Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 08:56 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,472,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
How so?
Originally Posted by Kracer
Irresponsible people cast irresponsible votes, welcome to obamaworld where the village raises the children.

That phrase is taken from an collection of several African proverbs that state the similar idea: It takes a village to raise a child.

If you were obtuse, you would deliberately misunderstand the meaning like Kracer did thinking that the welfare state has anything to do with the meaning of this phrase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 09:00 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I think one of the reasons that marriage has gone down in American SOCIETY, in general, is due to the changed role of women. The traditional role of the man was as provider and protector and society generally facilitated these roles by discrimination against women. Women were traditionally not to have jobs, but when they did, only certain type of jobs. This created a dependency on men and forced women to carry themselves and behave in a manner that would best secure a man who would provide for her.

Today most women do not need a man to provide for her, because they are more educated than in the past and most jobs are open to women more so than in the past. That is not to suggest that women are now free from employment discrimination, because that is not true. However, women today make enough money to take care of themselves, as well as their kids, if need be and those at the bottom of the economic ladder can get government assistance.

As a result of not NEEDING a man to be the provider.....many women do not carry themselves like they used to and men don't see them as "wife" material. Who wants to marry a women who slept with the football team? I know I am going to get jumped on for such a statement....but there is simply to much promiscuity, bedding on the first date, freaky stuff and the like going on with many women. No Thanks! I would not want to marry a women like that. All I would do with a women like that is hit it...and quit it.
ITA with you, especially in regards to the last paragraph cause if I were a guy I wouldn't want to marry more than half the women I meet lol.

And I do agree that many women, and I am quoting my grandmother "make themselves a semen receptacle" lol (my grandmother was very classy even though she was a "new woman" as she was college educated and had a very good career in the early 1960s but she still felt that women should be lady-like and not become "trash cans for willing men").

So I do think it is a societal thing and on the other end, many younger men are content to sit on their butts and let their women take care of them and also be all freaky and spread themselves around - the "hot" women have to have someone to tame the flame you know. So we are becoming very dysfunctional in many ways as it relates to traditional relationships of old. Time will tell what will happen.

Old 10-11-2013, 09:01 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
When someone today tells me they have kids and aren't married, I ask them how their little b*stards are doing. They get indignant of course. I explain it's not the kids fault.
No you don't! Gimme a break.

You'd get the taste slapped out of your mouth.

Old 10-11-2013, 09:04 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,920,039 times
Marriage is largely becoming a outdated institution legally and socially.

Old 10-11-2013, 09:04 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
This is a trend I don't like, but you can't make people get married.

Old 10-11-2013, 09:08 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,779,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
More than half of births to American women younger than 30 are outside marriage, research has found.
And across all ages, a staggering four in ten women are not married when they have children.

The data shows the fastest growth in the past 20 years is among white women in their 20s with some college education but no four-year degree.

Read more: Most children in U.S. born out of wedlock | Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

The reason why I put this is I saw another thread that claimed that 70% of black women have children out of wedlock. Yet the trend now in the USA is most babies whatever race they are is they they were born out of wedlock parents.
Sounds like the ultimate goal of the "Welfare" programs of the 1960s - to destroy the family by making it more economically beneficial to not have a Daddy around - has come to fruition.

Old 10-11-2013, 09:12 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
ITA with you, especially in regards to the last paragraph cause if I were a guy I wouldn't want to marry more than half the women I meet lol.

And I do agree that many women, and I am quoting my grandmother "make themselves a semen receptacle" lol (my grandmother was very classy even though she was a "new woman" as she was college educated and had a very good career in the early 1960s but she still felt that women should be lady-like and not become "trash cans for willing men").

So I do think it is a societal thing and on the other end, many younger men are content to sit on their butts and let their women take care of them and also be all freaky and spread themselves around - the "hot" women have to have someone to tame the flame you know. So we are becoming very dysfunctional in many ways as it relates to traditional relationships of old. Time will tell what will happen.
Thanks for that! I agree with you 100%. I am in my late 40's and I can remember when a lot of sisters would not do certain type of bedroom acts. Right or wrong, brothers back in the day would go looking for a white girl because the perception was that they did it all. Today.....a lot of sisters do it all too....and then some. Why would I want to be kissing on a women, let alone make her my wife, when she done did all sorts of things with many other guys? I like an old fashioned women.....I would give my life protecting a women like that. A lot of these women now will get you killed over some BS.....because they don't know how to carry themselves.

Old 10-11-2013, 09:13 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,941,962 times
The OP's facts are wrong:

FASTSTATS - Unmarried Childbearing

Percent of all births to unmarried women: 40.7%

40.7% is not "most."

Old 10-11-2013, 09:28 AM

2,413 posts, read 2,985,263 times
I don't hear one person (man?) here placing any responsibility on men. Perhaps if young men would step up and act like a man, things would be different. And yet you give men a pass and place all the blame on women. Young women aren't ladylike enough? Give me a break. Indentured Servant says he'd "hit it...and quit it." Quite the gentleman he is...NOT!

Old 10-11-2013, 09:32 AM

16,910 posts, read 10,582,210 times
I wouldn't read into this as the decay of moral society. Eliminate lifetime alimony in all state and create a fair method of distribution post-divorce for both men and women, and then see how may people get married.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies