Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 10:21 AM

23,529 posts, read 17,205,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
So passing legislation using reconciliation is dictatorship? The Bush tax-cuts were passed the same way. Was that dictatorship?The sites were crashing because so many want coverage.

Anyone who presumed health care was going to be free is just stupid. Nobody promised that.

If you lady friend earns $1,000 a month ($12,000 a year) she is living well below the poverty line and not only is eligible for a hefty subsidy but is likely eligible for Medicaid.
Does everyone use the great slippery slope to mitigate degree of behavior?

Obamacare was not a tax increase!!!! it impacted 1/6 of the US economy and countless yet undiscovered aspects of legal and social upheaval. This wan't buying a t-shirt from Belgium duirng a business trip and charging it to your business account.

Legislation that sweeping, ethically needs bipartisan support not nuclear option. The people did not approve obamacare based on any facts as the facts were unknown by those who approved that legislation..which brings upo another issue of ethics. Imagine hiring a lawyer to read a contract and he never reads it but signs on your beahlf to bind you by law. Would you pay his fee? Would you report him to the AG?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2013, 10:25 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,961,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
I was working with a young lady yesterday who just got her first real job and moved out of her parent's house. She makes a $1000 a month after taxes and got a room in a boarding house for $600. She's is super careful with the remaining $400 and was furious to realize signing up for the bronze tier would cost her over $300 a month. I tried to explain her costs would be subsidized and she wanted to know how to eat in the meantime. .

60% of her income on housing is so far out of bounds, ACA is the least of her troubles.

She'll be homeless soon. Get ready to help her.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:26 AM

4,002 posts, read 3,903,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
You have for 27 years now. Reagan mandated hospitals, as of 1986, could turn away no one due to inability to pay..uninsured, illegals, criminals were forever then entitled to free care. Hospitals get the $ from you and me via taxes. I'm ok with that, but view a Health Care plan for the same people a more efficient way for my taxes to pay the exact same costs.

I guess Reagan must have been a commie and/or RINO per the TP goosestep folks, huh?
I'm not arguing that point with you ..

My point is that now, on top of all of that, you are going to have to help pay for those might not ever get sick

Old 10-06-2013, 10:28 AM

18,801 posts, read 8,461,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
Where have you been for the last 3 years, under a rock?

You must not be someone who often looks at your pay stubs .. or even has pay stubs.
Because if you didn't notice, taxes have been up. The so-called "O" people have already been digging around in your pockets to get the money to get this lead balloon off the ground.

Obama was 100% correct in his assumption that people are generally pretty stupid.

Don't think for a minute that you aren't going to have to pay for someone else - because you are.

'Cept now, under Obamacare, you aren't just paying for the guy that get's sick, you are also paying for the guy that "might" get sick.

Obama has added a whole bunch of insult to your injury and you haven't even noticed.

Hope and Change Baby -- Hope and Change

(well it's more like - "Hope they don't notice the Change")
A huge part of reform unwinds without signing up millions of relatively young and healthy folks. This is the nature of insurance. So we either continue the old way where all our rates rise and we continue to support and subsidize the young when they crash, or we make reforms and have those young pay their way. The young will help pay the way for the older and sicker. Like me. I'm probably a bad example for you. My taxes have been going down. And as I buy my own insurance, we pay huge premiums because of disease. ObamaCare and the young will probably in the end help me lower my rates. Maybe I'll finally for once get a break and get something back! But I haven't been able to log on yet to see.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:29 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,961,065 times
Quote:

My point is that now, on top of all of that, you are going to have to help pay for those might not ever get sick
Possibly, but you will also pay far LESS for those insured now, who used to go to the ER with colds. We need ER for emergencies-it is inefficient as a doctor's office for the uninsured. I respect Reagan's intent here, but the mandate should have been grouped with a way to add clinics or other less costly cost centers than ERs for folks with colds.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
You have for 27 years now. Reagan mandated hospitals, as of 1986, could turn away no one due to inability to pay..uninsured, illegals, criminals were forever then entitled to free care. Hospitals get the $ from you and me via taxes. I'm ok with that, but view a Health Care plan for the same people a more efficient way for my taxes to pay the exact same costs.

I guess Reagan must have been a commie and/or RINO per the TP goosestep folks, huh?
Not only that, since the early Reagan years Medicare started using DRG's in paying for hospital inpatient services. Based on diagnosis, not costs. So since then the rest of us have been subsidizing the elderly even more.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:

Such is the nature of socialization and insurance.

As an aside, are you up at Big Sky, MT? We sky up there maybe once a decade, and it's beyond awesome!

Old 10-06-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Possibly, but you will also pay far LESS for those insured now, who used to go to the ER with colds. We need ER for emergencies-it is inefficient as a doctor's office for the uninsured. I respect Reagan's intent here, but the mandate should have been grouped with a way to add clinics or other less costly cost centers than ERs for folks with colds.
You're referring to EMTALA, which only applies to ER's in hospitals that deal with Medicare. And only for life threatening medical/surgical concerns. Other clinics not attached to Medicare accepting hospitals generally don't deal in life saving emergencies. Patients with less than emergent problems should of course avoid the ER's and use these other facilities.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:45 AM

4,002 posts, read 3,903,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Such is the nature of socialization and insurance.

As an aside, are you up at Big Sky, MT? We sky up there maybe once a decade, and it's beyond awesome!
Um .. I'll give Big Sky it's due, but there are much better places to ski than that I think .. (British Columbia comes to mind)

bigsky is the moniker since I'm from Montana - (Currently in Seattle)

Old 10-06-2013, 12:07 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,323,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
The sites were crashing because so many want coverage.

Anyone who presumed health care was going to be free is just stupid. Nobody promised that.

If you lady friend earns $1,000 a month ($12,000 a year) she is living well below the poverty line and not only is eligible for a hefty subsidy but is likely eligible for Medicaid. If she is younger than 26, and has parents with insurance, she can remain on their plan.
The sites were crashing weeks before they went live, ask any broker trying to get their license.

Nobody promised free health care, buts it's odd how many think it is...how did that happen, eh? How did that implicit promise sink into the national thinking?

The young lady is a patron of the library I work in and she, like a lot of others like her, is trying to make it on her own. It's fascinating how many of you Democrats have forgotten people actually used to do that. Scraping by, doing two or three jobs at a time, working crazy hours, going without a meal here and there all for the exhilaration of having your own place, making it on your own and not having to live with your parents.

Obamacare’s success depends on the young, many of whom don’t even want or need health insurance, but where are they supposed to get the money in Obama’s new economy of lowered expectations, especially when they are just getting by on their own? Because if they do want it, they can't afford it.

I know you don't get the optics of it, but I suspect a lot of young people are pi$$ed off with Obamacare. You want to get a feel for what's going on, quit wasting your time opining here and go check this out. https://www.facebook.com/WhiteHouse

There is a lot of anger out there and it's aimed at the Democrats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies