Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2013, 05:05 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,934,462 times

Advertisements

Union of Concerned Scientists Cooks the Books, Media Swallow It*
Debunking Misinformation About Stolen Climate Emails in the "Climategate" Manufactured Controversy | Union of Concerned Scientists

Last week the environmental lobbying group the Union of Concerned Scientists issued a new report entitled
"A Climate of Corporate Control: How Corporations Have Influenced the U.S. Dialogue on Climate Science and Policy" [PDF]. Among other things, the report claims to trace corporate donations in 2008 and 2009 to think tanks and politicians as a way to uncover the true corporate attitudes and intentions toward climate change science and policy. According to the UCS, its analysis reveals that some corporations are climate-change science hypocrites, claiming to support the climate-change “consensus” in some venues but not in others. This climate hypocrisy allegedly produces confusion among both the public and policymakers, resulting in the defeat or delay of urgent policies needed to address climate change.

Now this one is funny!!! A Union you can count on....
Kenji sniffs out stupid claims by the Union of Concerned Scientists

For those of you who don’t know yet, Kenji is our family dog. Kenji is also a official dues paying member of the Union of Concerned scientists. see: Friday Funny – The newest member of the Union of Concerned Scientists because as Kenji’s membership proved, you don’t need to be a scientist to join, all you need is a valid credit card.

Like any UCS member he gets propaganda informational mailings from them, for example, this one today:
Two Days left don't let Fox News win.......Dear UCS supporter,
Kenji sniffs out stupid claims by the Union of Concerned Scientists | Watts Up With That?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 05:31 PM

1,805 posts, read 1,466,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
34 years? Crap I might still be alive.
I'll be 94 so if I am alive I hope I will be beyond caring

Old 10-10-2013, 05:38 PM

1,805 posts, read 1,466,657 times
My personal theory is that the man made global warming is keeping us from the new ice age that was predicted back in the 70's.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:07 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,284,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
What retraction and what 'fallacy'.
The one the issued in October of 2006. It isn't right-wing denialist drivel so it's really no surprise you hadn't heard this, even though it's seven years old. Odd how well versed you are on their 40-year old back issues, though. And again, I posted a link to what the scientists of the day were really saying. I'll post it again for you if you like, I understand your reluctance to go looking for information that contradicts right-wing dogma.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:15 PM

Blog. Not written by a scientist. Not subject to any sort of peer-review or fact-checking. About as legitimate a source of scientific information as a fortune cookie. I know you guys know this, because I've explained it in endless denialist threads. It's clear you choose your sources based not on scientific credibility but on how closely they parrot right-wing claims. Next time you insult my intelligence this way I'll just laugh.

Also, regardless of what you think of the UCS, it doesn't change the findings of the six investigations cited.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:17 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Did you not say that science was predicting warming back in 1895? Why are you showing me media predictions?

And the Times wasn’t warning about global warming – it was telling readers the looming dangers of a new ice age. As the Times put it on Feb. 24, 1895, “Geologists Think the World May Be Frozen Up Again.”

Those concerns lasted well into the late 1920s. But when the earth’s surface warmed less than half a degree, newspapers and magazines responded with stories about the new threat. Once again the Times was out in front, cautioning “the earth is steadily growing warmer.”

By 1954, Fortune magazine was warming to another cooling trend and ran an article titled “Climate – the Heat May Be Off.”

The New York Times ran warming stories into the late 1950s, but in 1975, the paper reported: “A Major Cooling Widely Considered to Be Inevitable.”

News media is NOT science.
ok, first you obviously missed my mea culpa when i stated that i was WRONG on the 1895 times report. second, i was showing what the MEDIA was saying back then, and THEY were reporting what the scientists said. apparently you missed that also. i never claimed to be saying what the scientists said then. try a little reading comprehension for once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Even an amateur astronomer knows that Jupiter and the other planets mentioned have satellites, not "moons." The moon is the name of the Earth's (natural) satellite.
a natural body that orbits a planetary body is considered a moon. mars has two moons, bot hof which are most likely captured asteroids. pluto has three moons, charon is the largest and nearly the size of pluto, hydra and nix are much smaller, they are also captured asteroids. jupiter and saturn each have 62 moons. in fact the ONLY planets in out solar system that do not have moons are mercury and venus.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom lives View Post
Yea I know just like the Time article back in the 70's....Global cooling was a fact!!!

Attachment 119227

Why did you post a fake magazine cover? You aren't convincing me of your crackerjack critical thinking skills here, kids.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:26 PM

On the other hand, my Google-fu should just leave you flabbergasted. Here are the real covers from Oct 1977.
TIME Magazine - Search Results

Old 10-10-2013, 06:32 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
On the other hand, my Google-fu should just leave you flabbergasted. Here are the real covers from Oct 1977.
TIME Magazine - Search Results
the cover he is linking to is supposedly from april 6th 1977, however i didnt find that cover, so i also ask the question, why did he link to a fake cover?

Old 10-10-2013, 06:43 PM

Ha, you're right. October was the month Newseek issued their retraction. Got my eyes crossed for a second there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies