Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 07:08 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,548,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
I have only been here 3 years but what I noticed that is some of the more educated level headed posters have stopped visiting CD. I can name a slew of them from both sides of the aisle but I don't think that is a good idea. I am not learning as much as before but still learning and that makes CD worth my time. Plus it is fun to talk politics with others in the know.
Yeah. Those in the middle who were willing to have a discussion disappear, leaving only those on the far ends of the spectrum to bicker at each other.

Old 10-04-2013, 07:48 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
Yeah. Those in the middle who were willing to have a discussion disappear, leaving only those on the far ends of the spectrum to bicker at each other.
Yes, indeedy! Some of these extreme types are flat impossible to have anything resembling a discussion with. When you try, the vile rhetoric and insults come a'flyin'. Absolutism and and the complete intolerance of disparate views are SOP for a few particular posters here. Especially on P& OC. Certain topics are worse than others for this, as well. Abortion and gun control draws some of the finest people with some of the finest views. Race relations are right up there as well.

Often, the more reasonable one tries to be with these types, the nastier they get. Attempts at calm and reasonable engagement is like blood in the water to some of the more rabid posters. It's good exercise in thoughtful engagement though. Remaining calm in the face of vile invective and such. Personally, I need to be in the right mood for such discourse, though. Not an activity I choose when I'm distracted or in a confrontational state of mind. I've never recieved an infraction, so, I must be doing something right. Lol...

Old 10-04-2013, 08:02 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,284,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
LOL. No attacks on Bush?
Who said that? The scum Bush was criticized for his perfidy, incompetence, and human rights violations on a daily basis. He deserved all he got, and more. I used to laugh at the way such criticism made torture supporting right-wing scum whine and cry like little girls.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:13 AM

7,928 posts, read 9,152,376 times
Back in the day, discussions were more fact filled with links to credible sources. You could actually learn things by reading the forum. Now it is much more opinion based rhetoric. It has become the equivalent of talk radio.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:20 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,554,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
These types of discussion boards have changed dramatically over the last ten years, the tipping point came when Obama was running for the Whitehouse the rhetoric get very nasty and a few discussion boards actually shut down over how nasty things got. There were some Conservatives I used to have very interesting discussions with, a few are still here today, but since those days too much was said and too much water has gone under the bridge to go back and be what we were in those days. People wonder why some of the more moderate posters became more unfriendly in their dealings with the Cons and the answer is simple, when someone is personally attacked over and over because of their opinion a person losses their tolerance for the more extreme posters here. Now most rational people try and give what they recieve, be civil and they will be civil, be an arse and people will treat you like one, unfortunately that reduces the actual discussion that takes place on this and other boards, a sad thing.
Funny how, from your above statement, it is only the conservatives who attack and became less civil.

Perhaps it is your attitude and lack of a willingness to listen to other points of view that contribute to this alleged phenomenon. Or your own lack of civility.

After all, accusing others of your own actions is a true progressive tactic.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:29 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,728,879 times
I see a difference. I don't remember Bush or Clinton attacking Americans who didn't agree with them. Obama has no qualms slinging mud far and wide. He is kinder to Iran and Syria than to Americans who disagree with him. And his staff is downright nasty to other people.
The lack of decorum at the top works it's way down.
I'm hoping the next president, no matter which party, is not petty and vindictive like Obama.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:33 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,554,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
Who said that? The scum Bush was criticized for his perfidy, incompetence, and human rights violations on a daily basis. He deserved all he got, and more. I used to laugh at the way such criticism made torture supporting right-wing scum whine and cry like little girls.
From such a statement, it would appear that you feel Obama deserves zero criticism for anything that he has said or done.

With a mindset such as that it is no wonder that those such as you fail to see what is in front of you or at the very least refuse to recognize it.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:34 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
I see a difference. I don't remember Bush or Clinton attacking Americans who didn't agree with them. Obama has no qualms slinging mud far and wide. He is kinder to Iran and Syria than to Americans who disagree with him. And his staff is downright nasty to other people.
The lack of decorum at the top works it's way down.
I'm hoping the next president, no matter which party, is not petty and vindictive like Obama.
Ahh, the new right wing talking point.

I see ALL black and white thinking on this board so I respond in kind.

There are a few posters who attempt to see all 8 sides of every story and I appreciate them a great deal.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:37 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,705,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
This puts into perspective the claim that anti-Bush rhetoric was just as bad as the current anti-Obama vitriol that is spewed in every corner of the Internet 24/7/365.

It was not. Not by a long shot.
I don't know about that....Bush was hated so much that to punish the nation for electing him.....they elected a black man...lol....OUCH!

Old 10-04-2013, 08:44 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,935,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Funny how, from your above statement, it is only the conservatives who attack and became less civil.

Perhaps it is your attitude and lack of a willingness to listen to other points of view that contribute to this alleged phenomenon. Or your own lack of civility.

After all, accusing others of your own actions is a true progressive tactic.
I never stated that only the cons attack others, but my experience has shown me that they are the ones that resort to being less civil quicker and more often, heck this discussion board is all the evidence anyone needs, that is if they truely have an open mind.
I am more than willing to listen to the opinions of others, including those I disagree with, otherwise there would be little discuss here. Do I sometimes use the same tactics that some use on me and others, sure I do, I learned long ago that some here are not here to discuss anything, their only function is to whine about what they disagree with and attack anyone that dares question them and they deserve no respect, since respect is an earned quality. That said there are still some cons here that I have no problem discussing the issues with even when we disagree completely on an issue, they are the ones that can keep it at an adult level and civil, with me, ones reaps what they sow, be civil and I will return the favor, act like an arse and you will get the respect you deserve. Try to keep in mind that very few people are 100% conservative or liberal in their personal POV, and that while a person may be someone on the other side of one issue may be the same person defending your own POV on another issue, I have been in the position on more than one occasion and I would say that has happened to almost everyone here. One truely knows who those who are so Partisan they have given up rational discussion and thought when someone you may have disagreed with on several other issues attacks you even when youi agree with their opinion, that is the hatred working overtime.
You seem confused I was not atcually attacking anyone in my post what I did do was point out the truth which I have come to believe through years of posting on sites such as this, whether you agree with it or not is your choice and your right, it does not change what has happened. Both sides have their issues, I thought the Libs went a little too far during the Bush years but then again I have seen the cons go even further overboard during the current Obama years, neither excuses ones own actions, saying that it is ok because the other guy said the same sort of stuff only means you are little different from them. As one poster suggested it is up to all of us to try and start over and try and bring the overall level of discussions back to civil and adult levels, I have seen this tried many times and sometimes it works for a while, but so long as the board has members that are only here to disrupt the discussions there is only so much that can be done.
Want to discuss issues with me be my guest I will return the respect I recieve, want to play nasty then that is what you will get, I learned the lessons taught me by the far right long ago and have no problem getting my hands dirty if need be. Life is full of choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies