Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 07:03 PM

408 posts, read 393,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetlord View Post
Your first mistake is wanting to collect "empirical data" about a political ideology, for which there are far too many variations to properly categorize every single American under the umbrella of "liberal" or "conservative."
Your first mistake is in failing to understand the question, but that's fine. Would you like for me to clarify what I'm looking for here?

Quote:
Your second mistake is categorizing people under "demographics," which is just your way of saying "by race."
Rejected. There are many different demographic categories that are useful for political data analysis. Race is only one possible dimension in that analysis. It could certainly be the *primary* dimension discussed here, but I'm certainly open to discussing trends in other demographic dimensions, your misapprehension notwithstanding.

Quote:
Like political ideology, I think the lessening of conservatism, or conservative values, has more to do with moving away from an agrarian-based society than "demographics." The move away from conservatism is more like the fall of the Whigs than a change in demographics.
I think you misunderstand me here. I didn't posit demographics as the *cause* of any trends in party support or identification; I asked if anyone was *aware of* and could substantiate any such trends, particularly with respect to the GOP.

Quote:
With that said, let's get to what you're really after:
I'm quite capable of speaking for myself; your erroneous presumptions and guesswork are neither necessary nor welcome.

Quote:
there will always be white people. U mad?
Why would I be, when I happen to *be* white myself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2013, 07:12 PM

3,620 posts, read 3,835,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curly_Q View Post
Hispanics(Latinos) and Indians.

There are two governors of Indian heritage: Louisiana and South Carolina. The governor of New Mexico is a Republican Hispanic woman (who delivered an excellent Democrat convert speech at the Republican National Convention).

Hispanics will become Republican once they master the English language. They won't be joining or supporting labor unions any time soon. They are mostly Catholic, and Catholics are mostly Republican. It's only a matter of time.

Look it up. I won't do your homework for you. Here are some hard numbers for you:

Hispanic owned businesses are the fastest growing segment of the US business population. Comprised mostly of sole-proprietorships, they account for over 1 million firms in the U.S.

According to the most recent U.S. Census Bureau data, Hispanics are opening businesses at a rate three times faster than the national average, representing now the fastest-growing segment of the nation’s economy.

70 percent of Latinos are Catholic, translating into 29 million Catholic Latinos in the United States (compared to 22 million white mainline Protestants).

In 2011, 49 percent of Catholics were identifying as Republican or leaning Republican, while only 42 percent stated a preference for the Democrats.

so why did obama get 73 percent of hispanics?

i dont buy your stats or arguments.

Old 10-05-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
2012 is not long ago in this discussion as sources go.
It is when you're *responding* to my 2013 cites with information that's from 2012 and 2011.

Quote:
All you did was attack the dates (which are not that old) and not the content.
This is really simple, Pirate. The data I posted about California enjoying a significant economic recovery was *more recent* than what you posted about bad times there. Yes, there were bad times. NOW there's a recovery. Nothing you posted countered the fact that California is enjoying a significant economic recovery NOW.

Quote:
The reality is that many California cities have already gone bankrupt.
I agree. Many have. And now California is enjoying a significant economic recovery. Did you know that?

Did you even *read* that piece? (laughing)

Oct 1 (Reuters) - Stockton, California, hopes to have a deal with bond insurer Assured Guaranty by Thursday, but if needed the city could impose a settlement to help it exit bankruptcy, its city manager said.

The lead of the story makes it clear that Stockton is *coming out of bankruptcy.* (laughing)

Quote:
And Texas is mentioned because it's the future of the countries economy. I think that deserves to be mentioned.
That's great, but it doesn't counter or refute the fact that California is enjoying a significant economic recovery.

Old 10-05-2013, 07:21 PM

215 posts, read 297,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
so why did obama get 73 percent of hispanics?

i dont buy your stats or arguments.

Here is another one:

From the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life survey taken 2011:

Fifty-four percent of white Catholics under 30 now identify with the Republican Party, while only 49 percent of those age 30 and older do.

The survey shows losses for Democrats and gains for Republicans across all religious groups. The white Catholic shift of eight percentage points was exceeded only by a nine-point shift among Jews and a 12-point shift among Mormons.

Corrected from my first post:

In 2011, 49 percent [of white Catholics] were identifying as Republican or leaning Republican, while only 42 percent stated a preference for the Democrats. In 2008, that statistic was fifty-three percent identified as Democratic or leaning Democratic voters, compared to 37 percent identifying with the Republican camp.

Last edited by curly_Q; 10-05-2013 at 07:51 PM..

Old 10-05-2013, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Hispanics will become Republican once they master the English language. They won't be joining or supporting labor unions any time soon. They are mostly Catholic, and Catholics are mostly Republican. It's only a matter of time.
You must have missed all the Hispanic-Americans who already speak English and who have lived here -- in many cases -- for generations. They're Catholic and they're very family-oriented, but they're not voting en masse for the GOP. And they're not likely to.

My Hispanic wife is absolutely dumbfounded at how the GOP has managed to squander the support of an entire ethnic group that by all rights, should be a huge block constituency for them. Somehow, the GOP has managed to discomfit them and run them off -- whereupon the Democrats were all too happy to have them.

You can go right on believing that Hispanics are going to magically start voting for the GOP "once they master the English language." Fact is, there are plenty here already who speak it just fine and who don't want anything to do with y'all.

Quote:
Look it up. I won't do your homework for you.
Your claim, *your* homework. Post it yourself.

Old 10-05-2013, 07:25 PM

Quote:
From the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life survey taken 2011:
Link, please.

Old 10-05-2013, 07:36 PM

215 posts, read 297,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna Meowt View Post
You must have missed all the Hispanic-Americans who already speak English and who have lived here -- in many cases -- for generations. They're Catholic and they're very family-oriented, but they're not voting en masse for the GOP. And they're not likely to.

My Hispanic wife is absolutely dumbfounded at how the GOP has managed to squander the support of an entire ethnic group that by all rights, should be a huge block constituency for them. Somehow, the GOP has managed to discomfit them and run them off -- whereupon the Democrats were all too happy to have them.

You can go right on believing that Hispanics are going to magically start voting for the GOP "once they master the English language." Fact is, there are plenty here already who speak it just fine and who don't want anything to do with y'all.

This from the Pew Hispanic Center, 2011 National Survey of Latinos:

38% of Hispanic adults are Spanish dominant, another 38% are bilingual and the remainder, 24%, are English dominant.

According to the Pew Hispanic survey, more than six-in-ten (61%) Latino adults in the U.S. say they can carry on a conversation in English “very well” or “pretty well.” A similar share (60%) say they can read a newspaper or book in English “very well” or “pretty well.”

Among the foreign born or first-generation Hispanics, 38% say they can carry on a conversation in English and 37% say they can read a newspaper or book in English “very well” or “pretty well.” English proficiency is higher among Hispanics who were born in the U.S. Fully 92% of Hispanics in the second generation say they are proficient when it comes to speaking English. Likewise, 91% say they can read a newspaper or book “very well” or “pretty well” in English. Among third-generation Hispanics, 96% say they are proficient in speaking English, and 94% say they can read a newspaper or book in English “very well” or “pretty well.”

Catholics are trending Republican. Latinos are predominately Catholic. Do the math.

Old 10-05-2013, 07:46 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Too bad those fiscally sane are following the politically insane.
There is a lot of truth in that. The Tea Partiers who I usually agree with on economic issues are really going about achieving their agenda in the wrong manner. Particularly when they threaten not to pay our bills which is also a bit of fiscal insanity.

Old 10-05-2013, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Among the foreign born or first-generation Hispanics, 38% say they can carry on a conversation in English
Thanks for clarifying. I showed your earlier post to my Hispanic wife, who said "what an (expletive deleted). I guess he thinks that none of us were born here and we all jumped fences or swam across rivers."

Quote:
Catholics are trending Republican. Latinos are predominately Catholic. Do the math.
[/quote]

Supposition is not math; it's simply wishful thinking on your part. It has been observed in this thread that the GOP is running off other individuals who, by all rights, should be on your side (religious, educated professional white guy and white, gun-owning Army veteran from the Deep South).

You're not going to automatically get Hispanics any more than you're going to automatically keep churchgoers, or white folks, or military veterans or residents of the Deep South. You're going to have to expend effort to attract and keep them, and I don't see y'all doing that.

If Hispanics were going to support the GOP en masse, they'd already be doing it. They're not. Do the math.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:36 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
the liberal hatred of whites and the elderly continues.
You're wrong. Whites and the elderly are more Democratic than Republican. The evidence of the last elections prove that, as both groups are the heaviest and most regular voters. Neither group votes for a party they believe hates them.

'Liberal hatred' is just another conservative buzz word that failed on arrival. Using it only makes you appear surly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies