Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 12:34 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,782,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post

Publicly traded companies are nothing more than gigantic Ponzi schemes.
That pretty much reveals the astounding level of ignorance of the OP.

No point in replying.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 01:55 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Ummm... from investors.
Alec, what are stock holders for $100?

Old 10-08-2013, 01:57 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,086,723 times
it will crash as soon as the fed stops buying the debt anyways.

Old 10-08-2013, 02:07 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,802,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Ummm... from investors.
How would they go about doin' that without a market?

Old 10-08-2013, 02:13 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,440,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
Is it time to do away with the stock market?

Publicly traded companies are nothing more than gigantic Ponzi schemes. They help the rich get richer at the expense of others not to mention that since board members have to report to stockholders, they will do anything to cut costs including off-shoring jobs and other "creative" ways of accounting.

We would be better off with only private companies that sought to do business the best way possible including taking care of their employees and producing better goods. The better the product you sell, the more people will buy and the better for free market capitalism. A private company would reduce government involvement by eliminating the need for the SEC (which is a massive failure in itself). Getting the government out is the best thing for everyone.

Any thoughts?
How about teaching the little man how to invest to become wealthier? People like yourself blame the rich for wealth disparity but fail to see how they are becoming wealthy; you think being a doctor will make them wealthy? Hell no, it's by investing accordingly and willing to take risk.

Old 10-08-2013, 02:16 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,204,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
How about teaching the little man how to invest to become wealthier? People like yourself blame the rich for wealth disparity but fail to see how they are becoming wealthy; you think being a doctor will make them wealthy? Hell no, it's by investing accordingly and willing to take risk.
You hit the nail on the head. I work in financial services, and we see just as many doctors and high-priced lawyers without money at retirement as we do middle class earners. We have an education problem, not a money problem.

Old 10-08-2013, 02:36 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,440,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
You hit the nail on the head. I work in financial services, and we see just as many doctors and high-priced lawyers without money at retirement as we do middle class earners. We have an education problem, not a money problem.
My girl friend, who also works in the financial sector, was telling me how certain doctors that are customers have mortgages that are like $15,000 a month which is insane to believe until you actually run the numbers yourself. Personally, if I had an $800,000 salary, I wouldn't have a home that cost me $15,000 a month, I'd probably do $6,000 at best and that would still give me a fair amount of house. I believe our culture plays a huge role in why people with high-incomes and even low-incomes can't become wealthy and that's over consumerism. I know that I'm a 'victim' of over consumption but to counter it, I invest a lot for example, the other day I purchased a Microsoft Surface so I went ahead and invested $500 in Solar Energy companies as well and although that isn't a hefty amount of cash, it can multiple over time.

Old 10-08-2013, 02:45 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
In the early 1700's Wall Street was the city's first official market for the sale and rental of African and Indian slaves.

Wall Street was where traders and speculators met to trade and speculate in securities and bonds which became the NYSE.

In 1789, Wall Street was the scene of the United States' first presidential inauguration when George Washington took the oath of office on the balcony of Federal Hall in 1789. This was also the same location of the passing of the Bill of Rights..

Investors are interested in one thing, a return on their investment. Shareholders elect their board of directors who in turn compete for the talent they believe has the greatest potential to create a return on investment.

Activist investors take on huge positions of a corporation and use their weight to increase their return on their investment. Private equity firms, hedge funds and wealthy individuals are types of entities that might decide to act as activist investors. One well-known activist investor is Carl Icahn. He can issue a tweet and move the market and make a Few $ billion for his effort. He's not likely to butt dial.

BTW, stocks and bonds built the U.S.

Old 10-08-2013, 02:47 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
My girl friend, who also works in the financial sector, was telling me how certain doctors that are customers have mortgages that are like $15,000 a month which is insane to believe until you actually run the numbers yourself.
Most MDs have no problem qualifying for 100 +% mortgages because unemployment is not an issue.

Old 10-08-2013, 02:48 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,126,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Alec, what are stock holders for $100?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
How would they go about doin' that without a market?
You pitch your business plan/project/expansion to potential investors and offer them a return. Sometimes you offer ownership, dividends, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies