Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2013, 07:14 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
he seems lost.. You can't compare slavery to New England. NE is resources rich and has higher education and always has..... What didn't have was flat farm land... So we white's made it.

What ever he was taught is wrong.... pretty upsetting to discover this.
Ahem....again

The effects of the New England slave trade were momentous. It was one of the foundations of New England's economic structure; it created a wealthy class of slave-trading merchants, while the profits derived from this commerce stimulated cultural development and philanthropy. --Lorenzo Johnston Greene, “The Negro in Colonial New England, 1620-1776,” p.319.

....On the eve of the Revolution, the slave trade “formed the very basis of the economic life of New England.”[2] It wove itself into the entire regional economy of New England. The Massachusetts slave trade gave work to coopers, tanners, sailmakers, and ropemakers. Countless agents, insurers, lawyers, clerks, and scriveners handled the paperwork for slave merchants. Upper New England loggers, Grand Banks fishermen, and livestock farmers provided the raw materials shipped to the West Indies on that leg of the slave trade. Colonial newspapers drew much of their income from advertisements of slaves for sale or hire. New England-made rum, trinkets, and bar iron were exchanged for slaves. When the British in 1763 proposed a tax on sugar and molasses, Massachusetts merchants pointed out that these were staples of the slave trade, and the loss of that would throw 5,000 seamen out of work in the colony and idle almost 700 ships......

Northern Profits from Slavery

The problem is....too many people do not know history and hence attack people who do. Hey...and after you read this....do not go ghost on us is shame that you did not know this but be the better man acknowledging that you have been EDUCATED
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 07:26 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Ahem....

The effects of the New England slave trade were momentous. It was one of the foundations of New England's economic structure; it created a wealthy class of slave-trading merchants, while the profits derived from this commerce stimulated cultural development and philanthropy. --Lorenzo Johnston Greene, “The Negro in Colonial New England, 1620-1776,” p.319.

....On the eve of the Revolution, the slave trade “formed the very basis of the economic life of New England.”[2] It wove itself into the entire regional economy of New England. The Massachusetts slave trade gave work to coopers, tanners, sailmakers, and ropemakers. Countless agents, insurers, lawyers, clerks, and scriveners handled the paperwork for slave merchants. Upper New England loggers, Grand Banks fishermen, and livestock farmers provided the raw materials shipped to the West Indies on that leg of the slave trade. Colonial newspapers drew much of their income from advertisements of slaves for sale or hire. New England-made rum, trinkets, and bar iron were exchanged for slaves. When the British in 1763 proposed a tax on sugar and molasses, Massachusetts merchants pointed out that these were staples of the slave trade, and the loss of that would throw 5,000 seamen out of work in the colony and idle almost 700 ships......

Northern Profits from Slavery

The problem is....too many people do not know history and hence attack people who do.
And there we have it......
Dates again. it;s all about your dates....... I see that last date is 1776 . What would suggest New England under the rule of English LAW should have done about slavery in 1776?

The USA was either under English Law until the Rev war was won No? Then it took a few days to iron out the CONS and other law and get these ratified and become a nation in 1789.

Have no ability to reason?

Next it was perfectly legal to buy sell and own slaves at that time. Every country that wanted slaves could and did and slaves were living in your all white England too and had been for hundreds of years why is it we hear no whine from English blacks for the cry to freedom of slavery which only happened 15 years before.

And you wouldn't even have been able to search that info you just found had i not spoon fed it to you.

Here this is what you are looking for.
amistad slave ship

https://www.google.com/search?q=shru...=isch&imgdii=_

Just when were you a slave last? What do you want? Your becoming boring trying to sneak up on New England in you way.

In the USA slavery lasted 76 years. It's nearing twice that in time now. What do you want? You won't cut it as a history teacher that much is certain.

Your math is no better. You have no idea of USA history none of slavery and you have no clue who you are or where you came from.

Slavery became legal because BLACKS made it so.... Blacks sold Blacks... Just like blacks shoot blacks in chicago..

148 years has past since slavery was abolished. The last living freed slave died in the 1960's so far as the world knows what do you want? What ever it is go get that job. just avoid teaching because your no good at it.

Your BS on the topic is childish boring and just plain stupid. Who cares what you want. Get a job just like anyone else. In case you didn't notice there is a black man as president, he is no good at it either, but you can have your chance to try..... Ol Whitey ain't keepin you down no more...

Old 10-04-2013, 07:33 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
I'd be surprised if it were even .5% before 1950, actually.

VT: (as of 2005)
Black: .9%
Hispanic: 1.02%

NH:
Black: 1.1%
Hispanic: 2.8%

ME:
Black: 1.02%
Hispanic: .9%

Interesting that ME and VT are the inverse of each other.....again, small populations here:

ME: 1.3 million
VT: 625,000
NH: 1.3 million
Let's work with 2012 numbers:

Blacks

VT: 2%

NH: 2%

ME: 2%

No, not a lot, but a difference in 7 years. I'm too lazy to look up the Hispanics for those states...but I did provide a link, earlier.

Old 10-04-2013, 07:34 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
And there we have it......
Dates again. it;s all about your dates....... I see that last date is 1776 . What would suggest New England under the rule of English LAW should have done about slavery in 1776?

The USA was either under English Law until the Rev war was won No? Then it took a few days to iron out the CONS and other law and get these ratified and become a nation in 1789.

Have no ability to reason?

Next it was perfectly legal to buy sell and own slaves at that time. Every country that wanted slaves could and did and slaves were living in your all white England too and had been for hundreds of years why is it we hear no whine from English blacks for the cry to freedom of slavery which only happened 15 years before.

And you wouldn't even have been able to search that info you just found had i not spoon fed it to you.

Here this is what you are looking for.
amistad slave ship

https://www.google.com/search?q=shru...=isch&imgdii=_

Just when were you a slave last? What do you want? Your becoming boring trying to sneak up on New England in you way.

In the USA slavery lasted 76 years. It's nearing twice that in time now. What do you want? You won't cut it as a history teacher that much is certain.

Your math is no better. You have no idea of USA history none of slavery and you have no clue who you are or where you came from.

Slavery became legal because BLACKS made it so.... Blacks sold Blacks... Just like blacks shoot blacks in chicago..

148 years has past since slavery was abolished. The last living freed slave died in the 1960's so far as the world knows what do you want? What ever it is go get that job. just avoid teaching because your no good at it.

Your BS on the topic is childish boring and just plain stupid. Who cares what you want. Get a job just like anyone else. In case you didn't notice there is a black man as president, he is no good at it either, but you can have your chance to try..... Ol Whitey ain't keepin you down no more...

Well....you were lamenting about how "the white man" built New England independent of slavery, like the South. I just called BS with the FACTS. Whatever New England became post 1776....it was BEGET, in large degree, from slavery profits. If you did not know about New England's history with slavery with slavery I am sure that you cannot offer me any knowledge that I have all not integrated into my opinions.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 10-04-2013 at 07:49 PM..

Old 10-04-2013, 07:40 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,859,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Let's work with 2012 numbers:

Blacks

VT: 2%

NH: 2%

ME: 2%

No, not a lot, but a difference in 7 years. I'm too lazy to look up the Hispanics for those states...but I did provide a link, earlier.
Actually, my numbers for NH and ME were from 2010. VT was the only one from 2005. I find it almost impossible to believe that NH and ME's black population doubled in 2 years....?

Old 10-04-2013, 07:53 PM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Race was mentioned here. There is one thing. Look at West Virginia. This is a very White state. However, it ranks very low in education, health, and a very high poverty rate. It also has severe environmental issues in some places. Kentucky has a White population around 86%. It is very poor, it has been ranked low education rankings in many years(however, from what I've heard, it has gotten better), high obesity, ranks among the top ten in smoking. I don't think race has everything to do with this.

Old 10-04-2013, 07:55 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Quote:
Actually, my numbers for NH and ME were from 2010. VT was the only one from 2005. I find it almost impossible to believe that NH and ME's black population doubled in 2 years....?
Somalian refugees are getting dumped here by non-profits. They're a bit troublesome...

Old 10-04-2013, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Somalian refugees are getting dumped here by non-profits. They're a bit troublesome...
Proof of this??? This is the first I'm hearing of that.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:07 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Quote:
Proof of this??? This is the first I'm hearing of that.
Somali refugee reflects on calling Vt. home | Vermont - WPTZ Home

Old 10-04-2013, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Race was mentioned here. There is one thing. Look at West Virginia. This is a very White state. However, it ranks very low in education, health, and a very high poverty rate. It also has severe environmental issues in some places. Kentucky has a White population around 86%. It is very poor, it has been ranked low education rankings in many years(however, from what I've heard, it has gotten better), high obesity, ranks among the top ten in smoking. I don't think race has everything to do with this.

True.

But, there are a lot of differences between New England and WV and KY.

Both WV and KY are essentially rural states, with major industries of the low-wage variety (Coal and Ag in KY, and Coal in WV). Both are beautiful states, and there are a LOT of health issues in both of those states. It's a vicious cycle of poverty, poor health, and poor education, and it's a tough one to break.

You're right, race doesn't have everything to do with this. Sheer economic opportunity helps as well, and in that category, New England has a huge advantage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies