Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 08:04 AM

229 posts, read 163,745 times

Advertisements

They pulled out of the exchanges, not the state market.

The independent insurance agents are screaming the the exchanges are taking away their commissions.
The exchanges are just insurance agents, noting else.
You get the same exact insurance, if you walk down the street to your local independent insurance agent.

Obamacare is not about healthcare at all. It is all about the insurance lobby.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:15 AM

78,414 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
then you do understand the problem is the government and it overbearing regulations itself
Just don't criticize the healthcare insurers, their lobbyists etc. for their role in things. If you do, somebody will start crying that you are defending them.

This is the bizarro thread for sure....

Old 10-16-2013, 08:20 AM

More edumacation for the ill-informed partisans posting here....

Health Sector Has Donated Millions to Lawmakers - Washington Post

Quote:
The biggest beneficiaries in the Senate included John McCain (R-Ariz.), with $546,000; Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), with $425,000; and Max Baucus (D-Mont.), with $413,000, who as head of the Finance Committee will play a leading role in the debate over health-care reform.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:28 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
As a Nebraskan, this directly reduces the choices we have. I'd like to know what our options are, but I've been unable to see what plans are available through Healthcare.gov after trying for nearly two weeks straight to get through their horribly broken website.

My wife's insurance plan is getting cancelled, directly due to Obamacare, so we're now scrambling to find something that's not going to cost far more than what we are currently paying. The plan they moved her to will cost us thousands more in out-of-pocket costs next year, but has the same premium.
Out-of-pocket costs are capped under the ACA. I would suspect that you are getting more coverage too.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:33 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Out-of-pocket costs are capped under the ACA. I would suspect that you are getting more coverage too.
hmmm

I looked into it

ACA would cost me MORE each month...MORE each visit (copay)...and give me LESS coverage

Old 10-16-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Good point.

This is a common issue anytime the government changes laws re: coverages, coverage levels etc. or a legal decision is made changing the playing field.

There are resulting price changes (sometims up, sometimes down) because the underlying coverage is no longer the same.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:56 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
This was an intended effect of the large healthcare insurers when they helped write most of the legislation.

They added fixed expense and "consumer protection" regulations that makes it harder for smaller companies to compete with the big healthcare insurers.

Mandatory, for-profit insurance with provisions that stifle the competition. What's not to love?
It sounds like the plan is to kill off the smaller, independent insurance companies until the government is left with only a few very large insurers, and then they will be easier to control.

The government was trying to do that with the oil companies. The smaller, independent oil companies can take advantage of a depreciation tax law, but the large multinational companies cannot use it. So Obama tried to remove this tax break for only oil companies, claiming it was a free federal subsidy to the big oil companies. The big oil companies were happy to see this depreciation allowance go away because it would destroy most of their domestic, independent competitors. Most of the public bought into it, but the congress did not go for it.

It's almost like our federal government is trying to promote a form of fascism, where all we have left are the corporate cronies, and a handful of corporations that government can more easily control and manipulate.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:07 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:
A nice bit of consumer protection eh? Only one problem with that, Obama delayed that too. So sorry, the caps went bye-bye until 2015. You just never know what sections of the law have been ignored, and which have not. This is the new lawless chaos that we live in, the law is only "the law of the land," if the king wants it to be so.

A Limit on Consumer Costs Is Delayed in Health Care Law

So tell us why Obama can't just delay this not-ready-for-prime-time law again? It's clearly not freaking ready!!!

Old 10-16-2013, 09:27 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,620,776 times
Quote:
Our previous plan also had capped out-of-pocket costs, but the new plan they moved my wife to has a much higher out-of-pocket cap.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:39 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
Our previous plan also had capped out-of-pocket costs, but the new plan they moved my wife to has a much higher out-of-pocket cap.
The reason your policy changed is because it did not have the minimum provisions required in Obamacare. Therefore, that particular policy will no longer exist under the new law.

You can't blame Obamacare because your company selected substandard insurance. If you read the policy you will find it has more coverage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies