Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 01:34 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,003,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
Anyway you come to grips with the govt shutdown, the ultimate villian is going to be the GOP.

I consider myself a moderate independent voter-----therefore, I dont strictly align along party lines.

As this plays out for a couple of days the numbers will increase in the polls and reflect that blame is going to be assigned to the GOP.

There was not a need for a confrontation like this to occur------I feel that this shutdown was preconceived as the GOP knew the President and the dems were not going to delay the new healthcare law. Putting that on the table guarnteed a confrontation and a govt shutdown.

If the GOP intent was to embarras the President and the Dems, is it worth the national anxiety that this is causing.

Most people that I know are getting tired of these annual games and carnivals that are playing out every year around budget time.

It is about time that the our legislators respect the American people and do what they are suppossed to be doing----not throwing demands on the table that they know will not possibly be negotiable. While not being a big fan of the President, I knew that he would not negotiate away the implementation of healthcare-----he already agreed to a one year delay for small business participation in the plan.

I think there is going to be a significant shock value coming from all of this------and a major shock value for the Gop when the outrage really hits.
I am the same as you I am registered Independent in Minnesota and do not vote along party lines. But right now and over the past few years I have come to disassociate myself with the far right wing of the GOP and thus have voted more democratic in the past few years. This only intensifies my beliefs. I have certainly voted for moderate Republicans before and will do so again...but the extreme wing I will no longer support.

14,361 posts, read 9,787,236 times
Originally Posted by steven_h
Originally Posted by steven_h
Why doesn't anyone question why Obama has missed 4 budgets entirely? He had full control of all levels of government and even his Dem senate and house refused to pass his insane budgets.

The lunatics are running the asylum folks.

What? You mean that passing a budget is meaningless? Then why has the government shut down tonight?

Are you actually trying to participate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by krieger00 View Post
Oh I though you were talking about the US Senate that hasn't passed a budget since 2009. If that the case they would not follow it if they did so it kind of point less IMO.
Congratulations on owning the most disconnected post in this thread.

1,724 posts, read 1,471,273 times
Republicans are officially radicals....taking the uninsured hostage and shutting down the government.

Then again, Cons are always on the wrong side of history.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:35 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post

If the GOP intent was to embarras the President and the Dems, is it worth the national anxiety that this is causing.
What "anxiety"?

The only time we the people are safe, is when the government's not doing anything.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:36 AM

2,234 posts, read 1,758,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
You do understand that Law is to be followed )Come on Obama!) and can be changed?

You should also be aware of no one side gets their way all of time.

Tip O'Neill shut it down 12 times, the Dems are experts at this.

"Law of the Land"?

Let's talk about the utter disrespect of the Bill of Rights going on in Washington for starters.
Do you understand that this law was voted on not to long ago and way passed? Do you understand that Republicans had several opportunities (vote, supreme court, election, etc) to try and stop this bill the correct/right/traditional way and failed? Republicans look like idiots right now and are too dumb to know it. They're fighting and bickering with each outing. They're having to resort to absurd hostage taking which is going to hurt more than help in the end..

Old 10-01-2013, 01:38 AM

3,040 posts, read 2,578,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Common Anomaly View Post
Republicans are officially radicals....taking the uninsured hostage and shutting down the government.

And AGAIN,

The DEMOCRATS shut it down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
It's already a law. They already lost the fight and are now resorting to childish antics. There's nothing to compromise about.
Amazing.

But the law is that Congress MAY NOT INFRINGE on my right to keep and bear arms.

And you think I should compromise on that.

I think you say whatever pops into your head, and you will say anything, even if it's the precise opposite of what you said yesterday... As long as it is in defense of government controls over people.

4,818 posts, read 11,003,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
Yes. If you already have employee-based insurance of if you are on Medicare or Medicaid, nothing will change. If you are a single person making less than $46,000 or a family of four making less than $94,000 nad you don't have insurance, your premiums will be partially or wholly tax refundable. In their obfuscating measures, what the Republicans have tried to do for like the 44th time is block the law's implementation by disingenuously lumping low-paid staffers in with Congresspeople and Senators in an exemption from the subsidies by claiming that they are moving for equality by treating government workers the same as everyone else. That is not in fact, the case, because "everyone else" gets subsidies based on income level.

ACA is law: let it go through and then let us revise it as problems arise, which has been the case with Medicare, Medicaid, Welfare, and SNAP. Have such revisions satisfied everyone? Of course not. But once legislation has passed, withstood a general election, SCOTUS scrutiny, and more than 40 efforts to repeal it that have cost a pretty penny, it is time to stop beating the dead horse. Let the legislation go through, let us see how it works, and then let us see what needs changing.

Why should Democrats negotiate? The House has offered nothing but obfuscation, and it itself has refused to negotiate for at least six months, depending on how you define such refusals. Why should the Democrats reward their intransigence? The Republicans have offered no concessions whatsoever, and, it's important to note, losing in and of itself is not a concession. It's a loss.
If the new healthcare law is so horrible I would think the far right would love to let it go through as they believe it will so disastrous. That way more voters will come to them during the next election. If I was them I would let it slide and see the consequences. But doing this doesnt in my opinion make them look good and a bit on the fringe radical side.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
Do you understand that this law was voted on not to long ago and way passed? Do you understand that Republicans had several opportunities (vote, supreme court, election, etc) to try and stop this bill the correct/right/traditional way and failed? Republicans look like idiots right now and are too dumb to know it. They're fighting and bickering with each outing. They're having to resort to absurd hostage taking which is going to hurt more than help in the end..
The "correct" way is to do whatever process gets them the result they want. After all, that's how Obamacare was passed.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:39 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,787,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Common Anomaly View Post

Yep, they want all minorities enslaved, women in the kitchen, want all the sick to die, want to imprison all the gays, and want to start wars both here and abroad.

Yep, they're the radicals

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
The "correct" way is to do whatever process gets them the result they want. After all, that's how Obamacare was passed.
Shhhh, stop injecting logic. I want to see how stupid this can actually get. I'm waiting for someone to say the Republicans will be thuging through the streets killing liberals first born sons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies