U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-06-2013, 12:21 AM
 
Location: San Antonio Texas
11,435 posts, read 15,940,646 times
Reputation: 5224

Advertisements

Much has been made of the great California exodus to other states like Ariz, Nevada, Texas and other western states. States like Ariz and Nevada have become more Dem blue for Pres elections, with Nevada solidly so. With their low populations, why haven't states like Montana & Idaho become more blue as well with all of the californians who have made their homes there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-06-2013, 12:27 AM
 
3,977 posts, read 3,264,377 times
Reputation: 1295
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Much has been made of the great California exodus to other states like Ariz, Nevada, Texas and other western states. States like Ariz and Nevada have become more Dem blue for Pres elections, with Nevada solidly so. With their low populations, why haven't states like Montana & Idaho become more blue as well with all of the californians who have made their homes there?
The Blues in California are staying put ... The Reds are fleeing places like California in droves ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2013, 12:40 AM
 
2,672 posts, read 2,190,159 times
Reputation: 1029
Like a lot of rural states even though they rely on gubbermint handouts like school lunches, farm subsidies, Snap, Eic they vote Republican. Republicans have done a good job of convincing rural voters that Democrats are socialists and one step from communist. The education level is low and those with any ambition tend to leave the rural areas. I live in a town that votes predominantly Republican. We have 10 high school dropouts for every college graduate. I have a neighbor who intensely dislikes Obama yet she collects Snap, EIC, and had kids in Head Start. The real kicker though is at the state level the county couldn't survive without money flowing in from Seattle and the property taxes that are distributed across the state. They all like to complain about welfare in Seattle but they don't think Snap, EIC, and Head Start plus the school funding is welfare. If I was to take a guess only 20% of the people in my town pay income taxes and most would vote Democrat. Its that way all over rural Washington, Oregon, Idaho, and Utah and just about every where else that is rural and white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2013, 12:41 AM
 
Location: Pluto's Home Town
9,995 posts, read 11,231,823 times
Reputation: 5555
I think you see both patterns. Blue voters from California tend to head to Oregon, Washington, Colorado, New Mexico, and Nevada. Red voters head to Utah, Idaho, Montana (actually Montana is a mixed bag), Texas, and Arizona. The "destination" immigrants are often very doctrinaire and add to the color of their chosen place. For example, N. Idaho is a magnet for California conservatives, such as retired police officers, who can live pretty fat with their CA equity, and CA pensions, and lots of time to gorge on partisan media. Colorado, in contrast, attracts classic liberals and is gradually turning blue, following Washington and Oregon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2013, 12:51 AM
 
2,672 posts, read 2,190,159 times
Reputation: 1029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I think you see both patterns. Blue voters from California tend to head to Oregon, Washington, Colorado, New Mexico, and Nevada. Red voters head to Utah, Idaho, Montana (actually Montana is a mixed bag), Texas, and Arizona. The "destination" immigrants are often very doctrinaire and add to the color of their chosen place. For example, N. Idaho is a magnet for California conservatives, such as retired police officers, who can live pretty fat with their CA equity, and CA pensions, and lots of time to gorge on partisan media. Colorado, in contrast, attracts classic liberals and is gradually turning blue, following Washington and Oregon.
I think that's a good analysis. I don't think Idaho and Utah will elect any prominent Democrat any time soon. I know there are still Democrats there but they are almost non-existent. I think Arizona though is a really interesting state with so many senior voters that were born before 1946 and populate the retirement communities. They turned the state more Red in 2000 but now they are on their way out. I have a hard time believing that the boomers who are coming in will vote for some of the Tea Party types that have taken control of Arizona in the last couple of years. I am really looking forward to seeing what happens to Arizona and Texas. When I walk around in a store in Arizona and look at the younger people I cant imagine them voting for a bunch of geezers. Trouble is they don't vote like the geezers do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2013, 12:52 AM
 
Location: M I N N E S O T A
14,805 posts, read 16,980,066 times
Reputation: 8981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I think you see both patterns. Blue voters from California tend to head to Oregon, Washington, Colorado, New Mexico, and Nevada. Red voters head to Utah, Idaho, Montana (actually Montana is a mixed bag), Texas, and Arizona. The "destination" immigrants are often very doctrinaire and add to the color of their chosen place. For example, N. Idaho is a magnet for California conservatives, such as retired police officers, who can live pretty fat with their CA equity, and CA pensions, and lots of time to gorge on partisan media. Colorado, in contrast, attracts classic liberals and is gradually turning blue, following Washington and Oregon.
And how about the people who don't give a sh-- about politics? (which is probably the majority)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2013, 12:56 AM
 
2,672 posts, read 2,190,159 times
Reputation: 1029
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
And how about the people who don't give a sh-- about politics? (which is probably the majority)
Unfortunately they are the mostly people under 30. In some area seniors are more than 3 times as likely as 18-30 year olds. That how we ended up with the geezers putting the Tea Partiers in office in 2010 when in an off year 60% voted Republican. That set the stage for the gerrymandering that followed and now Republicans are firmly locked in until 2020 in the House.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2013, 01:39 AM
 
Location: Jewel Lake (Sagle) Idaho
25,332 posts, read 16,279,731 times
Reputation: 14063
Most of the people leaving California are the intelligent, productive ones. Or those that have had a successful career and are retiring. The uneducated welfare crowd is staying in CA. Those that have left are often further "right" than the natives. They don't want their adopted state turning into the craphole they left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2013, 01:50 AM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
21,729 posts, read 10,593,592 times
Reputation: 3943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Most of the people leaving California are the intelligent, productive ones. Or those that have had a successful career and are retiring. The uneducated welfare crowd is staying in CA. Those that have left are often further "right" than the natives. They don't want their adopted state turning into the craphole they left.
evidence ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2013, 01:53 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
33,948 posts, read 32,373,038 times
Reputation: 49891
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
The Blues in California are staying put ... The Reds are fleeing places like California in droves ..
Judging by Austin, Texas, I don't think so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top