Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 01:58 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times

Advertisements

Possible, not only that, I'd say its probable.

I'd go as far as to say, I know police officers who have been hired to turn the other way when a certain business deal is being made, or certain fields to stay out of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 02:03 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,636,388 times
Most illegal drug cargo that comes up from Mexico goes through the official border checkpoints rather than over the fences or through the unfenced portions of frontier. There are two main ways to get that kind of material through a checkpoint - concealment (which certainly happens) or sending the load past "the right" agent(s) (which seems to be fairly common as well).

If your goal is to move "cargo" into a national distribution pipeline, you don't really need to buy off entire departments or branches of the judiciary. You just need a few hundred people in the right positions so that your work is not interrupted very often. Though if it became necessary, I'm sure it would be attempted.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:05 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Possible, not only that, I'd say its probable.

I'd go as far as to say, I know police officers who have been hired to turn the other way when a certain business deal is being made, or certain fields to stay out of.

I'll give you an example to add to yours. We recently had new neighbors move in 2 doors down. He is an assistant warden for nearby county prison. On Friday of Labor Day weekend, I was outside, and me being me and the friendly type said hello, and was like "wow you're getting home late." He said he had to stay to button down some things, and with the holiday weekend had to make sure none of his correction officers were aiding in smuggling in cigarettes, marijuana, cell phones and other drugs to the prisoners. He said there is big money in doing so. Now, where I was not me being me and had to bite my lip (to the point of almost bleeding) was remaining silent, and just nodding. What I really wanted to express was my feelings on why the war on drugs is total hypocrisy, and the fact that his prison guards operate above the law just reinforces that!

Old 10-10-2013, 02:20 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
Of course. The Police have always been involved in the drug trade.

To put things in perspective, when one of the biggest heroin dealers was arrested in 1970's NYC, and he took a plea to lessen his sentence, 75% of the NYC DEA went down with him.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:28 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Cops run their own drug rings... they don't need the cartels.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:47 PM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Cops and public officials on the take? Say it ain't so!!! Ever wonder why politicians, at all levels of government, would spend millions from their personal wealth, to be elected to a job that pays between 50 and 150 K a year? What COULD the incentive be? Gee...I wonder... There are a lot of cops out there that bave real nice houses, nice cars and trucks, water craft, toys gallore. All on a salary that starts around 30 K? Must have an awsome credit rating. Payments must suck.

Nobody is going go shake that tree though. What falls out can be danverous.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:47 PM

3,332 posts, read 1,963,030 times
Default entirely possible

and most likely probable.

When a cop sees a drug dealer wearing a watch that costs twice what he or she makes in a year... well you do the math.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:51 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
1920 called, looking for an answer to this question.
Wow, great post. The criminal justice system and the war on drugs run the profits on drugs up to the stratosphere. Corruption is the inevitable result. The war on drugs is sponsored by an unholy alliance between cops and drug dealers; it enriches both.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:54 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Basically the cops who play both sides of the drug war I find to be the lowest of the low! The war on drugs is a failure, and needs to be ended once and for all.

Old 10-10-2013, 03:06 PM

16,600 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
It's happened in New Orleans before. Don't doubt it's happened elsewhere.
The best example which no one has mentioned yet is the Miami River Cops back in the 80's. They were involved in protection, intimidation, evidence tampering, and even murder for drug lords. Heck some even became drug dealers themselves.
Even if you were to look up stories about them, I'd bet dollars to donuts that the primary reason they came about would not be discussed in the mainsteam articles.

The reason it occurred was due to a federal/state program of Affirmative Action. That is right, a crazy scheme to hire minorities at an accelerated rate to meet a quota system put in place. So instead of rejecting the typical applicant with a questionable past or character flaws, they hired any and every applicant based on their race or gender. They even went so far as to hire applicants with past criminal records. Needless to say it didn't take long for these so called police to allow their lack of a moral compass to start committing crime themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies