Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2013, 10:09 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,368,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
maybe because its a racial slur? newsflash, if you don't want to have to change your name of your team/business/anything in the future--Don't give it a racist name!
Here's a news flash for you. The Redskins took that name in 1933, long before political correctness reared its ugly head and various groups became feeble and fragile, easily and ridiculously offended or "entitled." There's something to be said about tradition and standing up for it. In 1933 the name was not considered racist nor, I would guess, were there a lot of complainers and whiners. I'm surprised colors such as black, brown, red, yellow, etc. haven't been renamed. That's how ridiculous this has all become with the help of those of your ilk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 10:12 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
The Redskins name was about pride, not a racial slur. And I don't think the name will ever be changed especially with Dan Snyder
If you look at the history of the Redskins, they were first called the Boston Braves because they played in the same stadium as the Boston Braves baseball team, they changed the name to the Boston Redskins when moving to Fenway Park where the Red Sox play. The mistake that was made at the time was including the indian into the logo. Had they called themselves the Boston Red Skins without the indian logo, this would not be an issue today.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:15 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,942,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
maybe because its a racial slur? newsflash, if you don't want to have to change your name of your team/business/anything in the future--Don't give it a racist name!
It's such a racist name that Red Mesa High School, a school on an Indian Reservation in Teec Nos Pos, Arizona chose it as their school mascot.

Oh noes!!! Those indians are degrading themselves!! The sky is falling!!!

Old 10-20-2013, 10:16 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,368,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
If you look at the history of the Redskins, they were first called the Boston Braves because they played in the same stadium as the Boston Braves baseball team, they changed the name to the Boston Redskins when moving to Fenway Park where the Red Sox play. The mistake that was made at the time was including the indian into the logo. Had they called themselves the Boston Red Skins without the indian logo, this would not be an issue today.
I doubt it was a mistake. I mean, what team wants to be thought of as potatoes?

Old 10-20-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Had they called themselves the Boston Red Skins without the indian logo, this would not be an issue today.
It's not an issue for anyone but a few butt hurt folks crying about it 80 years later.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostly1 View Post
I doubt it was a mistake. I mean, what team wants to be thought of as potatoes?
The Idaho Potatoes? If Idaho had a football team. Though seeing DC has some southern connections, they could have been called the Pigskins with an angry fighting pig for a logo. Which pigskin is also the nickname of a football.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
It's not an issue for anyone but a few butt hurt folks crying about it 80 years later.
I don't care who this is an issue for or not an issue for. Clearly it is an issue for you or you wouldn't be commenting on this. But pointing out a historical fact about the Redskins, that they were basically named after the baseball team, the Red Sox, it would have made more sense for them at the time to drop the indian logo.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:24 PM

Quote:
I don't care who this is an issue for or not an issue for. Clearly it is an issue for you or you wouldn't be commenting on this. But pointing out a historical fact about the Redskins, that they were basically named after the baseball team, the Red Sox, it would have made more sense for them at the time to drop the indian logo.
I'm not the one crying for them to change it. I actually find it funny watching the whiners continue to come up with asinine reasons why all of the sudden the name is racist and offensive.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:32 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
Quote:
Harrier thinks this is a non-issue, that means Harrier is expressing Harrier's opinion. Harrier is a hypocrite because of this. If Harrier was neutral, Harrier would express that this is neither an issue nor a non-issue because Harrier is not expressing Harrier's opinion one way or another.
Harrier has no opinion on the topic at hand, which is what should be the name of the NFL team in Washington D.C.

C'mon urbanlife, you are smarter than you are acting.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:35 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
Quote:
The Idaho Potatoes? If Idaho had a football team. Though seeing DC has some southern connections, they could have been called the Pigskins with an angry fighting pig for a logo. Which pigskin is also the nickname of a football.
Idaho does have a football team.

They are called the Vandals.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/70/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies