Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 10:21 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,934,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Koolaid View Post
and if it doesn't work and it actually hurts middle class familes as many think it will?

Who will the Dems blame then as they're tossed out of office?
LOL, you gonna get one very rude awakening next elections, oh wait you will still not understand why the GOP is dieing, those without the abilty to adapt usually end up extinct and never know why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 10:33 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Listen, conservatives:

You can't simultaneously be the ones who started this whole thing by insisting on using the shutdown and debt ceiling as a threat for your unilateral demands AND then blame the other side as causing the shutdown. It makes NO SENSE. You can't blame the other side as the initiator of your threatening actions when you don't get what you wanted.

Put another way, you can't be the one to start a fight and start hitting someone and then scream at them "Stop it! You're causing these punches!" All while you continue to hit them. That makes absolutely no sense; that's the mentality of a lunatic. Just like when you cause a shutdown and then act all indignant and surprised that stuff is actually shut down.

So if it's YOU guys who started this crap and wanted to use the threat of a shutdown to gain something, then don't say that it's the other side who is causing the shutdown. IT'S YOU. There would never have been a shutdown if you had respected the rule of law and not started it to try to circumvent a law that was legitimately passed, rather than waiting to legitimately repeal it.

Apparently, conservatives think we all live in lunatic la la land where if they just whine loudly enough, the rest of humanity will somehow not employ basic common sense reasoning to recognize who really is to blame here.

(Oh, and the polls all show that Republicans are being primarily vilified for this whole debacle).
Good grief!!! I am SO sick of this leftist absolutism. Conservative= bad Liberalism= good, it's ALL on conservatives that DC can't hit their ass with both hands. This rant makes about as much sense as a screen door in a submarine, and has about the same effect.

Assigning singular blame for this mess is arrogant and nonsensical, beyond belief. The ACA is not a hugely popular law with the people. Not just conservatives, either. Opposition to it is large enough to, pretty much, mandate further debate. I consider myself pretty conservative, though I am not a Republican, and this debacle frosts me. From all angles. I fully agree that there are issues with the ACA that are in serious need of attention. As it stands, there are serious problems, mainly because the Democrats were in such a hurry to ram it through. Sheesh.."We have to pass it so we can know what's in it". ???? Sure thing.

So, it's boiled down to this childish pissing match. Just put it to a referendum by the people. Let us decide. Then we will know for sure how popular this law is, and DC can just accept the results and get to work. Congress and the Senate can't handle it, so, We the People will do it for them.

I am sick to death of all those geezers in DC thinking they have no accountability to us, and drawing these party line stances. Then, I see threads like this, with someone parroting Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi, and it just goes over the top for me. Look, opposition to this law is huge. It can't be ignored just because you want it to be, and feel your views and those of your leftist heroes, aforementioned, are above reproach. I support opposition to this law, but, it's time to take a different approach. Let the people speak, and tell these political hacks to shut up, sit down and listen!!

Old 10-07-2013, 10:36 AM

1,963 posts, read 1,822,485 times
Republicans lose seats, but keep House. Dems keep Senate.

Then Hilary is elected in two years.

Anybody thinking differently is foolish.

Old 10-07-2013, 10:38 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
Default Conservatives live in opposite world, apparently

Some Pubs are beginning to take an interest in science again, though.

A first step?

Old 10-07-2013, 10:41 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,381,429 times
Default Excellent post

Quote:
Listen, conservatives:

You can't simultaneously be the ones who started this whole thing by insisting on using the shutdown and debt ceiling as a threat for your unilateral demands AND then blame the other side as causing the shutdown. It makes NO SENSE. You can't blame the other side as the initiator of your threatening actions when you don't get what you wanted.

Put another way, you can't be the one to start a fight and start hitting someone and then scream at them "Stop it! You're causing these punches!" All while you continue to hit them. That makes absolutely no sense; that's the mentality of a lunatic. Just like when you cause a shutdown and then act all indignant and surprised that stuff is actually shut down.

So if it's YOU guys who started this crap and wanted to use the threat of a shutdown to gain something, then don't say that it's the other side who is causing the shutdown. IT'S YOU. There would never have been a shutdown if you had respected the rule of law and not started it to try to circumvent a law that was legitimately passed, rather than waiting to legitimately repeal it.

Apparently, conservatives think we all live in lunatic la la land where if they just whine loudly enough, the rest of humanity will somehow not employ basic common sense reasoning to recognize who really is to blame here.

(Oh, and the polls all show that Republicans are being primarily vilified for this whole debacle).
Today's Republicans are the worst in history. Their stupid rationale is embarrassing. Excellent points you make.

Old 10-07-2013, 10:44 AM

23,864 posts, read 24,105,148 times
Quote:
There would never have been a shutdown if you had respected the rule of law and not started it to try to circumvent a law that was legitimately passed
You do realize that raising the debt ceiling is itself "circumventing a law that was legitimately passed," don't you?

Oh, wait, you probably don't.

Ok, so here's how it works. Congress passed a law saying that the debt owed by the United States government would only be a certain, specified amount. That is a LAW that was "legitimately passed" and signed by the President, just like any other law.

So now you want to use the argument that Republicans aren't supposed to use the legislative system to change an existing law, while complaining that they won't use the legislative system to change an existing law?

Do you understand how completely ridiculous that argument is? Do you see just how fundamentally flawed it is?

Do you?!!?!!

Old 10-07-2013, 10:45 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,870,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith904 View Post
Republicans lose seats, but keep House. Dems keep Senate.
But possibly, the quality of Republicans in the House could change. There are signs that many of these recalcitrant Tea Partiers may face primaries of their own by more moderate party candidates who will be backed by business organizations who see the far right hurting their interests.

Some tea party congressmen find signs of political backlash at home - The Washington Post

Old 10-07-2013, 10:58 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,759,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Good grief!!! I am SO sick of this leftist absolutism. Conservative= bad Liberalism= good, it's ALL on conservatives that DC can't hit their ass with both hands. This rant makes about as much sense as a screen door in a submarine, and has about the same effect.

Assigning singular blame for this mess is arrogant and nonsensical, beyond belief. The ACA is not a hugely popular law with the people. Not just conservatives, either. Opposition to it is large enough to, pretty much, mandate further debate. I consider myself pretty conservative, though I am not a Republican, and this debacle frosts me. From all angles. I fully agree that there are issues with the ACA that are in serious need of attention. As it stands, there are serious problems, mainly because the Democrats were in such a hurry to ram it through. Sheesh.."We have to pass it so we can know what's in it". ???? Sure thing.

So, it's boiled down to this childish pissing match. Just put it to a referendum by the people. Let us decide. Then we will know for sure how popular this law is, and DC can just accept the results and get to work. Congress and the Senate can't handle it, so, We the People will do it for them.

I am sick to death of all those geezers in DC thinking they have no accountability to us, and drawing these party line stances. Then, I see threads like this, with someone parroting Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi, and it just goes over the top for me. Look, opposition to this law is huge. It can't be ignored just because you want it to be, and feel your views and those of your leftist heroes, aforementioned, are above reproach. I support opposition to this law, but, it's time to take a different approach. Let the people speak, and tell these political hacks to shut up, sit down and listen!!
The Tea Party has hit the nuclear options, TWICE, this year. They will reap the foul crop they have sown a year from now.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:07 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,227,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
The House submitted a spending bill to the Senate and the Senate, which is controlled by Democrats, rejected the bill.

That rejection triggered the shutdown.

The Democrats shut down the government.

It is really quite simple.
That's right. It is utterly simple:

You submit a spending bill that demands that important legislation is dismantled and then complain that it isn't being passed.

That's like submitting a spending bill that demands that Islam is now our state religion (or some other such nonsense) and then complaining that it wasn't passed...

Even worse, it's taking the rejection of such a bill to say: See? We tried. It's the Dems who are not willing to give in...It's all their fault.

Pathetic.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:10 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
Hmmm DoniDanko thinks Harrier the junkie should check himself into rehab ASAP!
Harrier wasn't aware that Mitt Romney was running for Congress in 2010.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies