U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 10-02-2013, 11:55 AM
 
Location: Pluto's Home Town
9,995 posts, read 11,690,961 times
Reputation: 5580

Advertisements

I was listening to a cool show on NPR this morning about Solar Design. John Perlin was discussing his book:

Let It Shine:
The 6000-Year Story of Solar Energy

John Perlin - 6000 Years of Solar Architecture and Technology

I don't endorse the book or author, but what little I heard was interesting. Basically, the Greeks and Romans and Chinese had many innovations in passive solar design, etc., but in Europe, most of these were abandoned during the period after the fall of Rome. It got me thinking about the Dark Ages, when religious dogma ruled, and most other forms of knowledge were sidelined, for 1000 years. Could this happen again? If so, how?

I see hints of this in the ME with radical Islam and Sharia Law. I mean look at Afghanistan. It is for the most part a medieval country. Anywhere else that we are going backwards from exploration and reason to dogma and ignorance?

 
Old 10-02-2013, 12:12 PM
 
Location: Arizona
13,091 posts, read 7,824,974 times
Reputation: 6973
How about America? They say the biggest tree is the first to fall when the woodcutter comes.

Total climate denial
creationism in schoolrooms
attempts at denying religious freedom to different religions
attempts at injecting Christianity into government
suggestions that a person's religion be prominently displayed on their visas
Proudly proclaiming to be part of the "American Taliban" as a signature
Wanting to take away the opportunity for affordable health insurance to millions of Americans
Shutting down the entire government when legislation does not go their way
wanting to dismantle all social contracts the government has with it's citizens
Dismantle social security, medicare, welfare, foods stamps and section 8 housing
The motto "Take Our Country Back" (as if it was ever lost)

I do believe that there is a very real threat that radical American Christianity would return us to a period of the dark ages.
 
Old 10-02-2013, 12:12 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
7,003 posts, read 7,800,549 times
Reputation: 5723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I was listening to a cool show on NPR this morning about Solar Design. John Perlin was discussing his book:

Let It Shine:
The 6000-Year Story of Solar Energy

John Perlin - 6000 Years of Solar Architecture and Technology

I don't endorse the book or author, but what little I heard was interesting. Basically, the Greeks and Romans and Chinese had many innovations in passive solar design, etc., but in Europe, most of these were abandoned during the period after the fall of Rome. It got me thinking about the Dark Ages, when religious dogma ruled, and most other forms of knowledge were sidelined, for 1000 years. Could this happen again? If so, how?

I see hints of this in the ME with radical Islam and Sharia Law. I mean look at Afghanistan. It is for the most part a medieval country. Anywhere else that we are going backwards from exploration and reason to dogma and ignorance?
It's happened throughout history, actually, and not just in societies ruled by religion. Look at the Soviet Union for the majority of the 20th century for a shining example of a society which was so repressed that their innovation nearly disappeared. Any time you have a government which holds the power to make decisions about what knowledge is or is not acceptable, you are going to have a society which is unable to move forward with their technology and/or will lose much of the technology they already have.
 
Old 10-02-2013, 12:26 PM
 
16,284 posts, read 9,131,432 times
Reputation: 6562
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
How about America? They say the biggest tree is the first to fall when the woodcutter comes.

Total climate denial
creationism in schoolrooms
attempts at denying religious freedom to different religions
attempts at injecting Christianity into government
suggestions that a person's religion be prominently displayed on their visas
Proudly proclaiming to be part of the "American Taliban" as a signature
Wanting to take away the opportunity for affordable health insurance to millions of Americans
Shutting down the entire government when legislation does not go their way
wanting to dismantle all social contracts the government has with it's citizens
Dismantle social security, medicare, welfare, foods stamps and section 8 housing
The motto "Take Our Country Back" (as if it was ever lost)

I do believe that there is a very real threat that radical American Christianity would return us to a period of the dark ages.
LOL! a dogmatic post given as an argument against dogmatism?

that was funny!
 
Old 10-02-2013, 01:00 PM
 
8,487 posts, read 5,912,250 times
Reputation: 1114
First thing to note that during the so-called Dark Age. There also was other things happening in the world like this.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byzantine_Empire
 
Old 10-02-2013, 01:06 PM
 
Location: Arizona
13,091 posts, read 7,824,974 times
Reputation: 6973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
LOL! a dogmatic post given as an argument against dogmatism?

that was funny!
Cool You picked up on that, eh?
 
Old 10-02-2013, 01:23 PM
 
2,226 posts, read 1,767,849 times
Reputation: 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
How about America? They say the biggest tree is the first to fall when the woodcutter comes.

Total climate denial
creationism in schoolrooms
attempts at denying religious freedom to different religions
attempts at injecting Christianity into government
suggestions that a person's religion be prominently displayed on their visas
Proudly proclaiming to be part of the "American Taliban" as a signature
Wanting to take away the opportunity for affordable health insurance to millions of Americans
Shutting down the entire government when legislation does not go their way
wanting to dismantle all social contracts the government has with it's citizens
Dismantle social security, medicare, welfare, foods stamps and section 8 housing
The motto "Take Our Country Back" (as if it was ever lost)

I do believe that there is a very real threat that radical American Christianity would return us to a period of the dark ages.
I always ask these people to name just one successful, small government, religious/ conservative, country. I have never gotten a single answer in over 2 years on this site, or others. Amazing.
 
Old 10-02-2013, 01:26 PM
 
17,852 posts, read 19,841,835 times
Reputation: 7498
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sfemi View Post
I always ask these people to name just one successful, small government, religious/ conservative, country. I have never gotten a single answer in over 2 years on this site, or others. Amazing.
Probably because government like power, corrupts absolutely... but we need more of it, right?
 
Old 10-02-2013, 01:32 PM
 
Location: Arizona
13,091 posts, read 7,824,974 times
Reputation: 6973
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Probably because government like power, corrupts absolutely... but we need more of it, right?
If our government became a conservative Christian government, there would be a plethora of new laws regulating society's conduct and action.
 
Old 10-02-2013, 01:34 PM
 
2,226 posts, read 1,767,849 times
Reputation: 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Probably because government like power, corrupts absolutely... but we need more of it, right?
So you can't think of one either......I didn't think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:09 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top