Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 02:23 PM

1,480 posts, read 2,795,087 times

Advertisements

When I see all the stories about the large number of kids in America getting reduced priced lunches at school, or the number of people on Food Stamps or the number of people who get Section 8 Housing Assistance, I always wonder how large our poor/disadvantaged population is in comparison to other so called Rich Countries. How do we compare with places like Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Germany, France, Australia, Canada, etc.

Do all these countries have as many poor people living on government handouts as we do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 02:32 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,171,226 times
I'm just going to sit back and watch this thread....I'm guessing it takes around 10 posts before someone calls you a racist for inquiring about this.

Old 10-04-2013, 02:40 PM

1,480 posts, read 2,795,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
I'm just going to sit back and watch this thread....I'm guessing it takes around 10 posts before someone calls you a racist for inquiring about this.
This is not about race because most First World Countries have an ethnically diverse population and people who work in low wage unskilled jobs.

Old 10-04-2013, 02:42 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,479,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
When I see all the stories about the large number of kids in America getting reduced priced lunches at school, or the number of people on Food Stamps or the number of people who get Section 8 Housing Assistance, I always wonder how large our poor/disadvantaged population is in comparison to other so called Rich Countries. How do we compare with places like Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Germany, France, Australia, Canada, etc.

Do all these countries have as many poor people living on government handouts as we do?
The USA has far and away the weakest, most punitive social safety net in all the industrialized world. The US does less to help its poor than any other advanced country.

U.S. poverty rates higher, safety net weaker than in peer countries | Economic Policy Institute

Old 10-04-2013, 03:02 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,476,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
The USA has far and away the weakest, most punitive social safety net in all the industrialized world. The US does less to help its poor than any other advanced country.

U.S. poverty rates higher, safety net weaker than in peer countries | Economic Policy Institute

While being the weakest and doing less than others; fully a third of the population is receiving some form of it. How does that tally?

More Than 100 Million Americans Are On Welfare

Old 10-04-2013, 03:03 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,119,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post

Those statistics are alarming. Pretty sad state that we're in seeing how there's so much wealth in this country.

Old 10-04-2013, 03:53 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,171,226 times
Quote:
This is not about race because most First World Countries have an ethnically diverse population and people who work in low wage unskilled jobs.
I know that it isn't but it doesn't matter if it's about race on these threads. Someone will come in all halfcocked after reading the title of the thread and assume you're making some slight against African Americans or Latinos and proceed to "tell you about how you're wrong."

Old 10-04-2013, 05:22 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,479,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
While being the weakest and doing less than others; fully a third of the population is receiving some form of it. How does that tally?

More Than 100 Million Americans Are On Welfare
Oh, it is more than a third.

Practically everyone in America benefits from government programs. They just don't realize it. Have a 30-year mortgage? That's a government program. Get a break on your property taxes because you live in your home? That's a government program. Send your kids to a public college or university? That's a government program. Ever visit one of our national parks? That's a government program.

The fact is, by far the biggest beneficiaries of government programs are the wealthy and corporations. There is not a single major industry in this country, from agribusiness to aerospace, that survives without massive public subsidies. These come in the form of tax breaks, government contracts and so-called "foreign aid" (actually a form of export subsidy where foreign government get money from US taxpayers on the condition they use it to purchase US goods and services).

However, the only time people who benefit from government programs get called "free loaders" are when they are poor and/or black and/or Latino. How does that tally?

Old 10-04-2013, 05:27 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,316,291 times
Quote:

It's hard to compare, as every country is different. Canada, for instance, doesn't have food stamps. I've never seen a food stamp here in my life.

Old 10-04-2013, 05:55 PM

234 posts, read 184,613 times
All this welfare correlates with shrinking wages and job opportunities, increased disparity between rich and poor, dramatically increasing corporate profits and the fact that a lot of people have simply given up the race to consume everything they are supposed to and live in a first-world sort of gilded 'squalor'.

What part of global corporatism and its ways and means being foisted onto society sounds insane to most Americans? Or is fear and the habit of wishing for a happy ending w/o too much fuss the things that keeps most people obeisant to this sort of environment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies