Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 04:52 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,717,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And as they get older they move to SNAP and free breakfast/lunch/snack in the schools.

Pretty sad that 1/2 of the kids growing up today are doing it via welfare benefits.
What type of adults do you think they will turn into ?

And the numbers will only get worse over time.
The poor are 3x as likely to have kids than people with money.
School lunches have been subsidized for years. Unless you are super old you ate a lunch or carton of milk the gubbermint paid part of. The difference back then is there was no means testing. Your whole lunch cost 25cents. I would like to see where the poor are three times as likely to have kids as people with money and what year that study was from. One city I know about Tucson has 13,000 fewer kids in school now than 12 years ago. Go to the Walmart in the Hispanic part of town and you wont see very many women pregnant with 2-3 kids. That was normal 10 years ago, not today. More kids were born in 1954 than were born last year. I live in a neighborhood with 169 homes that had lots of kids 40 years ago. Today we have one kid. 52 tricker treaters years ago. Will be lucky to have 11 this year, some years none..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 05:05 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,261,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
School lunches have been subsidized for years. Unless you are super old you ate a lunch or carton of milk the gubbermint paid part of. The difference back then is there was no means testing. Your whole lunch cost 25cents. I would like to see where the poor are three times as likely to have kids as people with money and what year that study was from. One city I know about Tucson has 13,000 fewer kids in school now than 12 years ago. Go to the Walmart in the Hispanic part of town and you wont see very many women pregnant with 2-3 kids. That was normal 10 years ago, not today. More kids were born in 1954 than were born last year. I live in a neighborhood with 169 homes that had lots of kids 40 years ago. Today we have one kid. 52 tricker treaters years ago. Will be lucky to have 11 this year, some years none..
The data is from the US census.

"The 1996 Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act (PRWORA) gave states greater flexibility to formulate and implement initiatives to reduce welfare dependency and encourage employment for members of low-income families with children. For the nation, in 2006, 10 years after passage of the Act, the birth rate for women 15 to 50 years old receiving public assistance income in the last 12 months was 155 births per 1,000 women, about three times the rate for women not receiving public assistance (53 births per 1,000 women)."

US Census Bureau

"For the nation, the birth rate for women receiving public assistance was 160 births per 1,000 women, almost three times the rate for women not receiving public assistance (56 births per 1,000 women)."

US Census Bureau

Old 10-03-2013, 05:17 PM

215 posts, read 297,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
The birth rate is at historic low rates for whites, Hispanics and blacks. So what if someone with low income gets some cheese and milk? The total food program of school lunches, snap, and wic is about 87 billion. People like to complain about some young person getting a break but if its a senior citizen on snap or eating a subsidized lunch at the senior center there is nothing wrong with that..
Do liberals hate the elderly?

The elderly worked and paid into the system their entire lives. They are the reason you have the freedom to sit on your behind and type stupid things. They can no longer work to support themselves.

Perhaps men could be men again and actually pay for their own food for their babies instead of expecting Uncle Sugar to pay for it.

Under Obamacare, you're children until you turn 27-years-old.

Children should not have babies they can't support.

With Obamacare, younger and healthier men who are not carried by their parents on insurance will be paying the most in premiums for the least amount of medical services. Good! You wanted Obama, and you will pay for his policies.

Old 10-03-2013, 05:27 PM

82 posts, read 48,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
WIC support for moms, babies threatened during shutdown - CBS News

This is disturbing. Why are so many people having babies they can't support?
As the gap widens you will see more of this. The rich for now cant let everyone else die of hunger. As there are less and less middle class every year this will continue.

Old 10-03-2013, 05:28 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,820,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapheap View Post
As the gap widens you will see more of this. The rich for now cant let everyone else die of hunger. As there are less and less middle class every year this will continue.
How many people die of hunger in the US again? Especially now with the historic low cost of food.

Old 10-03-2013, 05:37 PM

82 posts, read 48,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
How many people die of hunger in the US again? Especially now with the historic low cost of food.
Not yet but someday when the rich have 100% instead of 99% many will. It has happened before. Some are trying to return to the days of peasants and kings.

Old 10-03-2013, 05:41 PM

2,502 posts, read 4,435,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
The wealthier have to pay their own way. That, and education. Education being the main factor.
Those reasons are the excuses, but the truth is more likely that the wealthier are also selfish. Instead of raising 5 kids, they raise 1 so they will have more money for a big house, newer and bigger SUVs, and more exotic vacations.

The old days you had 3 or 4 kids, public school, 1 car, a 3 bedroom 1500 square foot house, and vacations were drives top the closest beach. Now someone living that life is considered deprived.

These days the wealthier covet more material things and have traded them for kids. We have seen this trend before in history - this won't end well for the wealthy.

Sent from my SPH-M950 using Tapatalk 2

Old 10-03-2013, 05:43 PM

215 posts, read 297,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Same reason they always have. Pregnancy happens, birth control fails, don't believe in abortion, circumstances change, people lose jobs, divorce, plain ol' irresponsibility and ignorance.

Of all the things your tax dollars go for WIC is what chaps your butt. WIC vouchers pay for formula and particular foods, its a supplement to help insure proper nutrition for those needing some financial assistance.

I received WIC back in 1980 while I was out of work for obvious reasons (4 weeks paid leave the rest was unpaid) and my husband got a temporary lay off from his job at the time. The formula then was about 8 dollars a can, I think it is over 20 now. I don't think we caused the collapse of the economy and have since paid in way more to the system than we used.

Do you want your $3 back?
The reason this annoys the OP probably has a lot to do with whether as a woman you wanted children more than anything, but you waited until you met the right man to marry. Or as a couple you planned the number of children you have based on the number of children you could afford. Then you have to be aware that you're paying in taxes for someone else to have her own baby. It can be a painful realization. Crack head mom gets a baby paid for, and I don't get one?

I would have never known where or how to apply for WIC when I was a teenager.

Some people seem to know all about where and how to get government tax funded benefits like WIC.

It's also probably a personality trait, where some people plan more than others. And some people don't plan at all. The universe just seems to take care of those types of people, and it is pretty annoying.

And also, based on past experiences, the babies of the mothers who are on WIC usually grow into menaces to society, end up making more WIC babies of their own, and end up in jail. So it isn't just about $3 that I spent on WIC. It's about how much more I spent over the lifespan for the other social services the grown WIC baby required. My bet is that total was more than $3.

It's like the prodigal son from the Bible. The father did not judge the prodigal son for spending his inheritance and welcomed him back with a huge party. The brother was resentful for being by the father's side. The father said to him, he could have had a party too if only he would have asked.

It's not healthy to be resentful over the innocent babies and children who could benefit from WIC. It seems that we are rewarding and reinforcing bad choices and behavior.

Old 10-03-2013, 06:01 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,261,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Those reasons are the excuses, but the truth is more likely that the wealthier are also selfish. Instead of raising 5 kids, they raise 1 so they will have more money for a big house, newer and bigger SUVs, and more exotic vacations.

The old days you had 3 or 4 kids, public school, 1 car, a 3 bedroom 1500 square foot house, and vacations were drives top the closest beach. Now someone living that life is considered deprived.

These days the wealthier covet more material things and have traded them for kids. We have seen this trend before in history - this won't end well for the wealthy.

Sent from my SPH-M950 using Tapatalk 2
I wouldn't say excuses. If a woman is in school she isn't going to be pregnant most likely and the time in school decreases time that she could be pregnant. Good public schools are going to be in the more expensive neighborhoods and that's only if you don't have to fork over $30K for private school. University education costs money as does retirement and health insurance; child support is also quite expensive in the states. Once you add up all the factors it is just a matter of being responsible. The poor can afford to to be irresponsible, wealthier cannot.

Ironically, you see the exact opposite happening in Russia. Most of the wealthier would have 2 kids and people with 3 were considered to be doing very well. The poor however, did not have large families.

Old 10-03-2013, 06:03 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,820,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapheap View Post
Not yet but someday when the rich have 100% instead of 99% many will. It has happened before. Some are trying to return to the days of peasants and kings.
When you think you have heard it all...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies