Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2013, 12:42 PM

502 posts, read 715,757 times

Advertisements

I am more proud than ever that I voted for Gary Johnson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 12:45 PM

5,724 posts, read 3,239,928 times
probably not because this is the generation that cannot think for themselves and believes that society knows whats best for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
It was fairly obvious in the 2012 party conventions that the GOP was largely white and grey, in comparison to the Dems. I seem to recall there being some soul searching for a few hours afterwards, about how to expand the GOP tent.

Young voters. How do you feel about this shutdown and health care stand off? Just curious if Ted Cruz i& Co. are winning hearts and minds....

Old 10-04-2013, 01:07 PM

11,684 posts, read 5,709,156 times
Wish I could get my son to come on here but he has his own political forums he's on. He's 30 yrs old and registered Republican but says he and most of his buddies have the views of liberaterians. He thinks both parties are shooting themselves in the foot but they have a bit more contempt for Obama, who they feel is a real scumbag. He's not a fan of Fox News but feels they provide the least biased news reports.

Old 10-04-2013, 01:09 PM

11,684 posts, read 5,709,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fightforlove View Post
I am more proud than ever that I voted for Gary Johnson.

Everyone in our house voted for Johnson - 2 dems and 2 republicans. If people would just vote their convictions instead of party lines or feeling that they're throwing their vote away - we may get rid of the standard 2 party system.

Old 10-04-2013, 01:10 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,691,740 times
The one big advantage Liberal Democrats have is better marketing. They are portrayed in the media as heros,people who care about the poor and understand young people and minorities who are fighting against corporate tyranny. By contrast they portray conservatives either as rich old, evil white men who want don't care about poor people and oppress minorities, or as uneducated white trash racists.

They also have more support in the media from celebrities and whatnot (you rarely see openly conservative or christian celebs) . The media is the biggest advantage that Democrats have, it appeals exclusively to younger voters who do not have the understanding to think for themselves yet. They see being liberal as "cool " because that's how it's being marketed to them by the media. They don't really have a good understanding of the issues facing our country. They get their "news " from the likes of Jon Stewart and Colbert. While both shows pretend to be "just comedy ", and they do poke fun at both sides, the poking is 90% at conservatives and pushes liberal view points onto an audience of naive 20 year olds.

As conservatives, we really need to do something about this. I can guarantee you that Hilary will win the next election (our biggest fear) because the media will market her as a hero of woman's suffering and her conservative opponent will be portrayed as against women and selfish racist. Conservatives need a bigger presence in the media, FOX News is not the good enough nor is it the answer. And it's not just news outlets,it's also regular TV sitcoms such as Family Guy, SNL, Degrassi etc... It's everywhere and young people just eat it up without knowing any better. They lack critical-thinking.

Old 10-04-2013, 01:15 PM

30,421 posts, read 20,267,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
To the college students that post here:

Brainwashed? You guys march in lockstep with the President, Congress, federal bureaucrats, your professors, the news media, your union bosses and if you are in your 20s and still living at home, your parents.

Some actor or actress who makes their living reading words that a writer tells them to say, moves when a director tells them to move and even has someone else dress them is selling you on the wonders of the President's programs. When they aren't doing that, these Hollywood brainiacs are testifying in front of Congress as "experts" on foreign and domestic affairs.

The President is mesmerizing you to sign up for Obamacare so you pay for old geezers like me who go to the doctor a lot. It doesn't work unless you guys pony up for Obamacare. He's running up the debt to saddle you with a tremendous financial burden long after he's out of office. He wants to legalize all of these poor people coming into this country that you will eventually support/subsidize with your taxes. He grants waivers to all of these big corporations, organizations like AARP, unions and your Congressional Democrat leaders after they all sold you a bill of goods on the fabulousness of Obamacare. Apparently, it's good for you but not for them...or him and his family.

He wants more of you to go to college so his Democrats have someone's wealth to redistribute long after old folks like me are gone. There aren't enough rich people in the world to cover all of his programs. You college students will be the new "rich people" when everyone else is sucking off the government teat. He cons you into buying electric cars made by Obama big donors when he promised under him electricity costs would skyrocket. Why on earth would you want one if it's going to cost you a lot of money to have one. He shuts down the coal industry to make sure that happens because he apparently thinks electricity grows on trees. Wind farms are in until they're placed in some Democrat politician's neighborhood. When small businesses are screwed like with environmental regulations or rising gasoline costs, why does no politician ever explain to the American people about pass down costs in everything you purchase?

I realize the parents you live with and professors who can't actually do anything but teach are holding your hand until some of you are 26, and you're okay with being treated children so you don't mind it when the government treats you like children, but eventually you are going to shoulder the burden created for you and you are going to be in for a big effing shock after being babied for so long. "Who is that guy FICA and why is he taking so much of my paycheck?", you'll say.

Did you ever notice where all of those "great minds" that advise him go when they no longer want to advise the White House? They go crawling back to their universities where they don't have to actually be responsible for DOING the things they touted in their advisory capacity. Apparently tying shoelaces is a lot harder than teaching it or doing reseach on it.

Why is the government bailing out big corporations? Why is drilling in the Gulf bad for the US but it's okay if that exact same drilling is done by Brazil with US money? Why is a 2,000 page bill okay not to read or understand? (Hint: Lawyers are one the biggest Democrat donors and most Congress people are lawyers).

And while we're talking about the budget, why in the first two years of the Obama presidency, when they controlled the House, the Senate and the White House, did the Democrats fail to produce a budget? Ask your professors that one.

Wake up!
Bravo!

You are absolutely right. Most young people don't think five years into their future, let alone ten, fifteen or twenty.

Most have not a clue about how anything gets paid for. They don't know how a product get's to market, and what is involved in creating it. They have no respect for entrepreneurs like Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak, the founders of Apple. They have no respect for people like Bill Gates (a die hard liberal, unfortunately; yet, still a good example of American entrepreneurship).

They think that when conservatives talk about hard work and personal responsibility, they are just uttering "right wing rhetoric." They don't believe in work (Occupy Wallstreet). But dedication to ones work is the only think that moves anybody into the middle class (or higher).

They don't understand that Leftist policies, so called "Progressive" policies, are making it harder for them to ever become wealthy, or even middle class.

They need to understand that those policies they support are moving America back into the dark ages of serfdom, where there is the ruling elite, and then the rest.

They need to understand that America began as a set of ideas. No people in history had been given the opportunity to "re-invent" (to use a favorite leftist term) government. Our founders truely had the opportunity handed to them, to start over, and to build a new kind of country, based on the thinking of people like John Locke, and also the teachings of great men like John Calvin. This truly was the "New World." It is the reason so many flocked here, to escape oppression.

One day, they may understand. But it will be too late, if we continue down this path.

Old 10-04-2013, 01:23 PM

600 posts, read 658,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Wish I could get my son to come on here but he has his own political forums he's on. He's 30 yrs old and registered Republican but says he and most of his buddies have the views of liberaterians. He thinks both parties are shooting themselves in the foot but they have a bit more contempt for Obama, who they feel is a real scumbag. He's not a fan of Fox News but feels they provide the least biased news reports.

i wonder how diverse is your son's group of 'friends'

Old 10-04-2013, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool85 View Post
Of course not.

Republicans have given themselves such a venomous reputation, that only out of touch middle aged and older people would ever consider voting for them.

Honestly, even the most delusional Republicans must feel a little queasy when they ponder the future of the party. Every demographic is voting for Democrats more and more. Apparently the 2012 election was in the bag for the Republicans (so they said) and look what happened. They didn't even come close.

Even Republicans come to know, at some point, that they are in danger.
Are you serious? What do you call things Harry Reid is saying? Angelic?

Your comment is totally without any substance.

What point is there for you people to post this kind of nonsense, when nobody believes it but you? You are wasting your time.

Old 10-04-2013, 01:28 PM

295 posts, read 358,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
My god you people have a hard time not thinking literally. Can anyone actually address the point behind the quote instead of dissecting the source. Don't you understand that people use quotes as analogies? I didn't think that was necessarily something that needed to be spelled out.
"If I were alive today, I don't think I could be a Republican. The folks toting the brand these days are nuttier than Nancy when she's reading her astrology tables".

-Ronald W. Reagan

Old 10-04-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
The GOP establishment decided after the 2012 election that they need to do a better job at outreaching. The GOP base decided that they needed to turn the crazy up to 11.

It's obvious who's winning the debate inside the GOP.
Is it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies