Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 04:15 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,811,230 times

Advertisements

What's it like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2013, 04:18 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,852,928 times
I am at the step of "verification" unfortunately the verification server is offline... the news reports that Obamacare servers are offline intermittently and they don't know when it will be fix... apparently, its because of bad programming (ie they got cheap)... I doubt they will beat $200/month for a HSA plan but I thought I take a look...

Old 10-05-2013, 04:21 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,261,651 times
I hear they give you a coupon for a free cookie. Seriously though, I don't know if anybody signed up yet. I do know that the policies listed on the exchaange are more expensive that what you can buy in the private market. Many insurers have not offered plans because there is *talk* that the first people to sign up are going to be the most expensive people to insure. In Nov there will be more plans and presumably cheaper plans as well.

Old 10-05-2013, 04:29 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
I was able to create an account a few minutes ago! Been trying since Monday. I created one then but it evaporated or something. Now I get the (blank) success! screen when logging in but get no further. Progress though. LOL . I think in a couple more weeks our Indian IT consultants will have this thing working.

Old 10-05-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
I hear they give you a coupon for a free cookie. Seriously though, I don't know if anybody signed up yet. I do know that the policies listed on the exchaange are more expensive that what you can buy in the private market. Many insurers have not offered plans because there is *talk* that the first people to sign up are going to be the most expensive people to insure. In Nov there will be more plans and presumably cheaper plans as well.
The policies on the exchange ARE the private market and you don't pay and can change until Dec 15 for insurance on Jan1 or later for later start dates. So you can always get a cheaper one if they show up. You can go look at plans that comply with ACA and are being offered in your zip on ehealthinsurance.com. I read that they were going to handle the subsidies on that site too but did not see that when I was looking around.

Old 10-05-2013, 04:38 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I was able to create an account a few minutes ago! Been trying since Monday. I created one then but it evaporated or something. Now I get the (blank) success! screen when logging in but get no further. Progress though. LOL . I think in a couple more weeks our Indian IT consultants will have this thing working.
I managed to create an account, got the email verification link about 30 seconds later.. clicked it, and it tells me I didnt verify the email in time and I have to start over..

I then tried to create a new account, it says the username I want to use is taken.. (by my previosly unverified account), and I cant use it..

I try to have the email resent to reverify the original account.. says the account doesnt exist...

Old 10-05-2013, 04:44 PM

408 posts, read 393,496 times
My wife's an insomniac, so she was able to get in overnight Thursday night. Unfortunately, she did it on her phone, and she couldn't figure out how to export the data via email or some other application so we could go over it together later. I appreciate that she didn't wake me up from a sound sleep.

My employer's health plan is dropping to 70% coverage next year from 80%, so my wife and I want to price and look into gold-level and platinum-level plans (80% and 90% coverage). I'm a disabled veteran (but Cat 8, so not eligible for VA) and also have serious health issues not connected to the military, so we're motivated to do some serious cost-benefit analysis once we can get some solid numbers and hard data on plans themselves. We're well above the subsidy level, so that's not a consideration for us.

Old 10-05-2013, 04:47 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,304,341 times
Oh, I've heard that they are flooded with signups! Literally DOZENS of people!

Old 10-05-2013, 04:47 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,261,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The policies on the exchange ARE the private market and you don't pay and can change until Dec 15 for insurance on Jan1 or later for later start dates. So you can always get a cheaper one if they show up. You can go look at plans that comply with ACA and are being offered in your zip on ehealthinsurance.com. I read that they were going to handle the subsidies on that site too but did not see that when I was looking around.
That's not true for two reasons. First, you can buy policies effective today that may or may not be ACA compliant in the private market, but will be valid for 1 year. The exchange policies don't start until next year. Second, not all insurers have or will offer coverage next year, so you can buy from a company you like now and if it turns out that you can't renew with your preferred company you have a year to make a decision on the new company. I didn't hear you could change policies, but I can see that happening if the website starts working.

Old 10-05-2013, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
That's not true for two reasons. First, you can buy policies effective today that may or may not be ACA compliant in the private market, but will be valid for 1 year. The exchange policies don't start until next year. Second, not all insurers have or will offer coverage next year, so you can buy from a company you like now and if it turns out that you can't renew with your preferred company you have a year to make a decision on the new company. I didn't hear you could change policies, but I can see that happening if the website starts working.
Well I don't know what "that" that is not true is, but whatever on that. ehealthinsurance.com has a option for policies to begin now or in 2014. The 2014 policies are labeled as the bronze, silver etc. eheathinsurance cut a deal with HHS to sell ACA policies along with subsidies a couple months back. I can get on ehealth and get all sorts of ACA plans, but can't tell if they are the same with respect to price etc, as exchange offerings in my state because of the problems with the exchange site. People can buy insurance anywhere they want but you have to buy from a place that can handle subsidies if you qualifty for one. Like I said, ehealthinsurance was supposed to be one of them and an alternative to the official exchanges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies