Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2013, 12:19 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times

Advertisements

Between the Syria invasion fiasco and the government shutdown we appear to the world as a bunch of bumbling idiots who are more concerned with party politics then actually governing this country.

The world is watching as we spiral out of control all self made.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:22 PM

534 posts, read 1,169,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
The dems.

Obama is not following the law, he is simply refusing to enforce parts of it, and hand out waivers and subsides at his whim, and treat it like his own personal dictate; which is the way the dems like it... to allow Obama to act as a dictator. The Repubs are trying to address this by actually changing the law.
There's a way to do that: introducing independent legislation. The way they're trying to do it now is by attaching 'conditions' to the annual government spending bill, with those "conditions" being akin to "Dear Mr. President, Please repeal a law that has already passed. In return, we'll do our jobs and approve the annual budget..."

I'm neither a Democrat or a Republican, because I think each party is equally full of sh*^ and has become, effectively, a self-licking ice cream cone: they do nothing but say what voters want to hear and will do whatever it takes to get them re-elected so they can continue to suckle at the power teat. And everyone who automatically toes a party line and refuses to listen to anyone else, preferring to throw barbs at others instead, is also a part of the problem; not the solution.

But it looks to me like the Republicans (at least the ones who are reported to be the 'ringleaders' or whatever) have overstepped themselves in this instance. Imagine what would happen if - every time a law was passed that a given political party didn't like - that party decided to halt deliberation on the next federal budget until they got their way?

Old 10-01-2013, 12:25 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,755,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
I'll just jump in, I'm ashamed of my government. The people we elect to do a job are not doing their job. I guess it could be our fault, then again, they tell us how ready they are for the problems we face. Evidently not. We face a failing two party system where neither party seems to ever want to listen to the other or make any form of sacrifice for the benefit of the people. They are focuses on their own success, not the country's. Bottom line, when faced with a gridlock, rather than trying to find a way out, they just stop. They won't do their job because they couldn't properly do their job. It's sickening. It makes me wish there was a relevant 3rd party even more. Granted, a shutdown could still happen with 3 parties, but at least we'd have a second opinion. Maybe a healthy middle ground.

The people who did this are letting the people they serve down. And they really don't care.
People are addicted to partisan media and my way or the highway thinking.

Ideological purity leads to authoritarianism or at best gridlock. That is what we are seeing. Compromise and the ability to see another person's point of view is what made this country great. I blame it on Fox News, Limbaugh, MSNBC, HuffPo, ThinkProgess and the like. All tend to polarize people and make them feel like victims. We have become a country of crying toddlers who think only of ourselves. I am embarrassed too.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:25 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,939,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrymac View Post
So I'm listen to this idiot Pres. and he said " Just when the economy is gaining traction the Republicans do this"
Really???
This economy sucks way before this shut down Mr. Pres.
Lets get this straight, Obama and the Dems WANT a shut down because they think it helps them.....so they could give a rats a*s about the people just as the he could make the sequester not hurt so much but he WANTED it to hurt.

I have said this many times....he's a sick bas*ard!

You have to be a complete fool to believe anything this dope says but then again he was voted into office again so I guess there are a lot of fools in this country.
If the Democrats do want the shutdown, it is only to prove the GOP has no political power. Soon the GOP will cave and show the World that this last ditch effort sounds the official death knell for the GOP's organized oppostion to the ACA.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:27 PM

2,476 posts, read 2,602,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Sounds a whole lot more like whimpering and whining than laughter.

BTW, it's "listening"

Say what you want but this country is in the "lost decade".

I just wonder how long Obama can blame someone else, I guess till people actually wake up.

Oh and you got me "listen"...

Old 10-01-2013, 12:28 PM

2,476 posts, read 2,602,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
If the Democrats do want the shutdown, it is only to prove the GOP has no political power. Soon the GOP will cave and show the World that this last ditch effort sounds the official death knell for the GOP's organized oppostion to the ACA.
LOL I guess you ass-ume that Dems will always be in power....

Old 10-01-2013, 12:29 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Between the Syria invasion fiasco and the government shutdown we appear to the world as a bunch of bumbling idiots who are more concerned with party politics then actually governing this country.

The world is watching as we spiral out of control all self made.

And we the people (not necessarily you or I so to speak) voted for these knuckleheads, and therefore get the government that we deserve!

Old 10-01-2013, 12:34 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
And we the people (not necessarily you or I so to speak) voted for these knuckleheads, and therefore get the government that we deserve!
And then there's gerrymandering--so we don't necessarily get the government we deserve.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:36 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,755,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
And then there's gerrymandering--so we don't necessarily get the government we deserve.
Yep, another mechanism to ensure that politicians only have to pander to their base.

I hope we have a collective gag reflex from all this partisanship. Like the kid who decides to overindulge on peppermint schnapps and pepperoni pizza. I did this once as a young man, with much vile illness afterwards, and even the smell of a candy cane would give me the dry heaves for months afterwards. One can only hope our congress can learn a similar lesson.

For goodness sake, elect intelligent people who can actually lead and will work for America, not just their corporate sponsors.

Last edited by Fiddlehead; 10-01-2013 at 12:47 PM..

Old 10-01-2013, 12:42 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,894,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Economists will tell you that slowing government spending during a weak economy is a drag on gains and may drive us back into recession.

Perhaps it isn't the President who is the "idiot" and "dope."

As for one having to be a complete fool to have re-elected the President, yeah, we should have elected the plutocrat who cares only about the top 0.1%.
That's if you're a Keynesian and use the Keynesian output equation, C+I+G+Net Exports to measure economic growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies