Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 02:11 PM

77,689 posts, read 59,823,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Estelle Caro Eggleston at the age of 16, she married electrician Noble Herman Stephens on December 1, 1954. They had one child, Herman Andrew Stephens, who would later be known as actor/producer Andrew Stevens. He is Stella's only child. The couple divorced in 1957.

Lucille Wood Smith at age 14, she eloped with her first husband, Thomas F. Fox. She bore one son, Thomas F. Fox, Jr., when she was 15. Divorced in 1929.

Aspirin for birth control? - YouTube

And, what they do in Iran isn't really all that shocking, after all, Afghan men have been bartering and trading wives and daughters for goat herds for eons. That's the custom with third world countries. And, who are we to be telling people of other countries what to do?
Did you really just shrug your shoulders at slavery?

I have no problem with other cultures doing their own thing as long as it doesn't violate basic human rights.

Old 10-02-2013, 02:11 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,354,088 times
Quote:
Estelle Caro Eggleston at the age of 16, she married electrician Noble Herman Stephens on December 1, 1954. They had one child, Herman Andrew Stephens, who would later be known as actor/producer Andrew Stevens. He is Stella's only child. The couple divorced in 1957.

Lucille Wood Smith at age 14, she eloped with her first husband, Thomas F. Fox. She bore one son, Thomas F. Fox, Jr., when she was 15. Divorced in 1929.

Aspirin for birth control? - YouTube

And, what they do in Iran isn't really all that shocking, after all, Afghan men have been bartering and trading wives and daughters for goat herds for eons. That's the custom with third world countries. And, who are we to be telling people of other countries what to do?
Well I guess you have a point there but could you please tell them to reciprocate in kind. We won't go over there and gripe about their child brides if they don't come over here and tell us to accommodate them in all ways under the sun.

Old 10-02-2013, 02:12 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,867,824 times
They call it the Woody Allen bill.

Old 10-02-2013, 02:14 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,716,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Human rights activists say approved bill, making girls vulnerable to the ruling from age 13, 'legalises paedophilia'
Iran lawmakers pass bill allowing men to marry adopted daughters | World news | theguardian.com

Where is the international public outcry against Iran?
In other news, rocker Ted Nugent has announced his plans to move to Iran.

Old 10-02-2013, 02:22 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,906,272 times
Im glad to see the Earth isn't as flat anymore, that we have progressed as a people to denounce "biblical" type marriages.

their is hope for society.

Betty Bowers Explains Traditional Marriage to Everyone Else - YouTube

Old 10-02-2013, 02:28 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,203,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Did you really just shrug your shoulders at slavery?

I have no problem with other cultures doing their own thing as long as it doesn't violate basic human rights.
WTF are you trolling or what? see how that works? I can be as equally repulsive as you.

Oh, when did you become a humanitarian? after you read my post?
I'll say you don't even know who those people were that I named.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Well I guess you have a point there but could you please tell them to reciprocate in kind. We won't go over there and gripe about their child brides if they don't come over here and tell us to accommodate them in all ways under the sun.
They come over here and push their beliefs upon us? I believe the ones that come here were running away from their war torn homelands, and pretty much keep to themselves. I know there's many anti Muslim people using the forum to vent their displeasures when they hear that a Muslim did this or did that.

Old 10-02-2013, 02:29 PM

2,889 posts, read 3,470,931 times
Quote:
Human rights activists say approved bill, making girls vulnerable to the ruling from age 13, 'legalises paedophilia'
Iran lawmakers pass bill allowing men to marry adopted daughters | World news | theguardian.com

Chava, you're probably going to be called out for your bigotry against other cultures by the bleeding heart left wingers. I was just scrolling through the thread about Netanyahu warning that the new Iranian president was a wolf in sheep's clothing. I saw the word "Israhel" and other anti-Israel nonsense. It's sad that a beautiful land with 3,000 years or more of history is run by nutjobs.

Old 10-02-2013, 02:42 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,424,130 times
Quote:
Who cares about this nonsense?

Women don't have it too good in Iran whether they marry at 13 or a bit later. I wish that were different, but I wish a lot of things were different, here as well as abroad.

Old 10-02-2013, 02:46 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,203,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Who cares about this nonsense?

Women don't have it too good in Iran whether they marry at 13 or a bit later. I wish that were different, but I wish a lot of things were different, here as well as abroad.
And we have no way of controlling what they do in Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan or anywhere else in the world.
There are human rights organizations that bring stories like the OP's to the forefront, but that's about as far as it goes.

Where was the UN and NATO when Syrians were being killed? There's car bombings everyday in Iraq, and geez, the world sits idly by letting it go on.

Old 10-02-2013, 02:48 PM

77,689 posts, read 59,823,491 times
Quote:
WTF are you trolling or what? see how that works? I can be as equally repulsive as you.

Oh, when did you become a humanitarian? after you read my post?
I'll say you don't even know who those people were that I named.
I don't care whom they are and I certainly am not trolling.

You specifically wrote that if some guy is selling his daughter to a guy for some goats that's their culture and we shouldn't criticize it.

I disagree because that's slavery and it violates what I consider to be a fundamental human right.

Repulsive? You are defending SLAVERY because it's part of their culture. If you find my objection to slavery repulsive then so be it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies