shut down because they can blame the Republicans. I hope the Republicans give in and let the Democrats have their ACA and when the entire thing heads down the toilet they can blame no one but themselves.

If it was so "important" where were the Dems and President this weekend?

Old 09-30-2013, 06:17 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,354,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curly_Q View Post
Do you think the Republicans and the Democrats are creating this government shutdown threat together, to keep the money flowing into the National Capital Region? If not, why?
Absolutely not! Accept for the few fence-straddlers in the Republican Party, the two parties are two different species of critters that don't even speak the same language any more. I also fail to understand how a partial shutdown of the Federal government stops the flow of money into the D.C. area? Although the distribution of tax dollars may be slowed when some contractors and a few Federal employees are temporarily sent home, a shutdown does not stop the flow of tax revenues into the area. That dam will be quickly restored as the funds are fully restored to these people at the restart.

A partial shutdown serves no one but the Democratic Party who has a President whose popularity has been lagging just as he begins his second term. Both the media and the polls agree that the Republicans have zero to gain from this.

Old 09-30-2013, 06:18 PM

215 posts, read 297,425 times
I just don't think most Americans realize how much the National Capital Region (not just politicians and CEOs) has become rich from the last ten years, while the rest of the country has suffered.

Old 09-30-2013, 06:19 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,831,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I keep seeing news reports saying that the troops won't be paid. Either way it won't last long. It's just more grandstanding by the professional clowns we have elected to represent us. What a joke they are!
Unfortunately, the joke is on us!

Old 09-30-2013, 06:20 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
What a surprise...the President and Congress will continue to be paid as they are considered "essential personnel." Ha! Harry Reid's speech about the Republicans being bullies, cracked me up. He is such an idiot...like the Democrats aren't? How he was reelected amazes me. Nevada! What were you thinking???

I am neither a Democrat or Republican, but IMO the Democrats are really lobbying for a shut down because they can blame the Republicans. I hope the Republicans give in and let the Democrats have their ACA and when the entire thing heads down the toilet they can blame no one but themselves.

If it was so "important" where were the Dems and President this weekend?
I honestly think that is the best way forward. Let Obamacare be the mess it is sure to be and sit back and say 'told ya so'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies