Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2013, 01:15 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,833,729 times

Advertisements

I do not think it is that ingrained. In fact, if RG3 said he wanted it changed he would probably be able to pull it off. The fans who I think are indifferent and do not care would back RG3, who is the most popular player in the league.

I do not see who would have a big deal with the name change outside of idiots who live breathe and sleep football. I also don't buy the PC angle the right always brings up either.

Nobody is going to die if the name is changed, and Snyder isn't going to go bankrupt over it. All of the fans will buy the new jersey and re-licensing all apparel will only be a few million.

There isn't a good enough argument from those opposed to the name change imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 03:58 AM

29,094 posts, read 25,994,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
I do not think it is that ingrained. In fact, if RG3 said he wanted it changed he would probably be able to pull it off. The fans who I think are indifferent and do not care would back RG3, who is the most popular player in the league.

I do not see who would have a big deal with the name change outside of idiots who live breathe and sleep football. I also don't buy the PC angle the right always brings up either.

Nobody is going to die if the name is changed, and Snyder isn't going to go bankrupt over it. All of the fans will buy the new jersey and re-licensing all apparel will only be a few million.

There isn't a good enough argument from those opposed to the name change imo.
Why don't you at least posit one good reason why the name should be changed?

Old 10-08-2013, 04:17 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,408,314 times
Mods there already is a thread about this please merge, thanks.

Old 10-08-2013, 04:10 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,509,699 times
It's only a matter of time before this nickname goes away, probably 3 to 4 years.

Quote:
The NFL will reportedly meet with Oneida Nation over the Redskins name. (USATSI)
The debate over the Redskins nickname keeps being pushed into the public spotlight and while the NFL owners meet in Washington, D.C., on Tuesday, members of the Oneida Indian Nation protested the name earlier this week. The NFL owners won't make it to that but the league plans to speak with Oneida Nation about their concerns.

That's according to Mark Maske of the Washington Post, who reports the two sides will meet on November 22 at the league's offices in New York City.

Per Maske, Aldopho Birch, the league's VP of labor relations, wrote a letter to Oneida Nation opening up the door for a potential meeting.

Scrutiny on the NFL -- and the Redskins specifically -- has increased heavily in recent days, with President Barack Obama coming out and saying he would "think about changing" the name of Washington's football team if it truly offended a group of people.

"I don't know whether our attachment to a particular name should override the real legitimate concerns that people have about these things," Obama said. “I don't want to detract from the wonderful Redskins fans that are here. They love their team and rightly so."

Old 10-08-2013, 05:08 PM

62,866 posts, read 29,098,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
It's only a matter of time before this nickname goes away, probably 3 to 4 years.
Of course, it is in keeping with the so-called progressive PC movement that has infested our country for awhile now.

Old 10-08-2013, 05:33 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,875,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
This should be in the sports forum.
Not since comrade obama the gay pr!ck stuck his nose into he argument...

Old 10-08-2013, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabronie View Post
I thought they should not as well, until I heard this point....

If an American / Native Indian walked into your place of business (that you did not know), would you go up to them and say "Hi redskin, what brings you in?" No, no you would not as it would be awfully disrespecting. Just like we don't have the Kansas City Blacks, etc,
Happens all the times in my store. When a white person walks in, I say Hi white man, or Hi black man, or Hi ugly old lady, or....
Your argument has to be the dumbest of them all...

Old 10-08-2013, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
It's not Brownskins. It's not Blackskins. It's not Whiteskins.

Get it now?

And btw, I'm not offended by it because I'm not an Indian but if they are vocal about getting it changed because they are offended then so be it.
The very few who are making a fuss are just killing time until the government check comes in so they can buy some more beer. Most Indians don't care...

Old 10-08-2013, 06:01 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,772,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Why don't you at least posit one good reason why the name should be changed?
It's embarrassing to have a large nationwide sports franchise named after a racial slur.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:21 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,813,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayid Linus View Post
I believe, unlike your examples, "redskin" is a historically derogatory term. If they were the Washington "insert tribe name here" it probably would not be an issue.
How'd that work out with The University of North Dakota?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies