Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2013, 10:18 AM

7,891 posts, read 9,094,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Many people are barely making it, so creating a six month emergency slush fund is simply not possible. Ask Republican Congressman Lee Terry of Nevada, who told the Omaha World Herald that he “cannot handle” giving up his shutdown-earned paycheck. “I’ve got a nice house and a kid in college, and I’ll tell you we cannot handle it."

So by your own definition, this guy isn't fiscally responsible enough to be making policy for other Americans, right?
I'd say the vast majority of current politicians of BOTH parties are not responsible enough to be making policy.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:24 AM

11,011 posts, read 10,978,816 times
Quote:
Many people are barely making it, so creating a six month emergency slush fund is simply not possible. Ask Republican Congressman Lee Terry of Nevada, who told the Omaha World Herald that he “cannot handle” giving up his shutdown-earned paycheck. “I’ve got a nice house and a kid in college, and I’ll tell you we cannot handle it."

So by your own definition, this guy isn't fiscally responsible enough to be making policy for other Americans, right?
Have they even missed a paycheck yet? I know in the military we were paid every two weeks. So the likelihood is that they haven't even missed pay so what's the whole drama about not being able to pay bills now? I could see if it had already been a while but seriously , it's been less than a week.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:25 AM

17,346 posts, read 9,166,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Obviously some people are unaware of the facts of the "paid vacations", but that is likely due to limited source(s) of info. However, perhaps something will come of this effort ...

House Democrats Unveil Discharge Petition To Force End To Shutdown
It's true that those 800,000 Federal workers have to be "on call" in case they are called in to work - which is a lot different than a "vacation" ...... on the other hand, the facts are they are NOT working AND they ARE getting full salary. They are sorta like the abusive Teachers that spend their days in a room watching TV and playing games because the Unions won't allow them to be fired. They still draw a full paycheck even though many of them have not "worked" in years.

About this new gambit called the Discharge Petition. They can't legally use the Senate passed CR for the Discharge Petition - they need 30 days to do that ...... so they care going to CHEAT, just the way they did on the ACA (ObamaCare) Bill. Reid took a Bill and stripped the language, he then inserted the entire ACA and rammed it through the Senate - it was the only way he could pass it. Pelosi took it and used Budget Authority Continuing Resolution to get it into law. Nobody read the thing - that's why they twist themselves into knots now to try and make it work.

Quote:
Dems plan discharge petition to force vote on ending shutdown - The Hill
The Democrats had initially thought the discharge petition option was unavailable, because a bill must be at least 30 legislative days old before it can be subject to such a drive. But the Democrats have located a GOP bill introduced in March that serves the same purpose as the Senate-passed CR.
Sponsored by Rep. James Lankford (Okla.), head of the Republican Policy Committee, the bill would create "an automatic CR for any regular appropriations bill not completed before the end of the fiscal year," according to Lankford's release.
The Democrats don't intend to pass the Lankford bill, but just to use it as a vehicle to pass the Senate's CR.
"We will have a complete substitute for that language which will be a clean continuing resolution to open up the government,"
Miller said.
The Democrats would never intend to pass H.R. 1164: Government Shutdown Prevention Act ..... BUT, it sounds like it might be a very reasonable Act if it were passed as written. It provides for automatic Continuing Resolutions with mandated percentages on whatever Budget Bill CR they are attempting to pass. Each CR is for 120 days, they come to a consensus CR or the last one is in effect for another 120 days. No Shutdown allowed. No more Games

Keep in mind - the Democratic plan (put forth by Obama's Chief of Staff) is to take the March House Bill strip out all the language and insert the Harry Reid CR that only lasts until November 15, 2013.

It's a "gambit" ...... it's Cheating. They don't care how they "Win", cheating is perfectly OK. My big question is .... How is this legal? and if it's somehow "legal" to strip an old Bill of all language in the House of Representatives and insert a Senate bill in place of it .... what's the point anymore?

We no longer have a "checks and balances" system. We have Mob rule and cheating.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:28 AM

21,011 posts, read 19,465,518 times
Yes, I do think it is unfair to play favorites. The Congress should be unpaid and uneligible for back-pay during the so-called shutdown. However, shutting down is not the horror that it was hyped up to be. Automotive factories shut down for two weeks every summer to retool the factories. The government shuts down every night, every weekend, and many holidays.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:29 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,335,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Yep. See this thread, and watch the spin and deflection from the loonies:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...-shutdown.html

Most Americans don't even know there is a shut down.
And that is what drives them most crazy. The gov "shut down" and most people didn't even notice. Now hopefully those people will remember that when the democrats campaign on how we have to expand government. Hopefully they'll remember that we don't need government.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapheap View Post
Are Government employees Americans?
Not all of them are. In spite of what liberals are trying to do MOST Americans aren't government employees, or dependent on government.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:31 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,913,868 times
Quote:
It was the president's fault that the House Republicans refused to negotiate?
the obama budget failed in the Senate 99-0. did the Demoncraps in the Senate (and house) REFUSE to negotiate, also?
Seems to me that's where LEADERSHIP comes into play. It appears that obama's definition of LEADERSHIP is "Do it MY way, I will NOT negotiate!"
Again, spin it anyway you want, the fact remains the Shutdown can be laid at the feet of BOTH parties, and the Closures are ALL at the behest of obama and his minions!

Old 10-06-2013, 10:32 AM

17,346 posts, read 9,166,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
You made a statement and you were proven incorrect. Own it instead of trying to clean it up.
You have me mixed up with somebody else . I quoted directly from the Wiki link.
Apparently some other poster said that Obama had not "presented" a Budget - that's wrong, he has "presented" a Budget every year ..... not a single one of them "passed" either house or even got a single vote. My recollection is that the last 3 "Obama presented Budgets" were unanimously rejected (that means not a single House or Senate member of either party voted in favor.

I guess that's means Obama "presents" good and reasonable Budgets to some of you. I suspect that most people, including all members of both the House and Senate - disagree.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:59 AM

4,818 posts, read 10,968,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
7 days of the Obama/Reid shutdown and nobody even notices.

Hang tough GOP!
Thank you I appreciate your concern. You are more than welcome to route what I would normally get paid during this past week and next week that I am working. I will pay you back once I get pay. Sounds like a deal?

Old 10-06-2013, 11:17 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,440,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
My insurance policy is being terminated and the Obamacare calculator said that my policy will increase by $2000.00
Did the government decide to terminate your insurance policy? I'm confused.

Old 10-06-2013, 11:20 AM

29,409 posts, read 21,939,618 times
Nope. Haven't even noticed as most wouldn't unless they turned on the news and heard all the screaming and whining by the liberals to try and scare us all into submission. Obama and co and TRYING to make it effect as many folks as possible, just as they did with the sequester (which is still going on too BTW and we all survived). Basically our government are acting like 8yo children throwing fits. It's fuggin pathetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies