Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 11:38 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,223,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
I isn't dumb. I smart!
No, you just have poor grammar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 11:40 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
So...let me get this straight. Americans are dumb because we encourage higher education.

Holy s**t.
No. Use common sense and logic.

If EVERYONE is destined to pass and go to college after K-12 then one must teach to the lowest common denominator so that all pass.

That study shows our K-12 is producing low information adults.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:44 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,668,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
No. Use common sense and logic.

If EVERYONE is destined to pass and go to college after K-12 then one must teach to the lowest common denominator so that all pass.

That study shows our K-12 is producing low information adults.
Hmm, in that case, perhaps we should be teaching more about intelligent design.

But seriously, not everyone even graduates high school. Not everyone "passes" and plenty of people don't go to college.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:46 AM

744 posts, read 1,091,131 times
I agree. This is the country, after all, that elected Dumbya Bush twice. Much of it also has to do with poor quality of education in the red states, who drag the national average down.

And BTW, those "smart" countries...all would have voted for Obama over Romney by whopping margins. Here in Germany, for example, Obama would have won the 2012 election with over 70% of the vote. So it's little wonder why conservatives want to defund education in the US and teach junk science like creationism in the classroom.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:49 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Each one of the countries that scores higher than the U.S. has a generous welfare system and/or universal health care.

Got any more brilliant theories?
What does giving a handout and providing healthcare have to do with educational attainment? A handout does not bestow economic prosperity.....a free doctors visit does not bestow IQ. What you seem to be suggesting is that having food on the table and a doctor's visit scheduled is enough to make America an educational powerhouse with a citizenry of superior intellect.

I challenge you to defend this assertion.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:50 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,755,730 times
I don't think I would conclude we are not smart. We are consistent with the scores for the British and Irish, where our original founders came from. The Japanese and Scandinavians are smarter, but any observant person would not be surprised by that. Those ethnic groups are among the smartest in the world. We were in the middle of the pack, which given our racial and ethnic diversity, seems about right. We should try to up our game, of course, but these findings do not mean we are stupid, by any means. I think the most likely conclusion would be genetics more than politics.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:51 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan83 View Post
I agree. This is the country, after all, that elected Dumbya Bush twice. Much of it also has to do with poor quality of education in the red states, who drag the national average down.

And BTW, those "smart" countries...all would have voted for Obama over Romney by whopping margins. Here in Germany, for example, Obama would have won the 2012 election with over 70% of the vote. So it's little wonder why conservatives want to defund education in the US and teach junk science like creationism in the classroom.
"Conservatives want to defund education", huh? I'd reconcile that you should keep your nose in German politics since it's clear that you have no idea what you're talking about on this side of the Atlantic.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Hmm, in that case, perhaps we should be teaching more about intelligent design.

But seriously, not everyone even graduates high school. Not everyone "passes" and plenty of people don't go to college.
Everyone is put on an academic track.
NCLB mandated that if students didn't pass their state tests then the Fed would hold back money.

So with that in mind (losing money) the schools lowered the bar so that "No Child was Left Behind"

Old 10-08-2013, 11:52 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,668,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
"Conservatives want to defund education", huh? I'd reconcile that you should keep your nose in German politics since it's clear that you have no idea what you're talking about on this side of the Atlantic.
The hell are you talking about? Republicans vote to reduce education funding all the damn time.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:54 AM

Schools are funded by local property taxes.

All that extra money that Congress holds over their heads..NCLB and Title 1 is freebie money.
But schools have come to depend on it now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies