Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 10:22 PM

1,393 posts, read 3,173,548 times

Advertisements

Anyone have kids under 26 that they have to put back on their insurance? I'm just wondering if you are an insured parent and have 26 and under kid(s), and those kids are sans-insurance...do you have to put them back on your insurance plan? Is this mandated or fined if you don't? My daughter is 24, but thankfully has insurance through her work (though she is on furlough now, since she works in a "non-essential" position.) I can't imagine having to add her back onto my insurance and at the increased rates!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2013, 11:09 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
There is no requirement that a parent put their young adult offspring on their insurance. You CAN do it, but you don't HAVE to. We put our daughter back on ours when she went back to school and no longer had ins. through her work. And no, she couldn't get it through the school b/c she was in a certificate program, not a degree program.

Old 10-05-2013, 11:11 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times
It is an option, not a requirement. My sister added my niece on until her 26th birthday recently.

It was a godsend.

Old 10-06-2013, 12:44 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
My daughter stayed on her dad's policy until she turned 26 and my son will no doubt be on until he is 26 too (currently in college).

Old 10-06-2013, 01:43 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,440,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggie Legs View Post
Anyone have kids under 26 that they have to put back on their insurance? I'm just wondering if you are an insured parent and have 26 and under kid(s), and those kids are sans-insurance...do you have to put them back on your insurance plan? Is this mandated or fined if you don't? My daughter is 24, but thankfully has insurance through her work (though she is on furlough now, since she works in a "non-essential" position.) I can't imagine having to add her back onto my insurance and at the increased rates!
Not a parent, but I'm still on my mothers plan; why weren't parents allowed to keep their children on longer before? It seems only logical that if a parent is willing to pay, there shouldn't be an age limit to stop it. Maybe I'm not getting something here.

Old 10-06-2013, 01:55 AM

29,819 posts, read 24,902,718 times
At 26, these are not "kids" anymore. What's going on? Aren't 26 YO supposed to be mostly independent by this age? Why is an act of congress (actually Obama) required to allow grown ups to stay on their parents insurance

Old 10-06-2013, 01:56 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,007,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggie Legs View Post

I, too, am 'non-essential'. However, just to be clear, our health insurance through the Federal government remains in force. Even if the shutdown is prolonged she would not have to return to your insurance umbrella.

Old 10-06-2013, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
At 26, these are not "kids" anymore. What's going on? Aren't 26 YO supposed to be mostly independent by this age? Why is an act of congress (actually Obama) required to allow grown ups to stay on their parents insurance
It's not required, this is one of the few parts of the ACA I see as completely logical. I'm sure a parent with a student in college doesn't mind paying for their son or daughters insurance for a bit longer to ensure they (the sons and daughters) won't have a bunch of bills on their hands when they are just leaving college. My job offers insurance, but my mother insists on continuing to pay simply because she would need to subsidize more than she already does if I were to pay for my own insurance out of pocket therefore it saves both of us cash.

Old 10-06-2013, 02:13 AM

29,819 posts, read 24,902,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
It's not required, this is one of the few parts of the ACA I see as completely logical. I'm sure a parent with a student in college doesn't mind paying for their son or daughters insurance for a bit longer to ensure they (the sons and daughters) won't have a bunch of bills on their hands when they are just leaving college. My job offers insurance, but my mother insists on continuing to pay simply because she would need to subsidize more than she already does if I were to pay for my own insurance out of pocket therefore it saves both of us cash.
I understand how this is a benefit for you. I'm just wondering why this necessitated an act of law. By 26, most young folks should have completed college if they choose to attended. Aren't most of them out of their parent's house by this age?

Old 10-06-2013, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I understand how this is a benefit for you. I'm just wondering why this necessitated an act of law. By 26, most young folks should have completed college if they choose to attended. Aren't most of them out of their parent's house by this age?
I agree, but that's not how it works out for a lot of younger adults, everything happened to me by luck; I stayed with my Aunt for a while and just saved cash rather than automatically entering the expensive DC market, and I used what I saved to rent out a place with a roommate for an excellent price, and while I could afford to pay it without my mothers help, I would've been eating Roman noodles every night without her assistance. Maybe last year or two years ago I didn't have insurance because my mother had switched her employer and just my luck, I had to go to the ER, the bill was astronomical for what was done so I understand the importance of insurance now.

If a parent believes that it will be cheaper to keep them on their insurance plan, then go for it, I would want my child off of my insurance by 21 but if he needed it longer, I would provide it for the sheer fact it could save him/her or I cash if they were to ever have life threatening injuries. But going back to myself, I do plan on enrolling in my employers insurance within 2-years because by then my car will be paid off so that's one less expense plus I'll still be under 26.

Would you believe that it's the parents choice to keep their 'child' on their insurance longer if they wanted to? My mom could drop me like a hot potato if she wanted, and stop subsidizing me which would mean no more cash for my rent, higher cell-phone bills, more out of pocket for my food, an actual insurance premium to pay, and much more. I mean, I understand I'm a higher cost for my mother but I'm also a reduction as well because I could always be living at home with her raising her bills, and what not while still being completely dependent on her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies