Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 03:08 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,447,778 times

Advertisements

I hear a lot of passionate opposition to the plan, but I hear nothing about alternative proposals. That goes for this forum as well as the Republicans.

Do you really favor a status quo where you quickly lose access to healthcare if your employer fires you; where 50 million remain uninsured who we all pay top dollar for when they end up in the ER given no preventative care; where insurance companies can drop your coverage when you need it most; where costs have already been skyrocketing for a long time; and where we lead the advanced world in cost per capita and get mediocre quality of life results in return?

I'm open to something else, but I don't think "just go back to the way it was" is sustainable. So...what is that "something else?"

The problem is that this is not the kind of a market where each participant can just bear the full cost of their consumption by themselves; by its very nature, costs need to somehow be shared between the healthy and the sick. That is the essence of the insurance concept. You need some sort of a comprehensive solution, because everyone is in the healthcare market, whether they like it or not.

If Republicans offered a clear, comprehensive solution that addressed cost, quality, and coverage, I could perhaps get behind it. It seems that all they are implying is "we don't care who has health insurance; every man, woman, and child for him/herself. All we care is that there is no Obamacare."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 03:12 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,668,392 times
OMG! Really? OMG!!!

How about paying your own way. You want insurance? Buy it yourself?

Or pay cash. You get big discounts for paying cash.

Insurance is NOT the government's job.

Old 10-07-2013, 03:13 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,676,201 times
ObamaCare can be replaced with a simple law that allows portability of health insurance for people that are between jobs, allows sale of insurance across state lines, and prohibits the practice of refusing to give health insurance, or dropping insurance to people with preexisting conditions.

There is no reason for all the heavy-handed federal government control that we see causing havoc with the ACA.

Old 10-07-2013, 03:16 PM

577 posts, read 512,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
OMG! Really? OMG!!!

The insurance I pay for has steadily gone up because it's having to pay for the uninsured via hospital overcharges to insurance. That is the unsustainable part the OP was refering to. ER visits costs taxpayers and the insured alot more than just going ahead and having a program in place that provides cheaper preventative care and heads off expensive ER visits.

Old 10-07-2013, 03:17 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
OMG! Really? OMG!!!

Actually that's exactly what ACA mandates......

Old 10-07-2013, 03:23 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,479,903 times
Quote:
OMG! Really? OMG!!!

Tell that to the person with pre-existing conditions.

Old 10-07-2013, 03:34 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,542,326 times
Health care used to be affordable, and it wasn't that long ago.

Start by importing a million physicians (over say 10 years) and putting them on a track to citizenship if they work in a doc in a box for a certain number of years. Let those who can't afford insurance seek their non-emergency medical care there.

Keep importing more and more until the health care monopolies are killed dead.

Second, force all providers to state their prices in public and up front. Any provider not complying goes to jail.

Old 10-07-2013, 03:37 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,047,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
I hear a lot of passionate opposition to the plan, but I hear nothing about alternative proposals. That goes for this forum as well as the Republicans.

Do you really favor a status quo where you quickly lose access to healthcare if your employer fires you; where 50 million remain uninsured who we all pay top dollar for when they end up in the ER given no preventative care; where insurance companies can drop your coverage when you need it most; where costs have already been skyrocketing for a long time; and where we lead the advanced world in cost per capita and get mediocre quality of life results in return?

I'm open to something else, but I don't think "just go back to the way it was" is sustainable. So...what is that "something else?"

The problem is that this is not the kind of a market where each participant can just bear the full cost of their consumption by themselves; by its very nature, costs need to somehow be shared between the healthy and the sick. That is the essence of the insurance concept. You need some sort of a comprehensive solution, because everyone is in the healthcare market, whether they like it or not.

If Republicans offered a clear, comprehensive solution that addressed cost, quality, and coverage, I could perhaps get behind it. It seems that all they are implying is "we don't care who has health insurance; every man, woman, and child for him/herself. All we care is that there is no Obamacare."
It's because you're not paying attention to the many, many conservative ideas.

Old 10-07-2013, 03:45 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post

Free clinics. They already exist.

Old 10-07-2013, 03:51 PM

577 posts, read 512,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Free clinics. They already exist.
Those are not free to taxpayers who are picking up the tab for the uninsured. At least the uninsured would be paying in something with the ACA instead of nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies