Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 08:49 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,166,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
"Honey Boo Boo" is a top tv show.

Really, do we need any more evidence of American stupidity?
Here Comes Honey Boo Boo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It always amuses me the people who scoff at those stupid reality shows because these are the same people who are watching those shows, they just don't want anyone to know it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 09:03 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,645,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
What does giving a handout and providing healthcare have to do with educational attainment? A handout does not bestow economic prosperity.....a free doctors visit does not bestow IQ. What you seem to be suggesting is that having food on the table and a doctor's visit scheduled is enough to make America an educational powerhouse with a citizenry of superior intellect.

I challenge you to defend this assertion.
Well, there probably have been hundreds of studies concluding that healthy, well-fed children are able to learn and retain knowledge far better than sick, hungry children.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:12 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,645,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Rick Santorum: "President Obama wants every kid to go to college. What a snob!!"
That's cute, but Ricky got it wrong. Obama never said that he wants every kid to go to college.
More RW hyperbole.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:51 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,891,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
1 out of 4 Americans has a college degree. Says enough about the value of some of these cracker jack institutions. The majority of these degree holders wouldn't last a semester in a real college. You know, where the professors actually require critical thinking skills and learning as a prerequisite to a passing grade.

Teach the test, sliding scale grading... Same tricks from high school are following these kids up to the college level these days. And why not... These professors would rather not find themselves in heated discussions with parents demanding a passing grade for their little snowflakes.

1 out of 4 Americans do not have a degree.
I don't include internet degrees to be valid though the federal government will give you a managerial position for your slight effort. Says a lot about the federal workforce, right?

Who checks out your groceries for you? Who builds houses and does the pubic utility and roadwork? Who sells you your clothes? Who waits on you in bank? Who hauls your trash away eery few days? Who makes your Subway sandwich? Who is in Afghanistan with bullets flying at them?

I never got one but got enough schooling to command satellites for NASA and other big entities in the DC area. You only need to learn the real meat and potatoes then and your field. I know things they don't teach in university. I've had to teach college grads with 'impressive' degrees how to do the job they were hired for.
Its funny how that works. They get the recognition because of their title. The place falls apart if I don't show up. If they act snooty I let them flounder and they remember who is who. I wrote the software and configured the system - it's all documented but I own it. I got phones calls all the time after I retired because they didn't know. Duh...its all documented...what did college do for you?

Old 10-09-2013, 10:10 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,689,172 times
There is no need to educate the masses in today's world. Manufacturing jobs are thing of the past and the future of manufacturing is complete automation. Jobs will come back to the US but they will be in 'lights out" factories. The American worker is obsolete and therefore there is no need for extensive education.

The goal of education today is not to educate but instead to teach social order.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:13 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,166,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
There is no need to educate the masses in today's world. Manufacturing jobs are thing of the past and the future of manufacturing is complete automation. Jobs will come back to the US but they will be in 'lights out" factories. The American worker is obsolete and therefore there is no need for extensive education.

The goal of education today is not to educate but instead to teach social order.
I'm guessing you've never gone to college or else you wouldn't say something so ridiculous.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:17 AM

382 posts, read 721,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Most parents can't spend time with their kids because they must work 90hr/wk to put food on the table.
This includes married as well as single moms.

The trades and vocational certificate programs careers don't pay well.
Plus,nowadays you need a college degree even for trades.
An Rn used to be able to have a great career with a 2 yr degree...not anymore.
Now,a Bsn is the entry level to get a well paying nursing job.
One of the challenges in the US is that the idea of a "national vision" for how schools should work is considered too "statist" here (and maybe it is). But sometimes I think we Americans try to entertain conflicting goals for education and are surprised when things don't function.

I worked for many years in Europe, and while things aren't perfect by any means, I'll give you some of the contrasts I saw there, addressing your points:

1) State-subsidized childcare and extended maternity leave are standard.

2) At around 14/15, students matriculate into different high schools, based on ability and interests. If you go to a trade or vocational school, you leave with a marketable skill (anything from bricklayer to nurse). Sports and extracurricular activities are a very small part of high school (and college) life.

3) College prep students usually go on to (essentially free) universities, but the slots in some majors are usually limited and the schools are quite competitive. Very few people go to universities if they are the types who think "school sucks."

Old 10-09-2013, 02:20 PM

16,578 posts, read 8,600,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
As a teacher - when working towards my teaching degree in college we were taught that these IQ tests are culturally biased in a way that negatively effects African-Americans and Hispanic-Americans, but NOT Asian-Americans or white-Americans.....

We have more of these people being discriminated against by IQ testing than the best countries like Japan, Finland, Norway, Netherlands, etc....

In 1950 our country was 87% white. By 2050, we will be under 50% white. If it is true that various races are discriminated against by IQ tests...does it not make sense that our country's average IQ has been dropping since the 1950s and will continue to do so?????
It comes as no surprise that you were indoctrinated (i.e. brainwashed) into the uber liberal mantra that IQ tests are biased against minorities.
However assuming you are an independent thinking person who knows a snow job when you hear one, you should know that is absurd.
Unless of course you subscribe that blacks should be taught in "ebonics" and tests should be given that way as well. In that case, no brainwashing was probably needed in your case. Otherwise understand that minorities generally are not doing as well as whites and Asians for something other than biased testing.

`

Old 10-09-2013, 02:27 PM

16,578 posts, read 8,600,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Right- rationalizing ineptitude and failure with political correctness. How do you explain the blacks and Hispanics with high IQs?

Are you suggesting the IQ tests be written in Ebonics? Perhaps citizens IN AMERICA should be speaking ENGLISH. When that occurs, an IQ test in ENGLISH would be appropriate.

I just said as much responding to the same post without having read yours to that point.

I'm glad you threw in the PC aspect because it is never inappropriate for someone to say something positive about a minority compared with a white person (i.e. blacks generally run faster).
But God forbid you say whites might generally have a greater capacity intellectually, and the PC police want to shout you down for uttering an ugly truth.

`

Old 10-09-2013, 03:07 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,336,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I've been on these forums for awhile, and even before any talk about threads like this, I have been incredulous when people, on these forums alone, let alone anywhere else on the net, claim to have a college education yet do not understand basic grammar rules, sentence structure, spelling, math....everything I listed.

I guess they could all be lying about their education.
Ya think??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies