Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 11:24 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,833,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Lib logic?

What happens when you add up all these little "drops in the bucket"?
id gladly cut military for the african power initiative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 11:27 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,222,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Lib logic?

What happens when you add up all these little "drops in the bucket"?
You fill up the bucket to the point where additional water is wasted.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:31 AM

1,455 posts, read 2,495,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
7 billion is chump change. every hour, taxpayers are paying 61 million for the department of defense.
Correct, and we are receiving a tangible service and benefit for that expenditure. What is the benefit of Power Africa, to the USA? The question I ask myself is not what it costs, but how could we better spend that money, and in my case at least, the answer is pretty clear.

Oh and BTW, I am not a raving righty or a loony lefty and am flexible on my political stance when I see something, that to me at least, doesn't make sense.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:36 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,222,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timfountain View Post
Correct, and we are receiving a tangible service and benefit for that expenditure. What is the benefit of Power Africa, to the USA? The question I ask myself is not what it costs, but how could we better spend that money, and in my case at least, the answer is pretty clear.

Oh and BTW, I am not a raving righty or a loony lefty and am flexible on my political stance when I see something, that to me at least, doesn't make sense.
If I had to guess...

Increase in consumer spending that goes to the corporations that own our congressmen.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:37 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,592,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I doubt we are just handing over 7B to African Governments. It is more likely that we are paying politically-connected US companies 7B in federal bids to build infrastructure in Africa
Yes, it is a way to promote US Exports and US Projects. The money will end up in US. People need to read up about how these things are handeled. Yes, it is possible to help other countries while helping our own country.

The Overseas Private Investment Corporation (OPIC) will commit up to $1.5 billion in financing and insurance to energy projects in sub-Saharan Africa.

The U.S. Export-Import Bank (Ex-Im) will make available up to $5 billion in support of U.S. exports for the development of power projects across sub-Saharan Africa.

Quote:

The mission of the Bank is to create and sustain U.S. jobs by financing sales
of U.S. exports to international buyers. The Bank is chartered as a government
corporation by the Congress of the United States

Old 10-11-2013, 11:44 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,833,729 times
Quote:

we make an investment and it will pay off in the future.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:55 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,436,896 times
Because we have to one-up China who has been investing in Africa for quite some time now while we were off fighting those terrorists in the ME.

Old 10-11-2013, 12:12 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,150,494 times
Quote:
What the hell is wrong with us? Why would we spend such vast amounts of money to bring power to impoverished parts of Africa?
Are you for real? This is like so simple, it's too simple.

Quote:
I just don't get why this gets the green light with barely a murmur of dissent whilst taking care of our own citizens healthcare needs causes a total meltdown in our society.
You don't power up Africa and you will have a total melt-down.

If you don't want to end up like Greece and Belarus...and I don't mean temporarily, I mean for the rest of th existence of the US, then you need to stop BRIC.

If BRIC develops sub-Saharan Africa, you'll be longing for the days of 8% Unemployment.

The goal of the US is to delay or halt the development of sub-Saharan African States.

The US will do that by disrupting governments using the US military, the War on Terrorâ„¢ or trade in order to get its foot in the door and have some influence. The US won't really provide any power, it's just a Carrot-on-a-Stick to tease, in order to get governments to bow down to the US.

It's not like you haven't seen this before.

Use the Search Function. How many threads or posts are there on C-D with some lame person whining and crying and sniveling about "Out-Sourcing/Off-Shoring?"

If you can't handle a teeny little bit of Off-Shoring to China, I don't know what in the hell you're going to do about Southwest Asia, or Central Asia, or sub-Saharan Africa. Development is shifting right now to Southwest Asia.

Your average sub-Saharan African earns about $0.08 to $0.14 per day right now.

And no, I didn't stutter.

Wages typically double every 10 years in developing-States. About 30-40 years from now when sub-Saharan Africa shifts to the high end 2nd Level Economy, and then to the 3rd Level, you'll see even more jobs flying out of America.

That's what this is about. You have a drone base in Libya, and military bases in Ethiopia. You been trying to get that oil in Somalia ever since you murdered President Schemarke back in 1969 (I think that was the year). Maybe one day you'll actually get it.

Quote:
I might be looking at this wrong, but vast swaths of Africa have been living for 1000's of years without power, but now we suddenly need to bring them electricity and pay for it out of our own pockets? I thought Africa was supposed to be be mineral rich?
Sub-Saharan Africa is mineral rich, and the US will attempt to steal all of it, just like it stole all the resources from about 70-odd countries.

Don't worry, it'll be a lot like Guatemala.

Remember?

Maybe you don't.

The US spent a few $Million powering up a couple of major cities in Guatemala, and then turned the power plants over to Chiquita. Yeah, the Chiquita, the corporation. Chiquita then had a 100% monopoly on electrical power in Guatemala and Chiquita naturally charged monopolistic rates, profiting off of the power plants built with US tax-payer dollars.

And then the US government seized the only port in Guatemala, and gave it to Chiquita.

And then Chiquita built lots of roads leading to the port, and charged tolls to use the roads, and tariffs, duties and fees to use the port.

The Guatemalan people got nothing, but then they are non-White so that's okay.

Then, President Arbenz attempted to build power plants so that Chiquita no longer had a monopoly, and President Truman tried to murder Arbenz in cold-blood for heinous crime of Developing While Non-White. Truman's plans to commit murder in cold-blood were cancelled at the last minute, but the Eisenhower illegally over-threw Arbenz and installed another puppet-dictator to oppress the Guatemalan people.

That's how it works.

Don't worry...you'll get the quarterback...eventually...

Mircea

Old 10-11-2013, 12:46 PM

1,455 posts, read 2,495,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Are you for real? This is like so simple, it's too simple.

You don't power up Africa and you will have a total melt-down.

If you don't want to end up like Greece and Belarus...and I don't mean temporarily, I mean for the rest of th existence of the US, then you need to stop BRIC.

If BRIC develops sub-Saharan Africa, you'll be longing for the days of 8% Unemployment.

The goal of the US is to delay or halt the development of sub-Saharan African States.

The US will do that by disrupting governments using the US military, the War on Terrorâ„¢ or trade in order to get its foot in the door and have some influence. The US won't really provide any power, it's just a Carrot-on-a-Stick to tease, in order to get governments to bow down to the US.

It's not like you haven't seen this before.

Use the Search Function. How many threads or posts are there on C-D with some lame person whining and crying and sniveling about "Out-Sourcing/Off-Shoring?"

If you can't handle a teeny little bit of Off-Shoring to China, I don't know what in the hell you're going to do about Southwest Asia, or Central Asia, or sub-Saharan Africa. Development is shifting right now to Southwest Asia.

Your average sub-Saharan African earns about $0.08 to $0.14 per day right now.

And no, I didn't stutter.

Wages typically double every 10 years in developing-States. About 30-40 years from now when sub-Saharan Africa shifts to the high end 2nd Level Economy, and then to the 3rd Level, you'll see even more jobs flying out of America.

That's what this is about. You have a drone base in Libya, and military bases in Ethiopia. You been trying to get that oil in Somalia ever since you murdered President Schemarke back in 1969 (I think that was the year). Maybe one day you'll actually get it.

Sub-Saharan Africa is mineral rich, and the US will attempt to steal all of it, just like it stole all the resources from about 70-odd countries.

Don't worry, it'll be a lot like Guatemala.

Remember?

Maybe you don't.

The US spent a few $Million powering up a couple of major cities in Guatemala, and then turned the power plants over to Chiquita. Yeah, the Chiquita, the corporation. Chiquita then had a 100% monopoly on electrical power in Guatemala and Chiquita naturally charged monopolistic rates, profiting off of the power plants built with US tax-payer dollars.

And then the US government seized the only port in Guatemala, and gave it to Chiquita.

And then Chiquita built lots of roads leading to the port, and charged tolls to use the roads, and tariffs, duties and fees to use the port.

The Guatemalan people got nothing, but then they are non-White so that's okay.

Then, President Arbenz attempted to build power plants so that Chiquita no longer had a monopoly, and President Truman tried to murder Arbenz in cold-blood for heinous crime of Developing While Non-White. Truman's plans to commit murder in cold-blood were cancelled at the last minute, but the Eisenhower illegally over-threw Arbenz and installed another puppet-dictator to oppress the Guatemalan people.

That's how it works.

Don't worry...you'll get the quarterback...eventually...

Mircea
Er, ok, not really sure what your point it, you seem to be rambling and all over the place.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:27 PM

45,542 posts, read 27,146,343 times
Quote:
But we have to start somewhere, and $7B is not a drop in the bucket when compared to some other expenditures that have generated a LOT more friction.
Agreed.

Don't know what's more troubling - the people who spend, or the fact that at least half of the voting public is OK with this when we are hemorrhaging money and debt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies