Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2013, 07:08 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,942,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
I'm Indian, I was born in 1950 in the Northwest, I can still remember signs on stores saying "No Redskins". I find it offensive.

Here's a link to what other Indians think:

Natives Speaking for Themselves About the Redskins Controversy - ICTMN.com
awesome video bro.

..."I am not a charactercher, I not a mascot".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 10:37 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
I'm Indian, I was born in 1950 in the Northwest, I can still remember signs on stores saying "No Redskins". I find it offensive.

Not too long ago: MANY people of the "wrong" heritage were NOT allowed to go to certain places. "No Irish Need Apply" comes to mind. If we're gonna go there about some words that certain American Indians hate: how about telling the Navajos or Hopis here in Arizona to STOP using "Squaw" in like in the "Squaw Dance"?

Native Words Native Warriors

Old 10-20-2013, 10:47 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,772 times
Quote:

(Haven't checked your link yet, but I will.)

I only really have close contact with some Choctaw and Cherokee here in Oklahoma. I do know a lot of people from other tribes...Creek, Kiowa, Osage, Seminole, etc.

Really I haven't found anybody in the Native community that is really offended by this "Redskins" controversy. Most of the People I know just think it's amusing to watch white people kick up such a fuss about it.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:49 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,772 times
Quote:
That is just shameful.

I can certainly understand your taking offense to this. I just haven't met many Indians in my neck of the woods who find it a big deal. Then again, I haven't had a lot of discussions with many Elders.

Old 10-20-2013, 02:52 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
How about just letting the team owners decide?
That makes too much sense.

It would never fly in the Obama administration.

Old 10-20-2013, 03:03 PM

1,507 posts, read 1,974,847 times
The answer for 500 Alix is they should not. I am sick of hearing the far left whine about this non issue. If people don't like the name don't buy the product. If enough vote for it that way then it will change. If not suck it up and quit whining about it.

Old 10-20-2013, 03:06 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
That makes too much sense.

It would never fly in the Obama administration.
When has the Obama administration attempted to change the name of the Redskins in the past 5 years? The correct answer Harrier is looking for is none.

Old 10-20-2013, 03:09 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxondale351 View Post
The answer for 500 Alix is they should not. I am sick of hearing the far left whine about this non issue. If people don't like the name don't buy the product. If enough vote for it that way then it will change. If not suck it up and quit whining about it.
The Redskins are privately owned, so I don't think any vote can change the team's name. And if you want to hear some serious whining, go to Yahoo Sports and read the comment section about any random football team. Those guys do some serious whining.

Old 10-20-2013, 03:17 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,942,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxondale351 View Post
I see your name is saxon dale. Are you saying if some celebrity statred making fun of saxons...saying things like all saxons are retards and idiots..and if this took off and saxons became the butt of jokes...

are you saying that would not bother you?

Old 10-20-2013, 03:52 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,948,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
I see your name is saxon dale. Are you saying if some celebrity statred making fun of saxons...saying things like all saxons are retards and idiots..and if this took off and saxons became the butt of jokes...

are you saying that would not bother you?
I think I lost a few IQ points after reading that post. Surely you can come up with a better comparison than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies